Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Rathgar

Options
  • 07-11-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows the exact location of the new Superquinn opening in Rathgar? I just got a job there, and I live in Dun Laoghaire, so trying to navigate the best, easiest and quickest way for me to get there! I will be learning how to drive after Christmas so hopefully buses won't be a long term thing.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions? Or even know where the store is exactly? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Heya, it looks like there'll be an entrance on Orwell Road beside Xtra Vision, and also around the corner at the cross roads as well, beside Bijou.

Just as a matter of interest do you know when the store is opening?? I was under the impression that they'd postponed opening because of the recession, work there stopped a good while ago, would be nice to hear they've decided to open it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Is the Superquinn there not up and running for the past few years? It is near the Luas stop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Is the Superquinn there not up and running for the past few years? It is near the Luas stop

Are you getting maybe getting Rathmines and Rathgar mixed up? Rathgar was supposed to open a couple of years ago but was boarded up for a long time.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

jdivision wrote: »
    Are you getting maybe getting Rathmines and Rathgar mixed up? Rathgar was supposed to open a couple of years ago but was boarded up for a long time.

Definitely Rathgar. It's due to open in early December. I start training next week in their Lucan store and then will be in the Rathgar store from the week after!

Coming from Dun Laoghaire, I think i'll have to be getting a bus to town and then another bus, or the 75? It goes to Rathfarnham.. Does anyone know if it's near Rathfarnham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Definitely Rathgar. It's due to open in early December. I start training next week in their Lucan store and then will be in the Rathgar store from the week after!

Coming from Dun Laoghaire, I think i'll have to be getting a bus to town and then another bus, or the 75? It goes to Rathfarnham.. Does anyone know if it's near Rathfarnham?

The 75 isn't much use I'm afraid, the nearest stop you could get off is rathfarnham village and that's at least a 40 minute walk to rathgar village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

You could get a 46a as far as the top of Leeson Street & pick up a 15,15a,15b or a 74,74a at Earlsfort Terrace, all of which would leave you in Rathgar.

Or you could get whatever bus leaves you into city centre or a DART & get any of the above (15's go from Eden Quay & stop on Pearse St) & the 74's go from Grand Canal Dock, but also stop on Pearse St.

I'm not familiar with where the DARTs from Dun Laoghaire stop in town, but the above buses go up Kildare Street if that was nearer.

It might be a case of doing a couple of test runs, but if if the 46a is an option for you I'd say that would probably be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Gi joe! wrote: »
    The 75 isn't much use I'm afraid, the nearest stop you could get off is rathfarnham village and that's at least a 40 minute walk to rathgar village.

Google says 24 minutes; I'd walk it in 15 easily.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rathfarnham+Rd&daddr=53.3095986,-6.2836557+to:Terenure+Rd+E&geocode=FWpCLQMdVhmg_w%3BFZ5wLQMdeR6g_ym9Hu6x9QtnSDHBVKP7pscAEw%3BFcR5LQMdsEGg_w&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&dirflg=w&sll=53.303288,-6.269588&sspn=0.024209,0.054846&ie=UTF8&z=14

• Registered Users Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Working on this store for the past 7 weeks........told it's to be open on 9th dec...that is to the public anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fairplay on the job, my mate got a job there she was delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

latenia wrote: »

Rathfarnham Village to Rathgar Village is a good 25 minute walk - certainly not 15 minutes.

I would suggest one of the following:

75 Dun Laoghaire-Rathfarnham and then either 16, 16a, 17 to Terenure and walk or else take the 74a to Rathgar from Rathfarnham. 75 takes about 45 minutes from DL to Rathfarnham.

DART to Blackrock, 17 to Terenure and 10 minute walk to Rathgar (17 will take about 45 minutes to Terenure).

DART to Pearse and any of 14, 15, 15a, 15b, 74, 74a from Nassau Street to Rathgar - this will have the highest frequency. Time from Nassau Street to Rathgar is about 25/30 minutes depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

KC61 wrote: »
    Rathfarnham Village to Rathgar Village is a good 25 minute walk - certainly not 15 minutes.

I would suggest one of the following:

75 Dun Laoghaire-Rathfarnham and then either 16, 16a, 17 to Terenure and walk or else take the 74a to Rathgar from Rathfarnham. 75 takes about 45 minutes from DL to Rathfarnham.

DART to Blackrock, 17 to Terenure and 10 minute walk to Rathgar (17 will take about 45 minutes to Terenure).

