Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooker switch problem

• 07-11-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

My cooker switch on the wall has melted where one of the wires connects to it, the wire has melted too. This is the second switch to go this way. Do I need an electrician to check if there is a problem ? or is it just caused by damp ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It's unlikely to be dampness as the main cause, but it may well be contributing. It may well be a combination of a cheap switch and badly installed switch giving rise to excessive sparking at the contacts. An electrician would be highly advised, especially in light of the fact that the cable is also melted. The cable may well need replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

So the switch might be the problem ? just cant take the power ? How will I know what switch to buy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

2qk4u wrote: »
    So the switch might be the problem ? just cant take the power ? How will I know what switch to buy ?
    It's highly unlikely to be the fault of the switch only. After the electric shower, the cooker is draws the most amount of current in the house, and therefore one of the most dangerous and not a simple DIY change the switch job. Considering 2 switches have gone the same way, they may well have been poorly installed leading to sparking/melting. Like I said, and electrician is highly advised in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I agree with the Electrician suggestion. The switch most likely is under-rated for the load that crosses it, hence the damage, plus there could also be something else taken off the cable, like an extractor fan causing a problem. If the cable shield has melted, then it will need to be replaced too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

id say the problem was the connection was not tight enough when the switch was installed and the is a big enough load on a cooker causing it to arc (spark). the correct switch to use is a 45 amp double pole switch you will get one of these in any electrical wholesalers the cable might need to be replaced if the cable is damaged and there is not any slack to strip back the wire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement