Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Spent Valentines Day in the Raddison Galway watching Mogwai. Amazing. Was going to go to the gig tonight in Dublin but don't have the energy. Was pleasantly surprised with the venue in Galway. Was a bit worried when I saw it was in a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Jeff Magnum from Neutral Milk Hotel is curating ATP in Minehead in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Kid V wrote: »
    Ye it'll be a fun gig. 'Animals' is my favorite song on Cerulean too! I've seen clips of him live, he gets really into it!

seems like a really nice lad too

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Just came across an article in an old fashion mag from a few years ago on Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong - I had totally forgotten about them, remember they were all hyped by MTV/NME to be the next big thing and they just completely vanished. I couldn't even remember their singles, had to look it up on youtube. Not that they, or other bands like them, are a big loss to music, but it's just a bit sad when bands are built up that high before disappearing into obscurity just as fast as they arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong were one of the last overhyped bands before NME changed editors. I don't think they are as bad anymore but at least it's lessened in the last year. I saw JL&TJJJ supporting the Cribs on the NME tour in Dublin. Pretty crap. They scrapped the debut album after copied went out to reviewers and nothing happened with them. They should have sucked it up and seen what happened.

• Advertisement

Trivia: The singer is the kid who sucked superhands off in Peep Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

smokedeels wrote: »
    Trivia: The singer is the kid who sucked superhands off in Peep Show

Correction: No, that was a different relation of Sophie's. He was the one that was at the cottage before they got married.

He was in The Tudors too - he was an actor before the band, and, er, is quite possibly in that line of work again.
    Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong were one of the last overhyped bands before NME changed editors. I don't think they are as bad anymore but at least it's lessened in the last year. I saw JL&TJJJ supporting the Cribs on the NME tour in Dublin. Pretty crap. They scrapped the debut album after copied went out to reviewers and nothing happened with them. They should have sucked it up and seen what happened.

I totally agree that they weren't the best, but going from being labelled 'Best New Band' and all the 'This Band Is Going To Change The World' to people completely forgetting that you ever existed in a few years is a bit mad. They're not the only ones too, there were others like The Black Kids, but at least I can remember a song of theirs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    I totally agree that they weren't the best, but going from being labelled 'Best New Band' and all the 'This Band Is Going To Change The World' to people completely forgetting that you ever existed in a year is a bit mad. They're not the only ones too, there were others like The Black Kids, but at least I can remember a song of theirs!

FYP

You could probably argue that it took only a few months for some people, the turnover was so fast. Right now I'm not feeling a lot of these new bands being hyped for this year, should be interesting to see which ones are remembered come the end of the year.

Anyhew, quite excited about the new Fleet Foxes album this year. No tickets to see them as of yet, but seen them twice in 2 days in 2009 (Elec Picy & Vicar St) which was pretty cool. Would love to go to Primavera Sound actually but we'll see what the money/ticket availability is like. Was looking for tickets for Anna Calvi and James Vincent McMorrow over the weekend but they're both sold out - got to be a bit quicker off the ball buying tickets, hate missing stuff I could've went to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TwoCanDan

@Up-n-Atom...
    Going to PrimaveraSound myself...brilliant lineup alongside Fleet Foxes...I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think it sells out usually...Get the tickets though, you can always sell a kidney or something...

Really should go, keep meaning to go to a festival abroad and then never commit to it...just need to find someone to go with!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TwoCanDan

Primavera would be a great starting point for you so. It's very good. Mind you I've only been to Benicassim and Way Out West in Gothenburg by way of comparison and they were pretty poor (hated Benicassim). In the end, you spend not that much more than you would at Electric Picnic, and obviously the weather is better. Get working on your friends! (You'd be welcome to hang around with me and my mates, but I have an odious personality...and I smell...)

I can think of one friend who maybe willing to go - we missed the boat with Glasto, that would've been great, esp as it's not on next year! Most of my friends have terrible taste in music unfortunately :(

Other than that I'd love to go to Exit in Serbia - any excuse to hop over to Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Scien wrote: »

You heard it on boards.ie first!

Anybody going to this Forbidden Fruit festival? I got a ticket for Sunday, really good line-up on that day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Same as, Aphex and Caribou and a week after primavera.... boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

F*ckin bastards making gigs around the busiest time of my year.

I was so excited when I read this! Now I don't have to go to Barcelona (although going there too wouldn't exactly be a bad thing...)! And just days from the QOTSA gig too, it's gona be a muscial May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I'm too poor for all this excitement. Maybe Sufjan will accept a new an I.O.U seeing as he owes us another 50 something albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Going to get my Forbidden Fruit ticket tomorrow. The Flaming Lips and Aphex Twin? How could I not :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Forbidden Fruit looks deadly! I was at the launch party thing for it yesterday. I'm off to New York on the 5th but will definitely try to get down on the 4th. Festival fun 15 mins from my doorstep and no gross camping? Count me in!

May is always crazy for gigs. I remember the two weeks before my Leaving Cert was jammed with great gigs. Thankfully my parents were awesome and I got to go to Animal Collective and BSS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I had Radiohead's new album on in the car on the way to work this morning. Codex came on and I nearly cried for some reason. Like, had to fight back tears and everything. Didn't know what was going on - I haven't cried since someone stole my crayons when I was five. And they were great crayons.

tailgunner wrote: »
    I had Radiohead's new album on in the car on the way to work this morning. Codex came on and I nearly cried for some reason. Like, had to fight back tears and everything. Didn't know what was going on - I haven't cried since someone stole my crayons when I was five. And they were great crayons.

tbh, I put it on earlier and I got a weird rush that felt I was about to cry... haven't done that since my dog died.

It's just such a lovely song, it's so pleasant, and his voice coupled with the sparse electronics(?) in the background make it very haunting,

In particular, that one sound that swells like a horn(?) and the way Thom Yorke delivers the line "jump off the edge".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

smokedeels wrote: »
    In particular, that one sound that swells like a horn(?) and the way Thom Yorke delivers the line "jump off the edge".

That's the bit that gets me. It's just beautiful, and so simple - chord change goes up, melody goes down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

tailgunner wrote: »
    That's the bit that gets me. It's just beautiful, and so simple - chord change goes up, melody goes down.
    tumblr_la78oqqVRF1qdoghio1_400.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

http://www.nialler9.com/2011/02/irish/squarehead-midnight-enchilada/

Cannot stop listening! It sounds like summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

That's the bit that gets me. It's just beautiful, and so simple - chord change goes up, melody goes down
    Sinfonia wrote: »
    tumblr_la78oqqVRF1qdoghio1_400.gif

God, I love the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Wish me luck getting sufjan tickets at 9. Cant wait.

Advertisement