Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you play rugby...?

• 08-11-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hey everyone. I am a photography student in my last year in college. I am going a project on rugby.. the clubs who play mornings and dont get paid. can anyone who plays/has played, or are even thinking of doing rugby!! Please leave your comments

If you have a chance can you please help me out answering a few questions..

1. Why do you play? for free...
    2. What got you into it?
    3. What do ur family think of u playing?
    4. What do you love lost about it?
    5. Have you ever been seriously hurt..?
    6. or even if you have a family member who plays rugby please what are your thoughts on it!

or any other info you think would be useful.
    Can u please include your first name, age the team you play for and how many years you have played.!!!

Thanks and very much appreciated
    emilyrose89
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

I'll try to get the ball rolling for you on this:

1. I've played since school (now nearly 30), and absolutley love everything about it- the physicality, the competition, the camaraderie, the piss-ups, the craic. I have played a lot of sports but nothing, for me, comes close to providing the all round package that rugby does (no matter what level you play at).

2. My parents are big rugby fans and I wanted to play since I was a lad. I wanted to be Michael Bradley when I was growing up, and watching matches as a kid inspired me to play.

3. As above, my family are rugby fans- their logic allowed me play rugby as a kid, whereas they wouldn't let me hurl. Got a bad injury five years ago, and they weren't delighted when I said I was going back, but they understand what I get out of the game and wouldn't stand in my way.

4. Difficult to say one thing that I love the most, but cheesy as it sounds, I would say it is the bond that you build with your team mates, especially if you are lucky enough to be part of a team that has success. You train hard together, you win matches together, you celebrate together. It doesn't matter what your mates do from Monday-Friday- when you're on the pitch together, there isn't much you wouldn't do for your team mates.

5. My most serious injury was a c6 fracture of my neck in 2005. I took a couple of years out after that and started coaching. Came back to playing last year. Apart from that, have had the usual broken teeth, nose, ankles etc.

I'm based in the UK now and play my rugby with Bracknell RFC.

Hope that gets you started- good luck with your project,

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

1. Because I love it. It's a great stress reliever, it keeps me fit, and it's just so much more fun than any other team sport.
    2. My dad and uncle played, I was brought down to the club at 8 years old to play mini rugby, and then my secondary school had a team. I've been playing now for the guts of 13 years.
    3. As above, my dad played so they don't think much of it, my doctor doesn't like it though.
    4. Hitting people. :D
    5. I've been pretty lucky, cracked ribs and fingers and a funny looking nose are the only real injuries I've had. I do get stingers in my right arm sometimes.

Ronan, Clontarf J5, 26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

2. What got you into it?
    6. or even if you have a family member who plays rugby please what are your thoughts on it!

or any other info you think would be useful.
    Can u please include your first name, age the team you play for and how many years you have played.!!!

1. The contact element really I guess, that I was a pretty decent player when I was young. Wouldn't be a big team environment person or that type of stuff. Just enjoy playing the sport and it gives me an outlet to train and keep fit. Playing ten years now.

2. Failed GAA player!!:) Ah no, just a game that really appealed to me but was never was available to me when I was growing up and when I went to a school later on that played it so when the chance arose I jumped at it!

3. Family wouldn't be keen at all. Father (deeply catholic) would see it as a garrison sport. I've also picked up a few injuries and they wouldn't be keen on it. Brothers are skeptical but one is behind me a lot with it!

4. Playing competitive sport with other competitive people. Fitness is a large part of it. Winning is the key and probably why I love it. Winning after a tough rugby match has brought me more satisfaction then another sport.

5.Seriously hurt not as such. Have developed arthritis in my hip (only 24), broken ribs, countless stitches, currently suffering from a nasty enough shoulder injury but nothing life threatening thank God and touch wood!!

6. No family members have played it so I can't really help here!

Best of luck with it all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 emilyrose89

justdoit wrote: »
    I'll try to get the ball rolling for you on this:

1. I've played since school (now nearly 30), and absolutley love everything about it- the physicality, the competition, the camaraderie, the piss-ups, the craic. I have played a lot of sports but nothing, for me, comes close to providing the all round package that rugby does (no matter what level you play at).

2. My parents are big rugby fans and I wanted to play since I was a lad. I wanted to be Michael Bradley when I was growing up, and watching matches as a kid inspired me to play.

3. As above, my family are rugby fans- their logic allowed me play rugby as a kid, whereas they wouldn't let me hurl. Got a bad injury five years ago, and they weren't delighted when I said I was going back, but they understand what I get out of the game and wouldn't stand in my way.

