Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flourescent Light bulb replacement in rented accommodation

Options
  • 08-11-2010 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

If a flourescent light bulb [the long tubular kind] stops working in rented accommodation, is it the landlord's or the tenant's responsibility?

There's two lights of the same kind, and I swapped the bulbs. So I'm pretty sure it's the bulb itself that is faulty.

It's not completely blown though - it flickers dimly when it is turned on (in either fixture). I seem to recall something like this being fixed before without changing the bulb..?..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

As far as I know, it's tenant's responsibility. The only case when I'd expect a landlord to change them is when one just moved in and clearly saw it was not working properly (CFL often show signs of "imminent death" by becoming very slow in switching on).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sometimes it can be the starter motor (I forget what it's exactly called) that can be at fault, it's like a fuse. But if a different bulb works in that light fitting then it wouldn't be that.

Bring the bulb to B&Q or even your local hardware store to get the exact same. tbh I'd pay for it yourself, I replace all bulbs myself in my rented accommodation. I can't see how it should be out of the landlords pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I wouldn't see it being the landlord's responsibility to replace the bulb if you're living there. However, if you had pointed it out or included it in a snag list before you moved in, that's different. But the landlord shouldn't have to replace bulbs while you're renting the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It'll be the starter, little cylinder object with two prongs: http://www.google.ie/images?q=fluorescent+bulb+starter

They cost about €2-3 for a new one (check the ratings on the old one for which one to get, if you get one too low powered, the light will take an age to turn on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the bulb and it works now.

Might have seemed a strange question, because it is a consumable. I asked because the landlord is coming over to fix a couple of things anyway (broken light fixtures - it is pretty dark in here! :) ), because I wasn't sure if anywhere local sold them, and because I was under the impression they were a lot more expensive than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Its a BULB !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Doop wrote: »
    Its a BULB !!
    That's right :)

Advertisement