Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kold wrote: »
    Fairly sure I've seen that gif before the riots in London.

Twas in montreal dude. Where i'm off to on holidays soon for sandwiches with owen pallett.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If it's not full of spontaneous mime offs and freeform jazz flashmobs, I'd be very disappointed.

Jealous though, very cool. If you happen to be in Mile End, do me a favour and keep an eye out. When are you heading?

If it's not full of spontaneous mime offs and freeform jazz flashmobs, I'd be very disappointed.

Jealous though, very cool. If you happen to be in Mile End, do me a favour and keep an eye out. When are you heading?

Heading for a week at the end of the month. Feel free to give me some suggestions of sh-it to do.

But yes my eyes will be peeled... in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Gonna pimp this now before I forget since I'm on holidays from Monday then straight home to EP.

I've now created a Facebook Event for a Nirvana 20th Anniversary of Nevermind gig. It should be a great night for any Limerick Nirvana fans that can make it, or anyone that fancies a night out West.

nirvanagig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

"one of the most inspirational albums of all time" - ah now ... maybe for kids born in the late 80s who never heard music before, maybe ...... but 'of all time'? I dont think so.

• Advertisement

Each to their own but you can't deny the effect it's had on music ever since.

PS. I didn't phrase the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I notice they altered the album cover too. Is that the way the cover looks nowadays or was it just done for the poster I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Just noticed that after you pointed it out. What's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Not to mention the amount of underground bands that got major label deals and plugs from them. Some of the best bands from the 1980s and 90s like Melvins, Flipper, Jesus Lizard and The Meat Puppets to name a few picked up a few paychecks thanks to Neverminds success.

In terms of their "best album" I'm in the In Utero camp myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

PS. I didn't phrase the poster.

i'd had to give that to mudhoney and the pixies - which were, really, what nirvana were trying to be.

i think they had to edit the photo as it showed the childs willy, and that didnt go down too well.

• Advertisement

That photo was the real version and the poster was made uncensored - I just photoshopped it out so it would meet Facebook standards, when the poster is printer it will be unedited version of the pic.

Facebook blocked the official Nirvana page from using the original album cover when promoting the 20th anniversary edition pics on the site.

The Nirvana/ Facebook thing was hilarious. Annoying, but hilarious.

Quick heads up, the Brothers Dubé (http://brothersdube.com/) are going to be doing a busking tour of Ireland soon.
    They're a bunch of very very young fellas - 10, 12 and 14 - who've raised over a hundred thousand quid for Haiti after their mam died. They were all over Pitchfork and stuff after Arcade Fire crashed one of their sets a while back and brought them to a few festivals, so you might have seen them on youtube. The lads, incidentally, had no idea who they were initially, and just thought they were "drunks". Here they are with Homerun_Homer's mate:

38747_143060322384439_132767206747084_349166_1132784_n.jpg

Bit more about them here.

Anyway, they haven't posted dates or locations or anything, but they're an amazing bunch of lads and they're supposed to be all around the country so keep an eye out, and if you see them, throw them a few quid*.

*Don't do it in a creepy way though, like.

On another note - are we all packed and ready for Electric Picnic?

On another note - are we all packed and ready for Electric Picnic?

Ehhh..... I'm off on a 9 day holiday on Monday and have 1 day break in between it and Electric Picnic. Hope that's enough time to wash all my clothes, rest up and get my crap together for EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Dinosaur Jr cover of Neil Young's I've Been Waiting For You. Pretty good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

Any opinions on Cass McCombs' new song? I've listened to it quite a few times now and I think it's ok. Quite rocky with the usual surly lyrics. I saw him at The Grand Social a few months ago and I think his songs were better where he played the keyboards rather than the guitar (e.g. the excellent County Line - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOcnITphyjk). Very good songwriter either way though.

It's here (http://soundcloud.com/dominorecordco/cass-mccombs-the-same-thing) if anyone wants to stream the new song.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

New Decemberists video for Calamity Song: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/08/22/139033489/first-watch-the-decemberists-calamity-song

It's mostly notable for being an adaptation of the greatest fictional game ever conceived by a human mind: Eschaton, a termonuclear war recreation played on a tennis court, from the gloriously dense Infinite Jest.

Well Montreal was fun.

Stuart Clark from HotPress has just said that he has 100% confirmation that a new My Bloody Valentine album is being made.

Hmmmm......

Can't believe you deleted the topless thread. I was waiting for the hits to rain down.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Can't believe you deleted the topless thread. I was waiting for the hits to rain down.

You can still ogle him in Band Promotion if you want.

• Advertisement

That image is still burned into mine eyes. Not pleasant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know I probably don't want to know what you guys saw, but I still want to know.

I know I probably don't want to know what you guys saw, but I still want to know.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056386770

lordgoat wrote: »
    Well Montreal was fun.

How'd you get on? I hope you got all the poutine you could handle, nudge nudge wink wink.

How'd you get on? I hope you got all the poutine you could handle, nudge nudge wink wink.

I devoured a large portion of it alright. Tasty stuff!

The medieval battle was called off due to the hurricane. Needless to say I was disappointed. I hear the nerds were relieved though. I had Rampage (my blade) at the ready.

I do love Elliott Smith.

Thought i may as well give this another plug in here.

6156618882_66e4a26607_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

fukkan epic. And here we are stuck with those Meteor c*nts making sh*tty ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

R.E.M. have split today. Sad.

• Advertisement

Lads, this is one of the funniest things I've ever read:

http://www.vice.com/read/london-fashion-week-on-acid

Advertisement