Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Pitman Training diploma get you a caeer?

Options
  • 07-11-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I've been at Pitman about a couple of months now, and I was told that once I qualify I can go straight into my chosen career, however the course I'm studying seems to be more of an introduction and I was told that an introduction is all they do.

So have I wasted my time and money going there? Should I have just gone to college in September instead? Has anyone gotten into their chosen careers from this place?

Comments

What is your chosen career?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gerarda

Were you told it was an introduction before you signed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

I don't think introductory courses are all they do. Their Medical and Legal Secretary Diplomas are certainly up there as the best available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭City Boi

gerarda wrote: »
    Were you told it was an introduction before you signed up?

No they said it would prepare me for my first interview in that field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

ya, that's fairly normal, you should get some interview skills training anyway, but I gather you have to request this rather than it being timetabled as part of your course.

Did you choose a Diploma or just a few modules? Really the Diplomas are the best.

My sister is a Legal Secretary and she has worked with loads of Pitman graduates, and says her employers love taking them on because they have all the practical skills like typing etc needed rather than just the theory.

• Advertisement

ya, that's fairly normal, you should get some interview skills training anyway, but I gather you have to request this rather than it being timetabled as part of your course.

Did you choose a Diploma or just a few modules? Really the Diplomas are the best.

My sister is a Legal Secretary and she has worked with loads of Pitman graduates, and says her employers love taking them on because they have all the practical skills like typing etc needed rather than just the theory.

Yeah I chose a Diploma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 suesuex

Hi im interested in how that course panned out for you . I am thinking doing their medical secretary course. As it costs alot I'd like to know if it is worthwhile.:rolleyes:

suesuex wrote: »
    Hi im interested in how that course panned out for you . I am thinking doing their medical secretary course. As it costs alot I'd like to know if it is worthwhile.:rolleyes:

Hi, it was very good, I'm just waiting on the results now, hope it will help me in my job search.

I went to the one in Pearse St. A lovely place with very helpful and polite staff, if you need any assistance with anything they are over to you straight away and happy to help. I would rate the place very highly indeed.

Best of luck:)

Advertisement