Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greystones photo book. Submit your ideas here.

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

If 100 local people submitted a digital image (photograph) which was taken by them and a photobook of approximately 50 pages was made. Then the book was presented to the Greystones Library where it could be viewed for generations to come. All photos to be taken in the county of Wicklow and may be of whatever subject which is decent and within the law. A subscription of 2 or 3 euro each to cover expenses.
    I would love to see anyone with a camera submit a photo. First 100 photos would go into book. 1 photo per person.
    Thoughts ?
    5156404516_e6c63939e2_z.jpg
    PHOTOBOOK%20%20c by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

That's a great idea! I'm interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I'd be interested too. Who would deal with the submissions, printing, treasury? Would that be yourself, pixbyjohn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

High resolution photos could be emailed to me, I would organise and order photobook. But all I would ask is that all photos be submitted by 1st March 2011. If anyone has suggestions lets have them here.
    We would need a hundred people to commit first before any photos are sent.

I'm in.
    Suggestions to follow later this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

great idea! we are so lucky to live here that's its nice to leave a momento for future generations. count me in. my laptop is jam packed with fabulous photos of greystones/delgany. I will pass on the word too, i'll put it on my blog, can i put your details on my blog for people to submit photos to you or shall i just put a link to this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Would love to be involved in this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

there's a photoblogger based in Bray mcawilliams I think

Its an interesting project

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

If it interests anyone there's a photoblog I've been following on the same kind of theme: (It may have been posted here before somewhere)

http://wicklowdailyphoto.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Great Idea. Count me in,

But you want to make sure you get people to commit to pay the €2-3. It could be a nightmare to arrange otherwise.

You might ask one of the local shops/restaurants to take the payments.

Might it also be worthwhile to get the photos all taken on a particular day or weekend. If successful, this could be repeated each year at the same time.
    Electronic version online with hardcopy in the library.

• Advertisement

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Great Idea. Count me in,

But you want to make sure you get people to commit to pay the €2-3. It could be a nightmare to arrange otherwise.

You might ask one of the local shops/restaurants to take the payments.

Might it also be worthwhile to get the photos all taken on a particular day or weekend. If successful, this could be repeated each year at the same time.
    Electronic version online with hardcopy in the library.

Nice ideas. Yes maybe one of the shops in the town could facilitate holding the money.
    Your idea of 1 day or 1 weekend where photos could be taken is good but I don't want to have any restrictions that might stop anyone partaking.
    I want the casual and the more experienced photographers alike to submit photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its a great idea.

I would certainly commit to buying a copy although I cant contribute pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Organised something similar for a Charity event last year in Dublin.
    Got as far as taking some photos before we had to close down due to copyright issues. Corporate lawyers advised us not to print until release forms had been signed by everyone in the photos and those who took them to say they would not sue if there image was used. Became a logistical nightmare and a sad sign that guerilla photography is on the ropes.

Organised something similar for a Charity event last year in Dublin.
    Got as far as taking some photos before we had to close down due to copyright issues. Corporate lawyers advised us not to print until release forms had been signed by everyone in the photos and those who took them to say they would not sue if there image was used. Became a logistical nightmare and a sad sign that guerilla photography is on the ropes.

So your intention was to sell the photos and make money from them. So yes I see how there could have been a problem with that.
    My project is not making any money. Also people are submitting and giving permission for photos that they have taken themselves for inclusion in the photobook.
    Thanks for your input but in this case it is irrelevant.

No selling mentioned in my post. Your also involved in a commercial transaction. Anyway good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

i'm sure the banks would mind the money for you. actually, doesn't seanie fitz live nearby. has some free time too. I hear he's good with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

This is something being done by someone in the community for the community - I dont thing there will be anything in it for "Corporate Lawyers" to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No selling mentioned in my post. Your also involved in a commercial transaction. Anyway good luck.
    how is it commercial?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

'A subscription of 2 or 3 euro each to cover expenses'

Anyway, back to PBJ's original topic.

'A subscription of 2 or 3 euro each to cover expenses'

Anyway, back to PBJ's original topic.

Well the photos need to be printed. This seems to be more akin to a group of friends clubbing together to make a book rather than a commercial venture. The photographers still own the rights to the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I would be interested in participating in this John. I think it's a great way to document the peoples view of Greystones & the surrounding county.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Would it/could it include the pictures from the Old Greystones thread?

I've really enjoyed looking at those as well.

An update on this: So far I have a response from 16 people on this idea who wish to submit a photo. For it to be worthwhile it would need more than 16.
    I will see how it goes over the next month or so then decide what I should do. Spread the word as it is not confined to just members of this forum.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    If 100 local people submitted a digital image (photograph) which was taken by them and a photobook of approximately 50 pages was made. Then the book was presented to the Greystones Library where it could be viewed for generations to come. All photos to be taken in the county of Wicklow and may be of whatever subject which is decent and within the law. A subscription of 2 or 3 euro each to cover expenses.
    I would love to see anyone with a camera submit a photo. First 100 photos would go into book. 1 photo per person.
    Thoughts ?
    5156404516_e6c63939e2_z.jpg
    PHOTOBOOK%20%20c by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I'd like to submit one too, sounds like a nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I'm not much of a photographer but I know a couple of people that are will spread the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

There are a couple of local email lists you could publicize this on. Cllr. Kelleher sends out a "Greystones Calendar" email on a regular basis to local people and groups, and it includes local events, club activities, civic happenings, etc. She would be happy to include this. Also, the Greystones Guide sends out a regular email that is similar. I believe the Chamber of Commerce might do something similar for members.

Even broader coverage could be had from the local papers, which would be happy to include a blurb on this in their Greystones diaries.

Thanks for replies and suggestions. Margaret of the Guide has it on her site and mailing list and I have received 6 replies through that. My idea is that anyone with a camera should submit a photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

hi, i think it's a great idea and would love to contribute. Let me know the details when you get them, in the meantime I'll get snapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I'd be interested in submitting some pics too. It's a really good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Me too.

Any other parameters than what was said above? Can the photo be 5 or 8 years old? Or only from 2010? Landscapes only? People OK?

Advertisement