4. Difficult to say one thing that I love the most, but cheesy as it sounds, I would say it is the bond that you build with your team mates, especially if you are lucky enough to be part of a team that has success. You train hard together, you win matches together, you celebrate together. It doesn't matter what your mates do from Monday-Friday- when you're on the pitch together, there isn't much you wouldn't do for your team mates.

5. My most serious injury was a c6 fracture of my neck in 2005. I took a couple of years out after that and started coaching. Came back to playing last year. Apart from that, have had the usual broken teeth, nose, ankles etc.

I'm based in the UK now and play my rugby with Bracknell RFC.

Hope that gets you started- good luck with your project,

Mark

Mark thank you so much.. it does indeed really helped me to get an in site into why people play... many thanks emilyrose89

hardCopy wrote: »
    1. Because I love it. It's a great stress reliever, it keeps me fit, and it's just so much more fun than any other team sport.
    2. My dad and uncle played, I was brought down to the club at 8 years old to play mini rugby, and then my secondary school had a team. I've been playing now for the guts of 13 years.
    3. As above, my dad played so they don't think much of it, my doctor doesn't like it though.
    4. Hitting people. :D
    5. I've been pretty lucky, cracked ribs and fingers and a funny looking nose are the only real injuries I've had. I do get stingers in my right arm sometimes.

thank you so much for your reply.. i esp liked that hitting people reason ha ha..!! thanks again emilyrose89

• Advertisement

Sunset V wrote: »
    1. The contact element really I guess, that I was a pretty decent player when I was young. Wouldn't be a big team environment person or that type of stuff. Just enjoy playing the sport and it gives me an outlet to train and keep fit. Playing ten years now.

2. Failed GAA player!!:) Ah no, just a game that really appealed to me but was never was available to me when I was growing up and when I went to a school later on that played it so when the chance arose I jumped at it!

3. Family wouldn't be keen at all. Father (deeply catholic) would see it as a garrison sport. I've also picked up a few injuries and they wouldn't be keen on it. Brothers are skeptical but one is behind me a lot with it!

4. Playing competitive sport with other competitive people. Fitness is a large part of it. Winning is the key and probably why I love it. Winning after a tough rugby match has brought me more satisfaction then another sport.

5.Seriously hurt not as such. Have developed arthritis in my hip (only 24), broken ribs, countless stitches, currently suffering from a nasty enough shoulder injury but nothing life threatening thank God and touch wood!!

6. No family members have played it so I can't really help here!

Best of luck with it all!!

thank you for your reply :) emilyrose89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

2. What got you into it?
    emilyrose89

1. I'm 17 :P But even at that, i'd never play just for money. It's something i love, and have become fairly handy at. Im also blessed with being a fast prop(yes that is possible) and just running through people from time to time is the best feeling ever.

2. Friends at school, im a big kid always have been... They asked me too play in 2nd year, so i said why not!.

3. Dad loves it.. Thinks i might play for a big team some day... :o I love the support.. Mams afraid i'll get killed.. Not even joking. :L

4. Im pretty sure thats supposed to be most... Eh i love having the craic with all the lads. The compitition between backs and forwards to out do each other, winning, also love the feeling of pushing myself beyond what i should be able to do:cool:

5. Out for 3 months due to Knee surjery.. Neck went really bad for a month, and my back is compltly banjoed :L

6. I unfourtantly the only one in my entire family including parents families aswell, that plays rugby...:(

Also Hope this helps with your project :D

marko93 wrote: »
    1. I'm 17 :P But even at that, i'd never play just for money. It's something i love, and have become fairly handy at. Im also blessed with being a fast prop(yes that is possible) and just running through people from time to time is the best feeling ever.

2. Friends at school, im a big kid always have been... They asked me too play in 2nd year, so i said why not!.

3. Dad loves it.. Thinks i might play for a big team some day... :o I love the support.. Mams afraid i'll get killed.. Not even joking. :L

4. Im pretty sure thats supposed to be most... Eh i love having the craic with all the lads. The compitition between backs and forwards to out do each other, winning, also love the feeling of pushing myself beyond what i should be able to do:cool:

5. Out for 3 months due to Knee surjery.. Neck went really bad for a month, and my back is compltly banjoed :L

6. I unfourtantly the only one in my entire family including parents families aswell, that plays rugby...:(

Also Hope this helps with your project :D

thanks :) so much. ah she's really proud of ya bet just afraid of her son getting hurt like all mothers and there sons :P ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Didnt see the last bit..
    Name: Mark *do you want a 2nd name?*
    Current Club: Ratoath... Left Coolmine U21's due to arrogant snobs.
    Eh bout 3-4 years o_o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Might seem like an odd question but what does a photography student do with this information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mostly because I enjoy it, it's good exercise and it's a great outlet after a stressful week in the office.

