Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dog laws - tail docking?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

That's well and good but my reply was specifically refering to the poster who said tails were for "balance when running and turning". While that is true I was pointing out that a docked dog can do this just as well as a tailed dog just like a three legged dog can still out run a four legged one ie. dogs can compensate for a missing limb or appendage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hang on...

12 weeks???

No anaesthetic???

That Vet should be docked himself. :mad: You worked with a prize lemon there.

I know, it was absolutely horrible, I left after that and never went back to work for him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pokertalk wrote: »
    he is 2 1/2 .im not going to get it done as he is in no discomfort now with it so there is no point. but in the future it might have to go:eek:
    It might be worth working now on calming techniques - you can train the dog to do certain things when they get excited - such as sit and wait for you to pet them or to get into their bed. The aim would be to get the dog to sit still, so he can still wag to his heart's content but without banging it off everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

My dogs have no problems defecating and having a docked tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

john t wrote: »
    It is a form of mutilation and is wrong.

is this a time to bring up the legality of circumcision?

• Advertisement

sligopark wrote: »

Oh, dear...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

sligopark wrote: »

This is the animal and pet issues forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ADAlliance

If done within the first few days, on the 3rd or 4th day preferably, there is little pain as nerve endings are still in development.

It would be an exceptionally bad dock to have any risk of infection. The mother will keep any wound clean.

From where do you get this "scientific" information...?!

please see http://anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_14.htm and http://anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/Page_4.htm

It is much more likely from scientific research that they receive MORE pain since the nerve pathways have NOT developed. This may sound contradictory but it is necessary to comprehend current thinking on neural development in order to understand how pain pathways mature.

Normally stitches are inserted when done by a Vet and these can become infected if the dam licks the area (as can also happen with banding).

ADAlliance wrote: »
    From where do you get this "scientific" information...?!

please see http://anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_14.htm and http://anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/Page_4.htm

It is much more likely from scientific research that they receive MORE pain since the nerve pathways have NOT developed. This may sound contradictory but it is necessary to comprehend current thinking on neural development in order to understand how pain pathways mature.

Normally stitches are inserted when done by a Vet and these can become infected if the dam licks the area (as can also happen with banding).

My information is from actual observation, not parroting a link to a study that I have no input into.

If I had ever noticed any issues, such as atrophied musculature or balance issues in any of the puppies that I have bred, I would stop immediately.

Advertisement