Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why not a TV season ticket.

• 07-11-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Why don't sky/setanta/espn or whoever offer a season ticket for your premiership team.
    In the case of Sky they have cameras at every single game. On Football First one can choose which match to watch. So why not offer like a season ticket where you pay to watch your own favourite team playing every week.
    Is it a case that clubs are worried about losing bums on seats or something because attendances are falling at a lot of the grounds as it is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It's only a matter of time, it's done in most other countries (markets?)

Next up: CGI crowds in grounds and piped singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Satellite dish + card = problems solved. You also don't have to listen to idiots like Andy Gray's rambling on during a game. Win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mostly due to the fear of attendances falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Next up: CGI crowds in grounds and piped singing.

Remember in the 90s when stadiums were being done up. Some of them had photos or paintings of "crowds".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kakee wrote: »
    Remember in the 90s when stadiums were being done up. Some of them had photos or paintings of "crowds".

For people who think football is something delivered on a 32" screen that isn't something to be worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The famous Highbury North Bank mural :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

There was a time when St Johnstone had carboard cut-outs of people to fill the stands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Wont happen coz it'd mean clubs would end up negotiating their own deals which neither sky nor the pl want since itd mean more to the big boys and less to the rest

Itd be nice in theory but we wont see it any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Wont happen coz it'd mean clubs would end up negotiating their own deals which neither sky nor the pl want since itd mean more to the big boys and less to the rest

Don't the premier league own the tv rights. It wouldn't really matter to sky as if they were providing the tv services they would actually be making more money that they are now.
    Sky could still show matches like they do now but could start like a seperate "Premiership Channel" for people who have bought a "season ticket" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Don't the premier league own the tv rights. It wouldn't really matter to sky as if they were providing the tv services they would actually be making more money that they are now.
    Sky could still show matches like they do now but could start like a seperate "Premiership Channel" for people who have bought a "season ticket" .

IIRC a form of this idea existed between 2001 and 2006. It was cut at the end of the 2005/2006 season. I purchased quite a few games of this channel in 2002/2003 when the Hammers were in the Prem, and I didnt buy again until they returned in 2005.

It wasnt really value for money. It cost roughly £7.99 per game, and the overall "season ticket" was something in the range of £120.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

That was prem plus, its not what the op is talking about

Op, if united have fifty times more subs than wigan they make fifty times more. At the mo they all make the same, season tickets would see even more widening of the financial gap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Glazers hope this happens soon I bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

flahavaj wrote: »
    The Glazers hope this happens soon I bet.

I suspect clued in United fans would be similarly inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Wouldnt it cost sky more money than it will bring them?

How many people would go for a "season ticket" and get rid off the full sky subscription?
    They will miss out on 2 full months of subscription money (June and July)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see it happening anytime soon. It would signal the start of clubs negotiating their own TV deals, something which the FA and Premier League are determined never happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I suspect clued in United fans would be similarly inclined.

Indeed - though while I would see it as a solution to the massive problems I feel United are facing with regards to the debt, it is not a road I would like to see the premiership go down because it would kill all but the top 4 or 5 clubs. The disproportionate distribution of cash it would create would be terrible for the league in general, which already suffers from an imbalance due to CL money.

In saying that, if it was offered I would certainly be interested in it as a product. I suspect my GF would be none to impressed though!

Wouldn't be my preferred choice of a season ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The only way this could work would be through a revenue sharing scheme, where all the monies collected by clubs selling season TV ticket packages would be shared out evenly with all clubs in the league - like in the NFL.

Another thing to consider would be the "out of market" policy that mlb use (or at least used to use, anyway), so that attendances don't suffer too much. Basically their online season ticket lets you pick whichever game you want to watch, but if you live in Boston you can't watch the Red Sox game, for example.

I'd imagine the Premier League/Sky have looked at it. It'd be interesting to see if it would work, and in what format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

it is not a road I would like to see the premiership go down because it would kill all but the top 4 or 5 clubs.!

/scene cuts to long-open stable door with horse galloping in distance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What i think will happen is an online/mobile phone season ticket type thing.

But i can't see myself swapping from my current set up of sopcast and that YES channel with the high bit rate. We pop it onto the huge tv and it's as good as having paid for SS or ESPN plus you can get to choose whatever match you want to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i want one of these for football and i could kick my upc subscription...

https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/registerform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

For people who think football is something delivered on a 32" screen that isn't something to be worried about.
    Dont worry it will be available in 3D any day now!

They may even eventually have players wearing remote-controlled bionic leg packs so that Arab or Russian benefactors can actually override the player's chosen movements. So for example, if Sheikh Mansour gets bored, he can force the team to play a 1-9 formation even if the players are trying to get into their original positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Jaysus you'd buy a season ticket to watch it on the tele but won't buy one to go to the matches. Extreme barstoolerism. ( yes that is a word)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

BOHtox wrote: »
    Jaysus you'd buy a season ticket to watch it on the tele but won't buy one to go to the matches. Extreme barstoolerism. ( yes that is a word)

TBF I'd suspect a 'telly season ticket' would cost no more than €200(probably less), where as a season ticket for United is in the region of £650-700(I think, probably wrong) and when you factor in flights and stuff you'd be saving at a very rough estimate about €2,000. Could be wayyy of with my figures, though.:pac:
    Telly can't beat live games, though so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah you wouldn't want to miss out on great experiences like this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It lookslike there's chewing gum flying out of his mouth just after the goalie kicks out the ball.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Too much football on TV as it is.

baz2009 wrote: »
    TBF I'd suspect a 'telly season ticket' would cost no more than €200(probably less), where as a season ticket for United is in the region of £650-700(I think, probably wrong) and when you factor in flights and stuff you'd be saving at a very rough estimate about €2,000. Could be wayyy of with my figures, though.:pac:
    Telly can't beat live games, though so..