2. What got you into it?
    Lots of my extended family play a lot (mostly at a much higher level than me), and I'm pretty shìte at most other sports.

They like it.

The craic with the lads

No, but I did have a minor scare with my back one game and was taken to hospital by ambulance. I've never broken any bones, so just a good few soft tissue injuries.

Edit - Eoin / 32 / Seapoint Rugby Club / playing on and off since 10.
    stephen_n wrote:
    Might seem like an odd question but what does a photography student do with this information?

That's a pretty good question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

2. What got you into it?

1. Absolutely love the game. Played soccer for years when I was younger (rugby wasn't really played around here) along with pretty much everything else in school, but nothing was more enjoyable, for me, than rugby.

2. The IRFU Tallaght project kicked off when I was in school. There were days when 5 or 6 lads would show up for training, but we could always find lads to pull on a jersey if it meant missing class!

3. Parents don't mind, once I'm not getting hurt. They always take an interest, and would come to watch if I asked them. My dad did let slip one night though, that he didn't like seeing me put my head places he wouldn't put his boot! The girlfriend claims she doesn't like it, because I'm always covered in bruises etc. but secretly she loves it...stereotype of being tough and all that.

4. The team. Especially in my club, which is a very young club, where I've seen the team improve year on year, to where we're now getting good results.

5. Not seriously. 1 concussion, to which my mother said "would you not get one of them hat things." Knees are forever swelling up, its a chronic thing. Various finger/thumb sprains and the odd break.

6. None of my family play, immediate or extended.

Brian, 24, Tallaght Rugby Club. played for about 11 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

1. Why do you play? for free... Because I love it. I have had oppourtunites over the years to make some money out of it, and turned those down. To turn into into anything relating to work would ruin it for me.

2. What got you into it? I was the big fat kid in primary school. I was useless at at every other sport. I was dragged out by a guy 15 years ago, and to this day I still play for that coach, I coach with him, and credit him with turning me into the strong, confident, mannerly and respectful man I am today (although some women may disagree! Typical rugby players getting naked in pubs!)

3. What do ur family think of u playing?They think its great. Been active and involved in team sports brings out the best in people and they know that. Although every monday morning they tell me I should give it up due to been crippled for days after a match etc.

4. What do you love most about it? Standing shoulder to shoulder with your mates who you have been playing with since you started, putting your body on the line, knowing he will put his body on the line so that we can acheive the one goal, and going for pints afterwards. Meeting guys you played with years ago and still been able to sit down and have pints with them for hours and hours recounting the good times.

5. Have you ever been seriously hurt..? Yes, broken back, told to take up something with a little less contact! I took up rugby league! Seemed ok so went back to proper propping. Thankfully I didn't do any damage to the spinal cord, just a small bit of nerve damage. one doc said its like a broken arm, it may never bother you again. This summer I had 3 operations for rugby injuries. wasn't able to run or train between march and sept. Numourous concussions... prob should start worrying about those after reading Fogs article.

My sister has recently started playing with the College team, and absolutely loves it. Although my mother worries that she will end up a crock like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

2. What got you into it?

1. The main reason I play is for the social side of it and to maintain some level of fitness. Other than that it's something to do on Monday and Wednesday nights after work other than watching tv.

2. I didnt actually start playing til I was 16 when I moved from a football playing school to a rugby school. The principal suggested I give it a shot and get to know some people before I started the school year.

3. My family used to go to games when I was in school but since I started playing Junior club rugby they take a passing interest, "how'd the match go? etc"

4. Again probably the social side of it. Or the pat on the back from one of the lads when they know you're physically exhausted but still manage to give 100% in the last few minutes. Just being part of the team.

5. I tore all the ligaments in my shoulder a few years ago. Took quite a deal of time to heal. A black eye and broken nose two days before my Debs when playing u20's against Carlow. Other than that nothing serious, just a few dead legs and sprains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

1. Why do you play?
    i play cause i like the sport, i want to get fit.

2. What got you into it?
    dunno talked myself into doing it, liked rugby all my life got into it more the last 5 years. never played until i was 30, joined a team this year played two matches so far.

