Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

On the bright side, you've got three hours and forty one minutes of them left to enjoy.

Mutter, mumble, there was something in my eye as the Murph said goodbye before the last song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I abandon a friend in town who was supposed to taxi home with me all because I drunkenly wanted to get home ASAP from the club to watch this show. He only went to get food and I was having none of it.

Great show, great to see AF appear.

I always read it from James Murphy that he may still music as LCD Soundsystem but that as a band/live unit they were disbanding and he my never release a full album again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I never "got" LCD Sound System. I feel left out with all this public mourning.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

smokedeels wrote: »

Listen to All My Friends at a very loud setting with some headphones on. If that still ain't your thing - fair enough.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Listen to All My Friends at a very loud setting with some headphones on. If that still ain't your thing - fair enough.

I'll give a shot, I'm worried I'll dig it and hate myself for not getting in to them while they still toured.

• Advertisement

I didn't get them at all until I heard Sound of Silver (the album, the actual song might be one of their few weak ones) on in the background of a party and it clicked.

A lot of the builds are very carefully constructed for fun, partyin' purposes, but there was real depth in there too. Lovingly crafted, really fun songs with a deceptive amount of wit and heart. Despite the dancey electronic origins and influence, there was an awful lot of real sentiment in those songs, and I think that's what people responded to. Fun music doesn't have to be dumb, and smart music doesn't have to be painful to listen to in public or completely devoid of the odd bit of humour or genuine emotion. LCD struck a very rare balance on all fronts that will be very much missed, and they've yet to spawn an imitator that even approaches it.

A few blogs called All My Friends the best song of the last ten years, and I'm inclined to agree. In my humble opinion, hearing it while mildly drunk in good company is one of the very finest things in life. Don't let the initial repetition of the beat put you off, neither - anybody I've drunkenly bullied into listening to it always gives out about that, but hang in there.

One of the best live bands I've ever seen too, and I'm pathetically grateful that I got the chance to see them in action just the once.
    Great show, great to see AF appear.

Yes! I'll be hugely surprised if Murphy doesn't produce their next album, which is a prospect I'm rather excited about as you can imagine. All they'd need to do would be staple a load of Caramacs to the CD and it would be literally all my very favourite things in one place.

Crackin post JV, I'd also agree about All My Friends, it's up there for me too.

Lyrcially very strong too, which is often over looked.

Also smokedeels i kinda hope you continue to not be arsed over them, as having missed them in concert would not be a nice thing to take...

Crackin post JV, I'd also agree about All My Friends, it's up there for me too.

Lyrcially very strong too, which is often over looked.

Also smokedeels i kinda hope you continue to not be arsed over them, as having missed them in concert would not be a nice thing to take...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

A friend of mine never got them and watched some of the show the other night and said it now clicked and he's sorry he missed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

On the bright side, you've got three hours and forty one minutes of them left to enjoy.

Mutter, mumble, there was something in my eye as the Murph said goodbye before the last song.

Ah yes, three hours and forty one mintues. It's not long enought though! :(

• Advertisement

I’m typing this and listening to "All My Friends" and wondering when the song is going to go anywhere, the singer emphasising the last word on the line, like "That's how it staaaaaaaaaarts" and it is doing my head in, and the music is very polished, the keyboards in the song does my head in... I like the drums, but I wish they sounded louder.

I like the vocal delivery towards the end but then the song gets all anthemic and puts me off again.

ok, I tired, the songs over and I'm unimpressed, there's some stuff going on the background that I enjoyed, but I couldn't get passed the keyboards and some of the vocals, decent lyrics though, sounded genuine.

I stll think I'm missing something but hey, it's just not clicking with me, I hope you all enjoyed them while they existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I’m typing this and listening to "All My Friends" and wondering when the song is going to go anywhere, the singer emphasising the last word on the line, like "That's how it staaaaaaaaaarts" and it is doing my head in, and the music is very polished, the keyboards in the song does my head in... I like the drums, but I wish they sounded louder.

I like the vocal delivery towards the end but then the song gets all anthemic and puts me off again.

ok, I tired, the songs over and I'm unimpressed, there's some stuff going on the background that I enjoyed, but I couldn't get passed the keyboards and some of the vocals, decent lyrics though, sounded genuine.

I stll think I'm missing something but hey, it's just not clicking with me, I hope you all enjoyed them while they existed.

Maybe age is something to do with it. I don't know what age anyone here but I think the sentiments behind the song of getting older, maybe reaching the end of your partying life and your friends drifting away to do their own thing struck a huge chord with me in my thirties. It's kind of like documenting the occasional blowouts we have where everyone is back together and everybody is chatting like old times. There's no malice or hurt in the song, just a celebration of how great everything has been and realising that other younger people are taking your place in the clubs. Beautiful, beautiful song and twinned with Someone Great on the album it's just heavenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I like the drums, but I wish they sounded louder.

They tend to make the mix quite strange on some songs..with vocals played down or just one insanely loud part at points. I enjoy this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Can i get to see the last concert anywhere? Can't believe i forgot to watch it, think i was very drunk at the time.

It had been up on Youtube, so although it's been nixed in the meantime, I daresay it's doing the rounds in torrent form by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

It had been up on Youtube, so although it's been nixed in the meantime, I daresay it's doing the rounds in torrent form by now.

Ah good thinking, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Picked up Sound of Silver based on this thread, and I rather like it. Not amazing, but I dig.

The impulse to dance in my seat on the bus while listening to Get Innocuous! was high.

1318055_pLijsOd7_c.jpg

I never need to see another image.

I name him Juan ^^^ ;)

Why would you ruin that for me.

• Advertisement

Why would you ruin that for me.

how's that?

Much better. He looks like a Juan.

Are you allowed own owls? Swarms of them? Can you own swarms of owls, and put hats on them?

And mittens? Little owl mittens?

Seems like they should have mittens, so they can be cuddly warm in winter and can't tear you apart.

Much better. He looks like a Juan.

Are you allowed own owls? Swarms of them? Can you own swarms of owls, and put hats on them?

Swarms of owls? You need to brush up on your owl knowledge the proper collective term is a parliament of owls (with hats and mittens)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

1318055_pLijsOd7_c.jpg

I never need to see another image.
    That is so cute! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As long as it doesn't kick start a hipster owl meme, I'm cool with that image.

As long as it doesn't kick start a hipster owl meme, I'm cool with that image.

Too late...

My Owl Dáil will make for a really amazing "body was discovered by neighbours last night" moment when I inevitably die alone and insane in their midst.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Too late...

Cursed internet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Laura Marling has rescheduled for the 23rd June. I was disappointed with her performance at EP but I put that down to poor acoustics in the tent and a very loud crowd. Vicar St should be the perfect venue for her.

Advertisement