Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

smokedeels wrote: »
    I need to get over my "PIL without Keith Levene isn't PIL blah blah" attitude first.

No, I heard or perhaps misheard a lyric from this band years ago and I've used it on forums since.

I actually "drunk-downloaded" a few Eels songs at a party last week. Is "drunk-downloading" a thing?

Oh, and I'm not saying I don't dig the songs.

I only really like the new album and a few of their 80's hits so having not known the old lineup am happy enough with the new lineup.
    Cool cover of pearly Spencer by The_Vietnam_Veterans...the avengers cover is the ultimate though.
    Yip sure drunk-downloading will enter the lexicon soon enough.,,as will drunk-posting and posters remorse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Here comes the airplane-ahhhhhhhhhh

who is mark smith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Principal member of The Fall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

notnumber wrote: »
    who is mark smith?
    This guy

mark_e_smith_fall.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Some chap who was married to the blonde lady from those Gok Wan shows.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Phantom - The END is in mid Sept.

So a little birdy tells me that Phantom are wiping out the entire weekend evening staff. Well the more obscure shows and replecing them with pre recorded shows from the boring morning and afternoon shows.

Great work phantom, I can safely say I will never listen to you once this happens.

Sunday morning coming down with Pearl - GONE.
    James Byrne - GONE
    Dee Reddy -GONE

Not sure about any others but I'd guess Tim O'D and Derek Byrne are also for the chop.

I'm guessing it's a cost saving measure. But to be honest the little slice of phantom that was worth listening to is no longer with us.

I'd urge you all to tune in the last few weeks and bid a fond farewell to some great music and some great people. I'll update this as i hear more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jesus. I'd heard it was getting lean at Phantom, but that's pretty serious.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jesus. I'd heard it was getting lean at Phantom, but that's pretty serious.

It's disgraceful. 5 weekend DJ's gone, all of them with the station 6+ years and I think Pearl has been there since the very start with Sin Pete.

**** off Phantom.

• Advertisement

Bob Mould's new album can be streamed on the Rolling Stone site. He played three tracks off it in Cork and it didn't seem out of place with the Copper Blue stuff so I'm excited.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/album-premiere-bob-mould-silver-age-20120827

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mumblin' Deaf Ro is launching his new album 'Dictionary Crimes' upstairs in Whelan's on Sept 14th.

10 euro in and that includes a copy of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hichcock

I'm sick about the good Dj's getting the chop with the exception of Tim who doesn't have any advertising any way . well apart from Carling ,your weekend refreshment .

as i was saying I'm sick i love night link and the lounge just shows how when a large media player buys in to a Indy station they unravel the Rich tapestry that makes the whole thing roll

I'm gonna boycott all comunicorp stations

any one have suggestions for good INTERNET station shows along the line of James Byrne , the lounge , pearl i might try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

This is a collage of some of my music collection (from 2007). I used these steps.

1718656802_5d1bd8485e_z.jpg

Click on link to view in a larger size.

cheers,
    Pa.

p.s. I posted in alt & indie as a lot of albums fall into that category

Still quite hard to zoom in detail or am I missing something about zooming on flikr? looks like quite a collection!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

This will do similar if you are on last.fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

This will do similar if you are on last.fm
    Awesomeness

Zero1986,6month,6,8,none.jpg

My most played albums of the last 6 months (One album appears twice for some strange reason). Who can guess what's what? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Zero1986 wrote: »

My most played albums of the last 6 months (One album appears twice for some strange reason). Who can guess what's what? :)

Only recognise six of 'em at first glance. :o
    Beach House - Bloom
    Pulp - Different Class
    Big Black - Songs About Fúcking
    The xx - Coexist
    Sigur Rós - Valtari
    Sharon van Etten - Tramp

Here's my...erm....much less alternative or indie collection. I really should use my Last.fm more often:

CaptainGraphite,overall,6,8,black.jpg

Since everyone else is doing it...

jeffreywithonef,overall,6,8,none.jpg

Little diversity there, though it does take into account the obsessive teenage years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Still quite hard to zoom in detail or am I missing something about zooming on flikr? looks like quite a collection!

Here it is on Flickr in the largest size.

Most of the CDs were in the attic for about 3 years after I copied them all to MP3 player. I then sold most of them, for about €3 each.
    I regret it now, even though they'd still be in the attic.
    My oldest kid is 5 now and has a Hello Kitty CD player in her room. She can sing "meet you at the cemetry gates, Keats and Yeats are on your side...." so would have been nice to play 'good music' for her.

• Advertisement

Whats the closing date on the thread Blisterman? looking forward to the 'list'.New replies seem to have slowed .What about letting users who have already posted resubmit their lists?

dont know why you have chosen to ignore my post..thats fine ..let the thread drag on indefinitely..

dont know why you have chosen to ignore my post..thats fine ..let the thread drag on indefinitely..

Before you get snotty with another user I'd suggest that you make sure you post your question in the right thread.

In this case you haven't.

What's the capacity of Whelan's for concerts? I see Jens Lekman is playing there soon.

What's the capacity of Whelan's for concerts? I see Jens Lekman is playing there soon.

400-500 I'd say.

Before you get snotty with another user I'd suggest that you make sure you post your question in the right thread.

In this case you haven't.

Snotty? Hardly..I thought rather than disrupting the thread I would ask the question here. I made an assumption Blisterman would see it here....things are moving again.. no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Oh help me Mrs Medlicott
    I don’t know what to do
    I’ve only got three bullets
    And there’s four of Motley Crue

Half Man Half Biscuit have some fantastic lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

New Mountain Goats album is nearly out I think. Liked the few demo songs I heard on Soundcloud last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Dublin band Kodaline's All I Want is gonna feature on the new season of Grey's Anatomy. Terrible show but so so popular. It really is a big success for a little known Irish band.
    Fair play to them.

Advertisement