Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my GC2011 training log

• 08-11-2010 3:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

well, after two years collecting (pulled out of cycling last year through injury) I have decided this year to cycle from maynooth to galway and back again. over the summer i have been swimming 5-6 days a week and swimming on average 2.25-2.5K per week. As a result, I have lost 2 stone and am now down to 12 stone. I have now started on the beginners training cycles. two weeks ago i went on a 25K cycle with an average 21k/ph and today I did another 30k cycle at an average speed of 20.1k/ph. I realise these are pretty slow speeds but I havnt been on a bike proper in about a year after doing some damage to both my hip and knee.

the aim over the next few weeks is to continue my training cycles and the swimming,and I also plan on joining a gym to do some extra cardiovascular work and core training ( I need to research this). after the christmas, I also plan on attending a sports physiotherapist to sort out my left knee and a persistant shoulder problem as by then I should have some money together. I also intend to kit myself out with proper pedals and shoes, so looking foward to a busy year ahead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Sounds like you are well on the road to recovery (and Galway ;)).

As a newbie I have recently moved over to proper pedals & shoes and have noticed that it has taken some time to get the correct line-up of the cleats to prevent knee pain. You should probably take your time about this if you are recovering from a knee ailment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

the aim is to go back to basics as i did with getting used to cycling and drinking, my estate where i could safely cycle around practicing as the roads were particularly quiet and from there i will go to the phoenix park to get more confident

quick update, been a pretty slow week, been on antibiotics but managed to do:
    2 x 2Km swims- 45mins per session
    and
    2 spins, one with the GC training crew, another beginners cycle

MAPS:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/clonsilla/497129038332132800
    This is my usual 20k route that I do when I can

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/maynooth/271129037340589001

this was the GC route we took on saturday, i peeled off in the park to head home for work instead of heading back to maynooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Wooo! You're doing great. Well done on the weight loss too, that's amazing!
    I am n the park a lot too after work in the dark, if you see me, chase me, I am not hard to catch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you see me, chase me, I am not hard to catch ;)

there's an offer that'll be hard to refuse ;)

• Advertisement

i actually updated the target weight, im down to 72kg now. and im sorry to say, until i get a new front light (my other one was nicked!) night time cycles are a little dodgy to say the least but i will surely chase ya if i see you.

hopefully doing this on saturday:
    http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/295/movember50route.jpg

I would have joined you but I am attending a training day with the club. Are you doing the 90km sportive in Navan on Sunday?

i doubt it caroline, probably working, that or I may head out with the GC crew for the usual training cycle, depends really

well crap week in terms of training, actually TERRIBLE. never got to the pool, some eejit took my MP4 player and due to weather conditions i decided to not risk my limbs and stayed off the bike, so in essence, a big fat nothing of a week:(

hey, bout time i updated this. As a result of the bad weather and the fact i dont have a turbo i havnt been on the bike in some time and finally got out today if only to get used to the new look keo easy pedals i purchased. I had some difficulty to start off with but got the hang of it. the main issue was getting my second foot locked in.

i have also gotten myself some gym membership which i will be using for spinning sessions. getting my speed up on the bike as well as general fitness. I have also cut out all the junk food which i had fallen back to in the last month or so. i now have a set food intake for each day which i will be sticking to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Well done so far Biomed, it hasn't been easy getting out for a cycle for the last few weeks but you've still plenty of time before the Galway cycle, the big advantage with the GC is that the pace caters for all levels of reasonably fit cyclists and the stops average out at about every 50k or so iirc but as people say 'the fitter you are, the easier it is' so keep up the good work.

popped my cherry with the pedals today cycling them on the road for the first time, had some hairy moments including a spectacular halting fall at leixlip after i tried to lift my feet off the pedals instead of turning my foot to clip out. an inattentive driver in maynooth mainstreet also nearly caused me to fall over, so in essence, instead of having problems clipping in, im now having dodgy moments clipping out but hte hope is with practice ill get more familiar with the motions.

todays spin was a bust as it was cancelled due to bad road conditions so only managed a 15k spin. Going to the gym or lances loop in the park tomorrow to do some interval training. the main plan for the week is to go on a mid week spin around wednesday (20-30k) and three gym sessions. ill update the stats at the end of next week.

on another note, anyone here gluten intolerent, if so what kind of food do you eat on the bike i.e. ceral bars etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Pop, you pop a cherry! :)

biomed32 wrote: »
    Going to the gym or lances loop in the park tomorrow to do some interval training. the main plan for the week is to go on a mid week spin around wednesday (20-30k) and three gym sessions. ill update the stats at the end of next week.

on another note, anyone here gluten intolerent, if so what kind of food do you eat on the bike i.e. ceral bars etc
    Dry fruits, banana, jellies or gluten free bars :P
    What time are you planning to do the laps?

"What time are you planning to do the laps?"

not overly sure yet, waiting on a friend to get back to me, she is doing the cycle too with me and has done it before, but wants me to check out a bike for her so i guess it depends on what time that is at and when i get back

been a long time since I last posted and just to let you know I havnt been too lazy just very busy:D
    i have kept up with the gym work and the swimming and its paying off on the waist line, im now down to near 12 stone from near 14 at the start of the summer, im still a ways off my target. I have also been out on the bike a few times and am seriously doubting my fitness for the galway cycle as im struggling to keep up and I am beginning to not enjoy it. At the same time I can now cycle near 70km which is a big improvement from the start. I just now need to concentrate on my speed endurance and the mental aspect of it.

Stats:
    Saturday Jan 15th
    Distance: 35.4K
    Average speed: 19k/ph
    Max speed: 40.2k/ph
    Ride time: 1hr 30.22
    Weather: wet, very wet...

Tuesday 25th jan
    Distance: 65K
    Average speed: 18.5k/ph
    Max speed: 40k/ph
    Ride time: 3hrs 50 mins
    weather: rotten/ cold/ wet

Saturday 29th jan
    Distance: 46K
    Average speed: 20k/ph
    Max speed: 34k/ph
    Ride time: 2hr 10min
    weather: cold clear day. possibly the first dry training cycle I have had

A recent development has put a kink in my plans to cycle to Galway and im fairly gutted and pleased at the same time. I have managed to get a job in a lab during the week as well as my part time job and as a result i cannot fit the training i need to cycle to galway and as a result i wont be cycling. The work experience is vital and not something that should be snorted at. I will still be cycling and more then likely will be out over the summer doing some sportives so I may see you at some point. I want to thank everyone for their support so far, it is greatly appreciated.
    Sinead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Well done on the job. You're right, it can make a huge difference to getting a further position or not!

As regards the cycling, you're to be getting in some very nice distances. Have you any specific secondary goal set, or are you just going to take it as it comes?

at the moment as everything is so up in the air im going to take it as it comes. I aim to do the Tour of Kildare this summer as well as the escape from ireland swim and might do a bit of touring, probably around the Mayo area. As it stands im still recovering from a pretty bad bout of illness. I also aim to continue swimming too as part of training and start to eventually get some running in, a team sprint triathlon may be on the cards, a bit of fun with a friend so as yet nothing definative planned!!!

Advertisement