Mother worries, rest think its ok

4. What do you love most about it?
    The work thats needed. the craic

No but i havent been playing very long.

Have learnt to cover my head in a ruck though - that took only two kicks into the face.

Mike 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Not good enough to get paid! Keeping fit, and enjoyment of the game

2. What got you into it?
    Played in school, gave up afterwards then felt I wanted to play again

Don't mind. Granny hates it though

Social side, good fun on and off the pitch, the routine is a good thing to have and the competitiveness

Not seriously, damaged my knee and was unable to play most of last season, cracked ribs, torn ankle ligaments when I was younger that's about it.

Johnny, 28, Stillorgan, have played a little over 7 years in total

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wallyking

1.Why do you play?
    Always had a love of the game. To keep fit and for the craic with the lads!
    I had a shot at playin professionly but didnt make it.

2.What got you into it?
    My brothers played it and made me play as soon as i got to secondary school. Haven't looked back since!

3.What do your family think of you playing?
    Mother worries but the rest don't mind.

4.What do you love most about it?
    The physicality and that winning feeling!

5.Have you ever been seriously hurt?
    Nothing serious. Torn ligaments and a fractured elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭maherro

Hey Emily my name is Rob I'm 24 and play for St. Marys

I am going back to the game after two years off one due to injury and the next due to moving up to coleraine and not wanting to play for another club. I play because I love the physicality, the camraderie, the high level of teamwork, the clearly defined role that everyone has on a team, the high fitness level required.........in short because I absolutely love this game.

2. What got you into it?

My dad brought me up to our local club and I became addicted to it. But more then anything playing for my school. St. Marys is a big rugby school in Leinster out of my year 40-50 lads out of 80 played and trained every week.

My Dad loves it, but I think my mum gets a bit worried about it, particularly as I play in the front row and she is scared I'll get hurt (However I have lost a good bit of weight after the last few years so may end up in the backrow)

I presume you mean most? The physical confrontation. I love tackling, scrummaging and rucking

I've torn the cruciate ligament in both of my knees. Both injuries kept me out for a year. Also had a nasty scare at one stage with scrum collapsing right on top of my neck.

Also Will Greenwood has a few thoughts on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwc5eMRylU

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

2. What got you into it?

1. Back when I was playing was pre-professionalism and I wasn't good enough to be getting boot-money. Money never entered my head. I loved the physical and mental challenge the game presented; the cameraderie/craic; the socialising with your opponents, not just your own; the teamwork needed; the discipline - I cannot think of one single aspect I don't/didn't like. A great sport for building self-confidence.

2. I grew up in a background steeped in the game. My old man insisted I play some sport; be it table tennis or cross country running - wasn't important which one. Choice was mine and I guess rugby was the obvious option.

3. Family were hugely supportive; never pushy.

4. What I loved most were that the aftermatch pints were all the tastier for being hard-earned.

5. Nothing too major. Broken ankle. Cracked kneecap. Plus usual run-of-the-mill stuff.

Good luck with the report.

JD. Retired old fart.

Thank you all so much for your reply's :) i really appreciated. It is all helping so much.

Emilyrose89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

for the craic you have, for the fun of it, love of the sport, and sometimes when college or work or women are pissing you off you can go out and relieve some stress
    2. What got you into it?
    my cousin was captain of our club and won the junior cup when i was a young lad and that was the first match i saw and liked it then my brother took it up and then i started playing when i was 13 or 14
    they like that we're interested in sport but the mother doesnt like watching the games incase we get hurt
    the hits
    had to get keyhole in my knee to remove damaged cartilage, dislocated finger but nothing too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

i love the sport, and wouldnt make the irish team :P
    2. What got you into it?
    Dad played as a youngster so any rugby match was on the telly as he's still obsessed, kinda started watching it with him and joined Trinity ladies when i started college
    Dad doesnt mind, we have indepth convos about rugby, mum hates it because she's a nurse so knows all the horrible injuries
    the friends you make on the team, the drinking(no-one drinks like a rugby player) being able to hit some-one, the way its the best stress reliever
    nope, just a knee twist and a bit of a shoulder twinge

Elizabeth, 22
    Trinity Ladies
    5 years

stephen_n wrote: »

No its not at all a strange question. We have to do a sort of photo essay with out photographs for the project.. so u kinda have to tell a story. So finding out why you all play rugby helps im maybe decided on a caption.. or a quote to go underneath that I mightn't think of coz I dont play rugby!! Does that make sense?

