Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAME help please

• 08-11-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

So I got MAME32 or UI or whatever its called now. I'm having trouble getting it to recognise a game.

I've taken the game folder (i've left it as a .zip file) and put in the 'rom' folder of mame.

I tell it to audit my games but it won't list it in 'available games'.

I've tried to play it off the list but it just tells me the file is missing. Its really annoying. Does anyone know how to deal with this problem? It'd be a great help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Are there multiple versions of the same game? Say, set 1/2 or something like that? I find some games aren't recognised by mameui, but usually one of the romsets works.

There are, as far as I know, some that just don't work with specific versions of mame, so you could be unlucky with this one.

What game is it out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah yes, this is a very common problem.

It usually happens because there's a difference between the MAME version and your rom names/details. They can differ from romset to romset.

There are programs out there for automatically fixing it all. Someone mentioned it before but I can't remember what it was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    There are programs out there for automatically fixing it all. Someone mentioned it before but I can't remember what it was.

I think that might have been clrmamepro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Clrmamepro is the programme. But this could be a more basic issue. In Mame there are parent rom's which you need to have certain other variants working. For example, your might need SF2 in order to run SF2CE. The CE rom will only contain the extra files needed, and relies on SF2 for the rest.

There are also BIOS files needed for some games. What game are you looking to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Its Street Fighter III 3rd Strike or, sfiii3.

I searched 'sfiii3' in this site: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/ and found all the info. But it doesn't mean much to me!

So I'm going to try to download the game again from different places and see if that works.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    Its Street Fighter III 3rd Strike or, sfiii3.

I searched 'sfiii3' in this site: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/ and found all the info. But it doesn't mean much to me!

So I'm going to try to download the game again from different places and see if that works.

You need the CHD for that game, as well as the rom - thats why it's not being picked up.

After trying several combinations of rom's and chd's, I think I nearly have it. I had to rename the rom to what it was looking for, but I'm pretty sure its the right file anyway.

It still didn't show up in available games as the audit keeps failing but I tried running the game off the list. I got the press ok or left right screen followed by the usual copyright boxes of text and what not.

But then I just get a blank screen. I left it for a while but to no avail. I had to exit out, which left my computer frozen for several minutes.

This is hard work!

You shouldn't need to rename anything, if you do, then it's the wrong file. You need the CHD inside it's own folder called "sfiii" and you need the rom file beside that folder called "sfiii". Put both in the main roms directory & it should run. It not, you may need to run clrmamepro to fix any differences, but be aware you might have the wrong chd altogether.

Well I didn't exactly rename the file, I just added in a bit. It wanted: 'sfiii3_usa.29f400.u2' and my file 'was 29f400.u2'. So I figured I'd add in the first bit and after that it worked. Until the blank screen anyway. I have all the files and folders arranged as you say. Perhaps I'll try that Clrmamepro thing.

This guy had the same prob as you, and details his solution. There's also a link to your missing file in there.

• Advertisement

Well I did all mame asked of me and I never got this to work so I just gave up. Using GGPO instead.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies.

Advertisement