Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well done Gardai

• 07-11-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

Think this is one of the best videos out there demonstrating how professional members of An Garda Siochana are. Hats off to the Dog, Mounted and Public Order Units as well as regular Gardai who obviously had their hands full!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The mounted unit horses are amazing, it goes against every instinct a horse has to be in a noisy crowded area.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Well done lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I say we will be seeing a lot more of this over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I went to this forum, having read Gene Kerrigans article in the Indo. Must say that I agree with the OP. Maybe a small number of Gardai were heavy handed but, all in all, a very professional display, under difficult circumstances.

(With the number of cameras and mobile phones around, I'm sure there would be no shortage of less favorable footage, if it were warranted.)

Unfortunately, I must agree with Finnbar01 that this is likely to be the first of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

First thing I noticed about the video was missiles being thrown at the Mounted unit, strangely that got very little mention on the Garda bashing threads on this website but nothing new there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

The video certainly shows 2 sides to the story,
    As far as i can see the protestors were given every opportunity to back off before force was applied to push the group back.
    it is dissapointing to see such a lack of respect from many of the students, The only people who should feel '' Shame '' is the minority who did not comply.
    Not a good day for the force either though.

There did not appear to be many public order members there in full riot gear?
    seemed a very dangerious situation in particular for the Guards without additional protection,

There may be many more protests like these in the near future so hopefully the manpower and equipment is readily avalible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Gotta love the kicking, biting and spitting in between screams of "Peaceful protest, peaceful protest..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm well used to seeing the mounted units from Croke Park
    Only I used to pet the horses, was like a little kid :o

There are plenty of missiles being fired there. And at the horses too, makes me angry to see that.
    It seems to have been managed very will.

Out of interest, the gardai seem to rest their baton on their shoulder as they walk along. Not carry it by their side
    Is that some procedure? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and it's just comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I say we will be seeing a lot more of this over the coming months.

Doubt it, same was said at the start of the recession. Thank god we live in a civilised society where wrecking the place (which we then pay to clean up) isnt commonplace . Few scrotes looking for a fight with gardai no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Only one set of scum in that video, and they sure as hell weren't the ones in uniform. At the same time, I feel sorry for the few naive students who thought their day would go according to plan, i.e. make their point, garner some media attention and head home. It's amazing how little respect some of those other idiots have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Tripp wrote: »
    Well done lads

3:33....what was so well done about that?

I agree the students were out of line throwing things at the gardai, but when they eventually decide to have a sit in and make the protest peaceful it was wrong of the gardai to start hitting them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Actually, no, it wasn't. This has been covered over on the Legal Discussion forum in great detail. AGS have a power to use force no matter whether people are lying, sitting or standing. Several warnings were issued, people did not comply, done by the book IMO.
    Brendog wrote: »
    when they eventually decide to have a sit in and make the protest peaceful it was wrong of the gardai to start hitting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

when they eventually decide to have a sit in and make the protest peaceful it was wrong of the gardai to start hitting them.
    Anyone with any intention of a peaceful protest that day knew after fifteen minutes it wasn't going to happen. Anyone who was still there at that point was IMO endorsing the violence.

I did feel bad for the poor woman and her little girl though sending them back through the violence rather than the barricade whether she could get her car out or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Sadly i believe there is alot more off this on the way.
    When grown men cant feed their children and default on their mortgages expect more incidents like this to happen.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I did feel bad for the poor woman and her little girl though sending them back through the violence rather than the barricade whether she could get her car out or not.

Yeah I didn't like that, at all. Should've just let her on her way, but told her not to try and drive through the crowds (obviously).

Out from that, seemed grand to me.

I do have to question the use of the horses though. I know it's amazing to get horses well trained enough that they stayed there, but I can't help but feel, ultimately, they don't really offer a whole lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

3:33....what was so well done about that?

I agree the students were out of line throwing things at the gardai, but when they eventually decide to have a sit in and make the protest peaceful it was wrong of the gardai to start hitting them.

Sitting down and saying peaceful protest doesn't absolve you of sin. These were the same people kicking and charging at the uniformed Gardaí (before the PO unit arrived). Most of the video posted now have been edited heavily. Even the "unconscious" girl shown in some videos can be seen previously charging head first into the Garda line.

Look at it this way. A man breaks into your home and comes into your living room and starts wrecking the place and hitting you. When the Gardaí arrive he sits down quietly and doesn't make a sound. Should he be allowed stay where he is? Now multiply that by 1000 people.
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    Anyone with any intention of a peaceful protest that day knew after fifteen minutes it wasn't going to happen. Anyone who was still there at that point was IMO endorsing the violence.

Exactly. They were shielding the people who were tgrowingg the missiles.

As for the woman. I don't know where she expected to drive to. In any case could you really take the chance that she wasn't some crazed Eirigí loon who would try and run you over when she got to her car. You never know.
    eroo wrote: »
    Think this is one of the best videos out there demonstrating how professional members of An Garda Siochana are. Hats off to the Dog, Mounted and Public Order Units as well as regular Gardai who obviously had their hands full!