Emilyrose89

maherro wrote: »
    Hey Emily my name is Rob I'm 24 and play for St. Marys

I am going back to the game after two years off one due to injury and the next due to moving up to coleraine and not wanting to play for another club. I play because I love the physicality, the camraderie, the high level of teamwork, the clearly defined role that everyone has on a team, the high fitness level required.........in short because I absolutely love this game.

2. What got you into it?

My dad brought me up to our local club and I became addicted to it. But more then anything playing for my school. St. Marys is a big rugby school in Leinster out of my year 40-50 lads out of 80 played and trained every week.

My Dad loves it, but I think my mum gets a bit worried about it, particularly as I play in the front row and she is scared I'll get hurt (However I have lost a good bit of weight after the last few years so may end up in the backrow)

I presume you mean most? The physical confrontation. I love tackling, scrummaging and rucking

I've torn the cruciate ligament in both of my knees. Both injuries kept me out for a year. Also had a nasty scare at one stage with scrum collapsing right on top of my neck.

Also Will Greenwood has a few thoughts on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwc5eMRylU

thank you so much :) and thank u for the link aswell I be sure to have a look at that. emilyrose89

shannone wrote: »
    i love the sport, and wouldnt make the irish team :P
    2. What got you into it?
    Dad played as a youngster so any rugby match was on the telly as he's still obsessed, kinda started watching it with him and joined Trinity ladies when i started college
    Dad doesnt mind, we have indepth convos about rugby, mum hates it because she's a nurse so knows all the horrible injuries
    the friends you make on the team, the drinking(no-one drinks like a rugby player) being able to hit some-one, the way its the best stress reliever
    nope, just a knee twist and a bit of a shoulder twinge

Elizabeth, 22
    Trinity Ladies
    5 years

Hey Elizabeth :) thank you so much for your reply! great to have a girl reply to it and get your opinion too :) thanks again

emilyrose89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

1. It's been a big part of my life and remains to be. I play because I get a lot of satisfaction fom doing so and it is a great team sport.

2.I started playing at the age of 8,my school and dad got me into it.

3. They support me and come watch a game from time to time.

4.For me it's the tackling. It's just a sort of test of strength that I get satisfaction out of.

5.No. I've been very lucky throughout my playing history. I might have broken my nose but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I always think this is a great photo.

http://www.ppai.ie/photos//2006/56.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No its not at all a strange question. We have to do a sort of photo essay with out photographs for the project.. so u kinda have to tell a story. So finding out why you all play rugby helps im maybe decided on a caption.. or a quote to go underneath that I mightn't think of coz I dont play rugby!! Does that make sense?

Emilyrose89

Fair enough :)

Because I'm not good enough to get paid!
    2. What got you into it?
    I have played since I was 8 years old, went to a rugby school and it was what you did. But I loved it from the word go!
    My mother still worries and I think my dad has an issue with who I play for now but only because he thinks it will make me a target.
    The physical challenge, may come across as macho but there is something very intoxicating about putting your body on the line and going up against someone else physically. Some people like scoring tries I always liked the big hits!
    In 30 years of playing I have never been seriously injured, lots of little injuries, like groin strain, shin splints and pulled muscles but no broken bones and no serious muscle damage although I have had a fair few dislocates!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rugby_kats

I love the game, I've played many other sports down through the years and nothing gave me the satisfaction rugby does. Even if I'm having the day from hell I can take all my frustrations out on the pitch. Also the friends you make in rugby you make for life. And nobody parties like a rugby player. lol

2. What got you into it?

I've always been into watch rugby when I was a kid but because I was a woman and living in the heart of GAA land (west kerry) there was nothing available untill I got to college where I found a few of us were really into rugby and started up a team.

Strangely enough my family are proud of me, none of them are really into sports but since I started playing they have all started following the game. My 92 yr old gran comes to the women's home 6nations games and is disgusted that they're not shown on tv.

For me its the physicality of the game, I'm a prop and nothing cheers me up more than being able to best my opposite number or put in some great hits. :)

Strangely enough I've broken every bone in my body playing basketball and torn every ligament and tendon possible. Playing rugby the most serious and only real injury I've gotten is 2 herniated discs.

Recently one of my nephews started playing, I was never so proud watching him run out.

Cathrina, St Marys College RFC, Women's 1st XV, 30. Playing now for 12 yrs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement