Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options
  • 07-11-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Just two days ago I got banned from AH for "abuse" as a result of the infamous "I was asked for my religion today" thread. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074758

I can see quite well how my final few posts in the thread could be viewed as abusive from an outside point of view. Those that had been following the thread from the beginning however would have more than likely sympathised with what I said. Now let me clarify something first, people that know me and my posts know well that my posts are calm and perfectly civil. This thread however proved an exception.

My posts began off as being perfectly civil counterpoints to gurramok's posts to which he gave me nonsensical random rebuttals and snide comments. Then it progressed to him making points so incoherent and poorly phrased that it was incomprehensible. We asked him to clarify and he claimed to have "Quite excellent English" and had been so good that he had considered doing a degree in English. I asked him how he could he claim to have "Quite excellent English" whilst producing sentences like "He rose from the dead. His followers founded Christianity in his name as Jesus had in his heart. ".
    That brings me to the second reason for my apparent lack of civility. He was in no better terms; absolutely clueless. He lacked even the basics of what he was talking about making his posts infuriating to read and even more incensing when he replies back still adamant that he's right despite being proven wrong. What was even worse however was the condescending attitude he had shown throughout the thread (And padding every single post with at least five :rolleyes: smileys but I digress). Despite his easily defeated posts and incredible lack of knowledge he continually made himself out to be an enlightened hero of sorts bringing enlightenment to what he perceived as being fervent Catholics. That brings me to my third point, he had this strange belief that all that opposed him were Catholics. He accused almost all of those on the thread barring himself as being fervent Catholic supporters with an agenda to defend Catholicism at any cost. I told him time and time again that I wasn't a Catholic and never had been one but he continued making condescending "Yeah Right and i'm the Pope" rebuttals. He even called me a liar which incensed me more than it would normally have done as his posts were getting continuously more ridiculous. Another thing which he did throughout the thread was make things up about me and other posters on the fly. Here's an example.
    Are you trying to be a Proefssor of English now?(which you will fail) Thought you were studying medicine?

Towards the end he had called me a lying 17 year old fervent Catholic who was attending secondary school who was studying medicine but also wanted to be a professor of English (Who according to him would fail).

To summarise, he provoked me with his trolling (At least I hope it was trolling) and anyone who would have read the thread in its entirety would sympathise entirely with what happened nearer the end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi partyatmygaff, I'll look into this. I haven't read the thread yet and you'll need to leave it with me for a bit because it's quiet long but before I do - and going simply on your summation above:

I can see quite well how my final few posts in the thread could be viewed as abusive from an outside point of view. Those that had been following the thread from the beginning however would have more than likely sympathised with what I said.
    People may sympathise with what you said, but that doesn't mean you can say them - abuse is abuse and if someone is really getting on your nerves and obviously trolling you have to report it and trust that the Mods will take care of it, that's what they're for. Replying to a troll abusively is still a breach of the Charter no matter how much you may feel justified in doing so.

Like I said though that's just an initial response to what you've said, I'll read through it all and get back to you.

Advertisement