Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you tell me what MiFi is please?

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

My idea of Mifi is that it's a little modem you put in your pocket and it sends out a wifi signal that you can use on your iPad, iPhone, iPod or laptop.

But how is it powered? How can I use it with my iPhone?
    What providers do it? 3, vodafone, o2?

Where can I get it?

Thx.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

google....?

it's basically mobile broadband, from a battery powered unit, that broadcasts a wireless signal for up to 5 devices. three are doing them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

What adam said.
    Just so you know, MiFi is a brand and not a technology, so these are available from other providers too (there's one out from Huawei called hotshot). It's a mobile hotspot, that broadcasts a wireless signal allowing you to connect (as said) 5 devices. I don't think it can handle more than that due to power limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Or you could just get an Android 2.2 phone which can act as a mobile hotspot doing the same thing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The aim of these devices is really just to let you connect via WiFi rather than USB as you would with a regular 3G modem. Aimed mostly at tablet or smartphones where the OS or hardware don't support USB host interface. As such the WiFi radios in them are severely underpowered and only have a range of a few meters. You should be able to use them with anything that supports WiFi.

Advertisement