DART to Pearse and any of 14, 15, 15a, 15b, 74, 74a from Nassau Street to Rathgar - this will have the highest frequency. Time from Nassau Street to Rathgar is about 25/30 minutes depending on traffic.

The 17 and 74A are incredibly unreliably, wouldn't chance it with them.
    Your best bet is the 3rd option above I'd say, dart then any 15 or 14.

Congrats on getting the job! Unlucky in living an awkward distance away:(

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I'd go with the 46a myself and get off at either Kildare St or D'Olier St. You could get any of the 15's, 14 or 14a, 65 or 65b or the 74, 74a from around that area. Also as suggested the 16, 16a or 49a to Terenure is an option as it's a really short distance to Rathgar. Congrats on the job!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Gi joe! wrote: »
    The 17 and 74A are incredibly unreliably, wouldn't chance it with them.
    Your best bet is the 3rd option above I'd say, dart then any 15 or 14.

Congrats on getting the job! Unlucky in living an awkward distance away:(

The 17 is reliable - it does leave the terminus when it is supposed to. I know because I use it!!!

This myth gets regurgitated so many times.

I also use the 74a occasionally and it has never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Congrats on the job! Applied myself but never heard back!
    I live in Rathgar and have to agree that the 46a/dart -> 15's/14/74/65b from town would be the best. Dun Laoghaire has to be one of the most awkward places to get to from Rathgar so I dont envy your commute!
    Looking forward to it opening now, there is a terrible lack of a supermarket around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sickle wrote: »
    there is a terrible lack of a supermarket around here.
    Well hopefully the addition of one won't lead to a terrible lack of independent butchers, off licences, delis and bakeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Cheers for all the help guys.

Yeah it's pretty awkward to get to. I originally applied for Blackrock you see but they had no available positions so they offered me Rathgar. Once I get driving it won't be such a pain in the ass though so!

I reckon my best bet is probably what people are suggesting - 46a and then 14/15 etc to Rathgar. I'd prefer to get the 46a as opposed to the dart because then I can get a student bus ticket for the buses and plus the 46a bus stop is right outside my house! It is a hassle but a job is a job and i'm thankful for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bad mongo

Cheers for all the help guys.

Yeah it's pretty awkward to get to. I originally applied for Blackrock you see but they had no available positions so they offered me Rathgar. Once I get driving it won't be such a pain in the ass though so!

I reckon my best bet is probably what people are suggesting - 46a and then 14/15 etc to Rathgar. I'd prefer to get the 46a as opposed to the dart because then I can get a student bus ticket for the buses and plus the 46a bus stop is right outside my house! It is a hassle but a job is a job and i'm thankful for it :D

You would cycle that in about 30 mins no problem, along the coast road (for a relatively flat run)as far as US Embassy in Ballsbridge then up Clyde Road, Appian Way then through Ranelagh and Rathmines. I wouldn't be relying on a two bus journey to get me anywhere on time for work, you would have to allow over an hour imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well hopefully the addition of one won't lead to a terrible lack of independent butchers, off licences, delis and bakeries.

agree with the butchers deffo. that smaller one will probably find it tough.

as for off licences, I think the Vintry is different enough not to be as affected as o'briens might be, and i wouldn't really miss the comans one.

and delis/bakeries, .......well I think the bijou deli has been no great shakes for ages now. When they revamped a couple years ago it was a real chance to up their game and do homemade bread or something different, but all they did was give it a cosmetic makeover and up the prices for a while to pay for the paint. Cuisine de france = cheap muck, ....and they've scrimped with some of their sandwich fillings now too. Still, it's convenient, and i wouldn't like to see it go.
    Butlers pantry do some nice stuff but very overpriced. wholesome readymeals for lazy/busy rich mom's who don't fancy cooking.

it could be Spar who'll feel the pinch more than any of them I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

bad mongo wrote: »
    You would cycle that in about 30 mins no problem, along the coast road (for a relatively flat run)as far as US Embassy in Ballsbridge then up Clyde Road, Appian Way then through Ranelagh and Rathmines. I wouldn't be relying on a two bus journey to get me anywhere on time for work, you would have to allow over an hour imo.

That sounds like it's going too far - before RDS wouldn't you just head up towards Donnybrook Garage, Eglinton Road, Milltown, Highfield Road.

The Milltown Luas is a 25 minute walk but I don't think that's much use to you

Advertisement