All the videos put together show an excellent response that we can be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

......I do have to question the use of the horses though. I know it's amazing to get horses well trained enough that they stayed there, but I can't help but feel, ultimately, they don't really offer a whole lot?

Jaysus, I don't know, If I saw 5 or 6 of them coming at me I think I'd think twice about causing aggro :)
    First thing I noticed about the video was missiles being thrown at the Mounted unit, strangely that got very little mention on the Garda bashing threads on this website but nothing new there
    +1
    The mounted unit horses are amazing, it goes against every instinct a horse has to be in a noisy crowded area
    +1
    Yeah, it always amazes me that they don't freak out at the missles, crowds and noise.... Of course if they did then it would be "And then they set their taxpayer's horses on innocent peaceful protesters"

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against peaceful marches (excpet for the cost to the taxpayers they are supposed to be representing to police the things but it's unavoidable) but to cause aggro and then post edited videos of supposed fascist brutality? Get a haircut! :D

Out of interest, the gardai seem to rest their baton on their shoulder as they walk along. Not carry it by their side
    Is that some procedure? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and it's just comfortable

It's carried there so you are ready to strike rather than having to first bring it to that position and then striking.

I do have to question the use of the horses though. I know it's amazing to get horses well trained enough that they stayed there, but I can't help but feel, ultimately, they don't really offer a whole lot?

Did you see many people standing in their way when moving?

foreign wrote: »
    Did you see many people standing in their way when moving?

I suppose I didn't really see them moving that much, which is the problem?

Just as easy to skid about the road in a jeep? No one will stand in the way of that coming at you.

I dunno. I suppose I partly feel sorry for the horses. Can't defend themselves and they're getting pelted with crap.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

this is probably the best footage so far shot from a window or rooftop with a decent camera look at the amount of stuff thrown at gardai its ridiculous and those camera phones footage from ground level dont get enough of the bigger picture to show what was really happening people seem to be focusing on single actions by Gardai and protesters rather than the whole picture and why the tactics used were used. Look at the amount of pressure the uniformed gardai are under (3.50, 6.03)until the POU come in and help and listen to the cheers for the violence directed at the gardai listen to the warnings (0.10 on)being given to both sit down protesters and those engaged in blocking the street and throwing missiles and assaulting Gardai to move on at the start and they are warned of the consequences. And take for example the point being made about the unconscious girl it is clearly seen that a garda helps her then all of a sudden she jumps up and gets right back into the action (10.05)......

what did they think the POU were there for? and now ask yourself is this a peaceful protest? and for the response by the gardai how long would you let yourself be assaulted before you responded?

the protest went brilliantly is was good natured and well organised and attended and a credit to the organisers and students involved. What happened afterwards was not part of the protest and anyone who went there knew what they were doing, this wasn't part of the protest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7iux1viCm4&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I have absolutely no sympathy for the violent and bitchy/stubborn protester students. I am one myself, and am just as p88ed as they are.

Another fine example of professionalism. Maybe one day the whole story will be told and they'll be praised for what they do (PO unit in particular).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I just cant see the gardai re-acting this way, when the pensioners eventually get around to protesting. Regardless of how many scumbags join in.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I just cant see the gardai re-acting this way, when the pensioners eventually get around to protesting. Regardless of how many scumbags join in.

OAPs generally are fond the Gardaì though, aren't they? and would have more sense than to attack them?

That said, if the OAPs want to throw stuff, and kick and punch the Gardaì, id be more than happy to see the public order unit out again putting manners on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

OAPs generally are fond the Gardaì though, aren't they? and would have more sense than to attack them?

That said, if the OAPs want to throw stuff, and kick and punch the Gardaì, id be more than happy to see the public order unit out again putting manners on them.

As im sure you are well aware there were circa 20,000 students and the video shows about at an etreme guess 500 acting the idiot. Im guessing around 200 are from or conneceted to the extreme left. These same people could show up at the next protest.

If they do show up and act the same way i feel that the gardai will handle it very differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Agree with everyone there!
    Someone was talking about the horses.....

^ Still not entirely sure how the horses benefitted that? The lads on the bikes seemed to have had it covered?

(note; not against horses or mounted Gardaì, just not sure where they excel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

^ Still not entirely sure how the horses benefitted that? The lads on the bikes seemed to have had it covered?

(note; not against horses or mounted Gardaì, just not sure where they excel).

They had mounted units up these parts a few years back for the odd weekend.

People who seemed to think of causing were put off by the horses after seeing one trouble maker pinned up against a wall by a horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just as easy to skid about the road in a jeep? No one will stand in the way of that coming at you.
    Yes, but no matter how slow you're going, you can't force a jeep through a crowd of people.

However, if a protestor gets bumped out of the way by a slowly advancing horse, nobody is going to be squealing about Garda brutality.

seamus wrote: »
    if a protestor gets bumped out of the way by a slowly advancing horse, nobody is going to be squealing about Garda brutality.

