Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Is there any good music magazines out there?

NME, Q or Hot Press? They are three that I am familiar with but are they any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Nope they aren't.
    AU is a good Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

NME has gotten better since krissi Murison took over from Conor McNichols. He turned it into a tabloid, focusing on Pete Doherty'd drug and police woes and all that nonsense. The articles have improved, the layout is better and it's less tabloidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Mojo's decent, but more for retrospective articles on older stuff, the CD they give out can be good too.

I use web-based music sites for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

smokedeels wrote: »

I use web-based music sites for the most part.
    any particular ones?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Pitchfork is good if you don't actually care about the music and want to read a thesis or two :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

any particular ones?

One the Irish front.
    Nialler 9 usually gets most exclusives.
    This is good too.
    http://thosegeese.wordpress.com/
    This is also good.
    http://harmlessnoise.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Anyone else here really like The Ticket?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Eoin Butler's shuffle is always worth reading.

Some very hit and miss stuff in it.

I will say it is very well written. Something often overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I read it cover to cover every Friday. The Irish Times trumps every other national publication for music coverage imo. I don't like Hotpress. The reviews annoy me.

http://www.state.ie/ is quite good

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music is an excellent source for reviews, interviews and links to all sorts of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Kid V wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music is an excellent source for reviews, interviews and links to all sorts of music.

Here's Gruff Rhys playing, name dropping RTE radio and trying to pimp his latest guitar accessory:

http://gu.com/p/2mpt4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hot Press is embarrassing. Love The Guardian's coverage, I don't always care for the individual writers but the breadth and depth is outstanding.*

*That's what she said.

Done to death but this made me laugh...

Hitler's response further down in the article...

http://www.state.ie/news/25877-video-black-eyed-peas-super-bowl-show

It was a good awful performance, not that I expected much.

if people are going out in town over the weekend, i'd suggest going to Sin E and the button factory.

At least give Sin E a good send off and help keep the button factory going. Plus it's free in on Sat Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'd say that Adebisi gig is going to have huge queues outside on Saturday night.

Rumour thanks to Sinfonia is that sufjan tickets go on sale tomorrow morning.

Everyone gets one insulting post against him(?) if it's not true. ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

lordgoat wrote: »
    if people are going out in town over the weekend, i'd suggest going to Sin E and the button factory.

At least give Sin E a good send off and help keep the button factory going. Plus it's free in on Sat Night.
    is Sin E closing?

sprinkles wrote: »
    is Sin E closing?

Yep, there will soon be nowhere left open in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

sprinkles wrote: »
    is Sin E closing?
    Yep, there will soon be nowhere left open in dublin.

Thats Crapness never heard that. Had many a good night there including one just a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

I know the Button Factory has gone into examinership, anyone know how that affects upcoming gigs there? Have tickets for Drive by Truckers in early May Cheers

I know the Button Factory has gone into examinership, anyone know how that affects upcoming gigs there? Have tickets for Drive by Truckers in early May Cheers

well to give it the best chance possible, bring all your friends along to it on sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Toddlers allowed ?

Toddlers allowed ?

yep, can't see why not. The Shank will sooth them off to sleep in no time.

mountain goats. tickets.ie. 17.50 May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Rumour thanks to Sinfonia is that sufjan tickets go on sale tomorrow morning.

Everyone gets one insulting post against him(?) if it's not true. ;);)

Promoter pulled the onsale on this, could be on sale tomorrow, could be next week :( It will happen though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The music shop in my town has shut up shop. Now I haven't shopped in it in years because it was crap and lazy but it's mad how music stores can't stay open. When it opened the doors at first I was surprised at the new releases that I was interested in that would be in stock each week. Then it got to the point when something I'd expect to be in wouldn't be in, then you couldn't so much as expect to find a new Arcade Fire record because it got so bad, focusing on crap dance mix cds, pop hits and cheap dvds.

I've long thought that a café/indie music store is the way to go. Not so much in a small town like where I live but in cities where there would be enough interested music heads. Cafés can make good business and add to it good music on the stereo while there's a little vinyl section down the back to browse through and selection of new release CDs.

Music stores need to keep open and if compromising by bringing in a more reliable revenue is needed then so be it. I know it's not an original idea but maybe it should be utitised more.

Tower Records on Wexford street have opened a cafe on the second floor, decent food actually, staff are sound too.

It would work better if you could get a disc/digital player to sample an album while you ate, but it's just a cafe buried in the DVD section.

I'm sure the major problem - in Dublin anyway - is rent.

It's a real shame... not just the music shops, but clothing shops, bars and book stores and going to keep closing, we'll be buying everything in tesco soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Sinfonia wrote: »
    It will happen though!

AH!!!!!!!!!!!

You bring great tidings! I've been waiting for years to see him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

mountain goats. tickets.ie. 17.50 May.
    I feel thanks isn't enough.

So I will kiss you at the gig.

Advertisement