Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Looking through Tinymixtapes: Top 50 of 2010 some good choices, I noticed "The Monitor" creeping into yet another list so I had a listen to the this....

I've either missed out big on this band or I'm placing too much faith in them based on a good single. Is the album worth checking out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I just heard Kings of Leon's tour bus caught fire in the UK. It really does look like their sex was on fire.

Dum dum tish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

ZIIIING!

Anyone pick up any music-related presents this year? I got my dad Cee-Lo's new album, Deerhunter Halcyon Digest for my brother and Best Coast's for other brother. The bros also got tickets for Deerhunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Twee. wrote: »
    ZIIIING!

Anyone pick up any music-related presents this year? I got my dad Cee-Lo's new album, Deerhunter Halcyon Digest for my brother and Best Coast's for other brother. The bros also got tickets for Deerhunter.

I got Grinderman 2 on vinyl and a Bob Dylan book for my Dad. Looks pretty cool, you get the LP, a 16 page booklet, poster, and CD copy of the album. Got The Rubberbandits' single for my friend as part of a Christ Kindle present. Got Interpol's new album for my sister's boyfriend too.

I gave out a sizable list of albums when the "what do you want for Christmas?" requests were going around, I'm hoping to have a tuneful crimbo myself too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

smokedeels wrote: »
    Looking through Tinymixtapes: Top 50 of 2010 some good choices, I noticed "The Monitor" creeping into yet another list so I had a listen to the this....

I've either missed out big on this band or I'm placing too much faith in them based on a good single. Is the album worth checking out?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monitor_%28album%29

It's gotten fairly strong reviews it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I normally make a few cd's as small presents for a few friends...

I don't think I've picked up any music presents for anyone in my family except for the latest Imelda May cd for my mum. I've made a list of plenty for people to get me but half of it is stuff I already have on ipod, the rest stuff I've not got to listen to yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monitor_%28album%29

It's gotten fairly strong reviews it seems.

I picked it up last night, it's actually pretty damn good.

It's definitely aiming to be "epic", the entire thing is based around using the American Civil War as metaphor for the present, and it's full of guest spots from bands they are friends with (double dagger, hold steady) ala Double Nickels on the Dime.

It just works, even during the spots when it gets sloppy and the singer sounds like he's had one-too-many.

Highly Recommend it.

I felt like Biggie Shackleton today, discovering Antarctica for the first time.

Merry Christmas dudes and ladies, if not for Alt/Indie I wouldn't like boards as much.

Happy mid-winter festival to all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Got my tickets for Iron and Wine, should be amazing.
    And Happy Christmas to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Happy IndieAltieMas everybody. I hope it's marvellous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Tremors is great.

It really really is.

Tremors is great.

It really really is.

Yep a cinematic feat. Maybe skip the sequels and prequel though.

They're under the frickin ground.

It is no Die Hard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Anyone catch that movie Airheads a while ago? Stars Steve Buscemi, Adam Sandler and Brendan Frasier? Biggest crock of **** ever.

Anyone get any CDs for Christmas?

I got;
    Best Coast & Kanye West(Had both downloaded already).

Matt & Kim, These New Puritans, The Mighty Stef (Hadn't heard these albums before now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Anyone get any CDs for Christmas?

I got Kanye West, Klaxons and the Roots.

Klaxons seems abit similar to the first album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Klaxons seems abit similar to the first album.

Really?From what I heard it was madly different, like they were trying too hard to deviate away from the 1st album's sound to avoid the sophmore slump.Regardless, I don't like them.I got a guitar that is a few years younger than my father.

Yeah I don't think Klaxons album is like the first. It's heavier for the most part and not as varied in pace. The EP they released for free online on xmas day from their abandoned James Ford sessions is more different and slower paced.

• Advertisement

Happy New Year all. May this one be better than the last.

Wish my stupid ****ing cold/cough would **** off. Not funny.

Phantom to rebrand to k-roq? Bizzarre if true.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Phantom to rebrand to k-roq? Bizzarre if true.

God that would be awful.

I just get angry listening to that station during the day. They call themselves Dublin's best indie but get away with playing Ellie Goulding and ancient Arcade Fire/MGMT tracks.
    Far better a little bit later in the evening.

There are a few very good shows on it Twee just takes a while to find em. Also don't bear any hate to the Dj's the get very little say in what they can choose to play.

I do think it's a bit of a wind up though...

Ah I know, sure business is business. I did some work placement in a major label and they just call up, do a bit of sweet talking and there's their artist's song on the radio, every station, at the time they want. For example that week they were promoting a new Westlife track, so they wanted it played at lunch time when the wimmins at work would most likely taking a break and have the radio on, or mams heading off in the car to pick up the kids from school. You scratch my back etc.

Twee. wrote: »
    Ah I know, sure business is business. I did some work placement in a major label and they just call up, do a bit of sweet talking and there's their artist's song on the radio, every station, at the time they want. For example that week they were promoting a new Westlife track, so they wanted it played at lunch time when the wimmins at work would most likely taking a break and have the radio on, or mams heading off in the car to pick up the kids from school. You scratch my back etc.

Yep, it's annoying alright and i do feel for the good DJ's out there that have to get on with it.

Did you get much snow over your way? Maynooth is pretty good this time. Guessing you're ok too?

Don't Dublin City FM accept proposals for show ideas?

Is there an decent Indie/Alternative show on that station?

I'm well out of the terrestrial-radio-loop, I listen to the Far Side on Phantom sometimes, that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Sweater Song is on the radio right now.

D'ya remember when Weezer used to be great? :)

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The Sweater Song is on the radio right now.

D'ya remember when Weezer used to be great? :)

I haven't liked a thing they've released post-Pinkerton, we should do a collection for this....

New campaign attempts to raise money to pay Weezer to split up

Advertisement