That's the thing that was on my mind mostly. I assumed that was the obvious reason, but still thought to ask anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Dont agree with the garda pulling by the hair at 4.24:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Just because everyone is shouting "peaceful protest" that does not make it peaceful...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Great bit of work. The self restraint shown was top class. Nothing wrong with a few heads getting cracked every now and then. I also recognize some of the "students", definitely some ex lags in the mix. There was one thing that baffled me though, the young lad near the end in the traffic corp jacket must have been the supers son in on work experience or something and just stuck on a jacket, the lad isn't an asses roar near 5ft tall:D

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

One corcern i would have from watching the video is that some members seem to be very much detached (away from other officers) at the protest.
    Not ideal really as there was potential for things to get very nasty.

Hopefully lessons can be learnt from this, Uniformed members really need to pull out of there when missiles start being thrown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Agree with everyone there!
    Someone was talking about the horses.....

Garda on bike at 1:00 make up your mind - is it S8 of the Criminal Justice Act or Public Order Act. Oh dear, Templemore 101 basics

Same Garda calling for van has to look up for street address plate. Templemore 102 - know your area

Should AGS be endorsing certain brands? Looks like a Lucozade Sport bottle attached to his bike at 3.35

Rawhead wrote: »

Nothing wrong with a few heads getting cracked every now and then.

And that kind of comment just plays into the hands of those who think AGS were heavy handed
    CB19Kevo wrote: »

One corcern i would have from watching the video is that some members seem to be very much detached (away from other officers) at the protest.
    Not ideal really as there was potential for things to get very nasty.

Lots of units looked detached. Uniformed Gardai surrounded by protestors. Mounted unit in an island of protestors.

Bad footage on RTE News tonight for AGS. Memories of Robocop flooding back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's the criminal justice (public order) act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

dfbemt wrote: »
    Garda on bike at 1:00 make up your mind - is it S8 of the Criminal Justice Act or Public Order Act. Oh dear, Templemore 101 basics

Same Garda calling for van has to look up for street address plate. Templemore 102 - know your area

Should AGS be endorsing certain brands? Looks like a Lucozade Sport bottle attached to his bike at 3.35

S8 Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, he said it right.

Looking at address plate, probably called into a district he didn't know for a large public order incident, As such didn't know the area and had to look at the plate.

If you believe that Gardai shouldn't be endorsing certain brands you can lobby the Garda management to make water bottles personal issue, otherwise it'll be whatever water bottle the Garda can get their hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Keeps a garda going 33% longer especially in the last 15 minutes of a shift :D

If thats endorsing a product they should de-badge all cars if he cant be seen with a waterbottle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

And that kind of comment just plays into the hands of those who think AGS were heavy handed

Lots of units looked detached. Uniformed Gardai surrounded by protestors. Mounted unit in an island of protestors.

Bad footage on RTE News tonight for AGS. Memories of Robocop flooding back.

Endorsing a Brand . . . .LMFAO . . . . .:rolleyes: . . . . .some post!!!!

. . . .the students got the jump on the Police in London today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Is this post a serious reply or...?

If not it is the most ridiculous post I have ever read in this forum.

So you know every street, avenue, close, terrace, estate name in your area? And you don't get thirsty??:eek:

Firefighters really are the biz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

God I'm glad I wasn't in town that day, I felt sorry for the woman and her daughter and God knows how many more got caught up in it that day. Huge admiration for the force. Amazing to see the horses, trained so well. What scumbags some of those students were, they've done themselves no favours!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is what would have ended up occurring if the Gardai had not acted when they did and in the way they did.

Clashes at student fee protest

I bet those protesters will try and claim they were being peaceful too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

It is called the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act. Nice FAIL there on your attemp to make the Garda look bad. You look a right *SNIP* now :p

Maybe you should go educate yourself on the 101 basics

Sorry to go off topic here a little (though still somewhat related);

Has anyone heard anything about today's protest? Checking around a few forums but haven't heard a word mentioned. :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Sorry to go off topic here a little (though still somewhat related);

Has anyone heard anything about today's protest? Checking around a few forums but haven't heard a word mentioned. :confused::(

Maybe it clashed with Home and Away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

dfbemt, you come across as a bit of a know it all, when in fact it has been shown to the contrary that you are not.

You haven't been to Templemore so you don't know what's done when,

Maybe the bike member was brought in from another district or just transferred in a couple of weeks ago, you seem so eager to point out the apparent failings as you see them, just wondering why that is? Genuinely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Who was filming the original clip and he subsequent clip of the chase?

Whoever it was seems to have had an access all areas pass, even filming from behind the lines AGS had formed.

Is it one of the guards filiming it possibly?

I think a fair bit of footage was filmed from behind AGS.

I reckon they didn't really care if photographers/videographers were running around the place, so long as they didn't actually get in the way of AGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Is it one of the guards filiming it possibly?

Garda footage is retained for evidence and is not released to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Watching the OP's video makes me want to drop out of college and join the Gardai... I'm sick of listening to eejits go on about the march like they were arrested and anally probed for 13 years.

Fair play to Gardai and they handled it well i thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement