Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kamc

A band that I have been blown away by is Belle & Sebastian.

My first exposure to them was their song 'Mornington Crescent' on a Babyshambles' compilation album of their favourite songs. It is a catchy song but I wasn't sure if it was a guy or a girl singing.

Then, while I was watching 'High Fidelity', Jack Black calls Belle & Sebastian's music "sad b*stards music". That made me laugh and I think encouraged me into looking a bit more into them.

Over the past year I have been piecing together their back-catalogue from online (I'm more of a CD person but their stuff is impossible to get on disc).

Some songs I would highly recommend:
    She's Losing It - Tigermilk
    Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - If You're Feeling Sinister
    Step Into My Office, Baby - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
    I'm a Cuckoo - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
    White Collar Boy - The Life Pursuit
    Come On Sister - Write About Love

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

kamc wrote: »

My first exposure to them was their song 'Mornington Crescent' on a Babyshambles' compilation album of their favourite songs. It is a catchy song but I wasn't sure if it was a guy or a girl singing.

Then, while I was watching 'High Fidelity', Jack Black calls Belle & Sebastian's music "sad b*stards music". That made me laugh and I think encouraged me into looking a bit more into them.

Over the past year I have been piecing together their back-catalogue from online (I'm more of a CD person but their stuff is impossible to get on disc).

not a mad B&S fan, but "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" is a really great album...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Anyone else here see The Joy Formidable last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Have you listened to the Push Barman to Open Old Wounds compilation? It collects the EPs and singles they released while they were signed to Jeepster and has some of their best material. Although I love all their albums I still think they are a better singles and EPs band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

BBC6 Music are doing their greatest 100 tracks since they started.
    It's on right now. It's gonna be a good day!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A friend of mine is a member of Turning Down Sex. I always find it hard to marry his exceedingly quiet, mellow personality with the fact that he's in a hardcore noise rock band.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

That Torres album is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Suas11 wrote: »
    Anyone else here see The Joy Formidable last night?

I didn't see this til now. I was at it. Had checked the gigs forum but hadn't seen anyone posting about it so thought it just slipped past boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I didn't see this til now. I was at it. Had checked the gigs forum but hadn't seen anyone posting about it so thought it just slipped past boards.

What did you think of it? I thought they were really good, great performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I enjoyed it. My friends insisted on watching from the platform on the left and I prefer to be closer and get a bit more atmosphere out of the gig and performance. They still played my favourite song again which was on Balloon Called Moaning but not on the albums so I was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I enjoyed it. My friends insisted on watching from the platform on the left and I prefer to be closer and get a bit more atmosphere out of the gig and performance. They still played my favourite song again which was on Balloon Called Moaning but not on the albums so I was happy.

I arrived late and missed the first few songs :o, didn't think they'd be on till later on and Mojitos in Twisted Pepper were too nice! Was strange, I won tickets through Hot Press and just told the bouncers I should be on the guestlist but they didn't even bother checking. Guess it was nowhere near a sellout.

Still thought they were excellent though, crowd was quite reserved I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Absolutely love B&S. First time seeing them was at Electric Picnic a good few years back and they were great live. Surprisingly upbeat. Playing a few festivals in the UK in late Summer so maybe they will be back.

Local Natives tonight :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Local Natives tonight :D

failed to get tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Really enjoyed it myself. Good night overall. Thought they could have played a few more tracks, but Im sure the next gig will be longer.

Got to see the brilliant Mumblin' Deaf Ro again at the MGM last night.

I've only gone and stuck a tenner on him to win the Choice award.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

This post has been deleted.

From their facebook...
    We're coming to Dublin. We'll be at the Olympia on Oct. 24th, tickets to go on sale Friday at 9am. www.localnatives.com

Putting that one in my diary! Yet another band I've discovered through Other Voices on RTE. Great show.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    From their facebook...

Putting that one in my diary! Yet another band I've discovered through Other Voices on RTE. Great show.

They have tickets on sale now from their website. Bagged two already.

Not this time local native!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Is Dan Deacon back in the summer anyone know? interesting gig alrite but less so for the music and more for the mad stuff he gets the audience doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Beach House playing Iveagh Gardens on July 20th. Tickets on sale next Thursday.

notnumber wrote: »
    Is Dan Deacon back in the summer anyone know? interesting gig alrite but less so for the music and more for the mad stuff he gets the audience doing.

I find that stuff gets old pretty quick. Is he still doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I find that stuff gets old pretty quick. Is he still doing it?

Sure is ..I would go again.

This is a clip of an app folks had on their phones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdPZFZJHvE

Stolen from Splainc
    Grizzly Bear added to Iveagh Gardens for 18th July. Tickets on sale 22nd Feb.

Leagues is doing a bundle of tickets for GB, BH and Tallest man, info next week!!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Leagues is doing a bundle of tickets for GB, BH and Tallest man, info next week!!

I initially thought they were all on the same day :( That would have been awesome.

Got my Grizzly Bear tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Got me a Beach House ticket :D What is the Iveagh Gardens like as a venue? Never been there

• Advertisement

I have heard Wild Beasts are supporting Grizzly Bear.....

Advertisement