You're either a pi staker or not getting the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

what a complete and utter dickhead , how can the rest of the people sitting around him watch the game with that kinda carry on !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Poor choice of word. 'Can't' would be more appropriate for the majority of folk here.

Unless of course you're a LoI militant looking to steer another thread down that particular road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I think this will happen within the next ten years.

Equal share of profits is the only way it will work though. And obviously the premier league know this.

I got rid of my sky sub and save
    €33 a month now, but still get to watch every single Arsenal game online for free. This is what will eventually force the premier league and sky's hand. Consumers drive the market. You either adapt or go the way of the music industry.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Poor choice of word. 'Can't' would be more appropriate for the majority of folk here.

Unless of course you're a LoI fan looking to steer another thread down that particular road?

Poor choice of word militant

Poor choice of word militant

So no denial that you were attempting to derail the thread by pushing an irrelevant agenda?

And then folk wonder why other folk dislike the LoI and its fans.

I've ended up sitting beside nuts like that in the pub far more times than I have at games in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The only way this could work would be through a revenue sharing scheme, where all the monies collected by clubs selling season TV ticket packages would be shared out evenly with all clubs in the league - like in the NFL.

Another thing to consider would be the "out of market" policy that mlb use (or at least used to use, anyway), so that attendances don't suffer too much. Basically their online season ticket lets you pick whichever game you want to watch, but if you live in Boston you can't watch the Red Sox game, for example.

I'd imagine the Premier League/Sky have looked at it. It'd be interesting to see if it would work, and in what format.

I had a conversation about the season ticket issue with someone connected with Setanta a while back. He said the full TV season ticket is a way off, and is probably unlikely to happen - but what is a possibility is an away season ticket.

So for example the ManU supporter could pay an annual fee and would get live coverage of every away ManU league match. The proceeds though would be divided equally among every home club, with a small bonus to the away club - so it would still be near enough to equal revenue sharing, which should mean the smaller premiership clubs wouldnt veto it.

This also means home attendances shouldnt be affected.

The normal Sky/ESPN/Setanta subs would still be offered (the away season ticket seen as an add-on, in the hope that viewers would still get the standard package to watch home games, games involving other clubs, cups, etc.).

The biggest stumbling block is the UK ban on live 3pm games on Saturdays, because this would impact attendances at lower league games. And that seems not for shifting, which is why the away season ticket has not come in yet (the resolution would be to make the standard premiership game have a 2pm Sunday kickoff, which there is not the appetite for just yet, although with every season that goes by people are getting more used to games happening at times other than 3pm on a Saturday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

No it's really not.

TV Season Ticket maybe €150 (at most)

Actual Season Ticket €1,050 + Travel costs + Cup games

hell of a difference for people

Iago wrote: »
    No it's really not.

Hey maybe thats why everyone else in the world supports a team close to them. Eureka!

CiaranC wrote: »
    Hey maybe thats why everyone else in the world supports a team close to them. Eureka!

Firstly I don't think it's everybody else in the world by any means, but forgetting that.

Given the choice between eating in a Michelin Star restaurant and rocking up in McDonalds I know what I'm choosing.

Firstly I don't think it's everybody else in the world by any means, but forgetting that.

Given the choice between eating in a Michelin Star restaurant and rocking up in McDonalds I know what I'm choosing.
    You are going to eat out once a year and spend the rest of it watching Masterchef on the telly? :P

Maybe you could get a Masterchef season ticket and pretend to be restaurant critic as well :)

• Advertisement

And what about those who no longer live beside the club they support? I'd love a Shels tv season tickets as much as a City one.

Would be feckin class cause as it is I see next to nothing of the LoI unfortunately.

You are going to eat out once a year and spend the rest of it watching Masterchef on the telly? :P

Maybe you could get a Masterchef season ticket and pretend to be restaurant critic as well :)

lol :)

Doesn't apply to me specifically obviously as I eat out most weekends of the year, but there are plenty who would rather eat out once a year than ever darken the door of a McDonalds and plenty that have to save up for a year to be able to eat out. It's not my place to criticise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The biggest stumbling block is the UK ban on live 3pm games on Saturdays, because this would impact attendances at lower league games. And that seems not for shifting, which is why the away season ticket has not come in yet (the resolution would be to make the standard premiership game have a 2pm Sunday kickoff, which there is not the appetite for just yet, although with every season that goes by people are getting more used to games happening at times other than 3pm on a Saturday)

Well if there ever was a season ticket it would have to originate as a outside the UK product only, until such a time as the Saturday 3pm games on TV issue is sorted.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So no denial that you were attempting to derail the thread by pushing an irrelevant agenda?

And then folk wonder why other folk dislike the LoI and its fans.
    No it's really not.

see below

see below

But they don't so get over it.

This isn't a witch hunt about who folk support, it's about catering for the needs that they have and won't be changing no matter how many anti-English football mantras you chime out.

Here Xavi, do you go along to Perth Glory over there?

Here Xavi, do you go along to Perth Glory over there?

Absolutely because for me there's nothing better than live sport, even if Glory have lost 7 of their last 8. I also go to the Super 14 and AFL games.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike fickle fans who don't support their local brand of football as much as the next person, but trying to shove that down people's throats at every available opportunity does more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I like Masterchef.

Advertisement