Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Sales

• 08-11-2010 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    If anyone hears of any good bargains on Jackets/pants/gloves please post.

I had a look in TK Maxx and the gear looked very dodgy.
    Id rather pay a bit more and get good waterproof longer lasting stuff...

Flying out 3rd week of January, so would it be best to wait til the post-Xmas sales?

Thank you
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

You don't really get ski gear in the Jan sales, as it's peak time for them!

It all depends on the brand you're buying in TK Maxx, keep an eye out for the better quality stuff. Kildare Village also has North Face and Quiksilver if you're looking for cheaper good quality items. The Nike shop used to sell ski gear, not sure if they do anymore. I got a great pair of gore-tex salopettes for about €60 before Christmas two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

There is also a Tog24 store in Kildare Village with a great selection of gear. Really good deals in The North Face store. I spent about €350 on stuff a few weeks ago and the full retail was €775. I'd say it'll be very popular with skiers this year. I went to Tog24 last year to help a friend with some last minute ski gear shopping for our trip and while they still had a good selection of sizes etc, the sales assistant definitely said that they had had a lot more stock a month earlier. So I guess the moral of the story is don't leave it too late in the hope that you'll get it cheaper (you probably won't anyway like olaola just said)

Oh yeah, forgot TOG24 too - Kildare is defo worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Thanks a lot Guys...
    Just had a look at http://www.estore.tog24.com/Ski%20Clothing.html
    Looks very reasonable. almost the same price as TK Maxx for genuine gear.

Does anyone know the quality of it?
    We were looking at those Milatex Jackets/salopettes/gloves. Its not Goretex, but would they still be waterproof.
    Possibly drive up this week...

Seems decent enough. I've bought my husband hiking gear from the place and it's a good 'mid priced' brand. Defo worth a look I'd say. But I do think getting there sooner rather than later is a good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Dr Nic; They are doing some great stuff in the TX MAXX stores! Tons of Bonfire gear some of it this seasons stuff.

They also have Kiely and some of the Nike ACG gear.

Kildare outlet have tons of Nike ACG gear and the North Face shop has some cracking gear

General rule of thumb Minimum 10,000 m waterproffing is what you are looking for

Fattes wrote: »
    Kildare outlet have tons of Nike ACG gear

Ohh does the Nike store have the ski stuff in again? I didn't see any last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Dr Nic; They are doing some great stuff in the TX MAXX stores! Tons of Bonfire gear some of it this seasons stuff.

They also have Kiely and some of the Nike ACG gear.

Kildare outlet have tons of Nike ACG gear and the North Face shop has some cracking gear

General rule of thumb Minimum 10,000 m waterproffing is what you are looking for
    Which TK Maxx is this?
    Limerick was very poor yesterday morning.

Anything they had looked extremely knocked off. The little cardboard labels looked like something from my printer. No way I would trust them to be waterproof...

Swords, Carickmines and St Stephens Green in Dublin are pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Swords, Carickmines and St Stephens Green in Dublin are pretty good

Which Store did you see the Bonfire stuff in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Which Store did you see the Bonfire stuff in?

I was in the Swords TKMAX on Sunday and it had Bonfire , Westbeach (Canadian Company) and Quicksilver. There was a good range of M and L sizes.

There were also some cool beanies, loads of socks (K2 snowboarding), and an ok selection of gloves etc.

Swords is where I seen the stuff to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

No Bonfire or Quiksilver apparent this week in the Green or Carrickmines, not that I need any more gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Was in carrickmines last night. They had a couple of westbeach "morrissey" jackets. €99 and they had them in the 2 different colours. Very tempted but only in medium and was just a tiny bit too tight. Also had some nike acg stuff. Pants were €50, with pretty mad colours on them. some other decent stuff, but thats all I can remember.

EDIT: Anyone know somewhere in Dublin that stocks volcom stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

I don't know if you just timed it wrong or the TK Maxx you were in was very poor or you just have the wrong idea of TK Maxx altogether but you're way off if you think their gear is "dodgy". It's not knock off stuff or cheap stuff, it's known brands and genuine stuff but out of season so going at a low cost. I've bought a lot of my boarding gear there the last few seasons, saved a fortune and picked up good jackets, gloves and pants (including a lovely pair of Moah pants). Even got my DC snowboard boots there. Check again in the next few weeks.

I'm in TKMaxx in Swords now. They have from what I can see: westbeach cypress jacket in M x 3 / L x 1. Westbeach morrisey jacket M x 1, westbeach the chip jkt XL x 2 .
    I Can't see any Bonfire today. They also have a selection of Nike acg & Rossignol. Not a great selection of gloves. I do see one pair of Marmot Exum gloves. Loads and loads of socks. Some goggles. 3 snowboard bags. 2 x Tresspass and 1 x Quicksilver. One thing I was shocked to find is a lovely Dakine rolling bag. Looks to be about 100L or so in volume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Good estimate on the capacity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Was over in Blanchardstown yesterday, picked up a Westbeach Franz 20k jacket in TK Maxx for 73euro :D

There was some good deals in 53 Degrees North, North Face, Columbia and Nike jackets going for around 100euros, all large sizes though.

Was down in Kildare Village yesterday. I couldn't see any Men's ACG stuff in the Nike store, but they had a sample sale on - and there seemed to be 1 type of Men's ski jacket, only available in medium, in dark purpley colour. But it was €25, and you can use the 10% VIP card on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Maybe not helpful, but is there a big intersport in a town near where your going, that you could swing by on your way to the resort?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harrise

I've looked in a few different tk maxx shops and all the shops in Kildare outlets and cant find any affordable ski jackets in a small or xtra small. They had some nice stuff in the swords tk maxx but all large sizes.

So I have to go to Belfast anyway so I was thinking of looking for a jacket up there, I know they have the new decathlon store up there which could be good and maybe tk maxx but does anyone advise anywhere else?

Also, I got pant in tk maxx the other day which have a waterproof value (or whatever you call it) of 5000mm. Do you really need the 10,000mm in pants and jacket or will these be ok?

Emma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

if you are ever thinking of venturing north , there are some serious deals to be had in the bambridge outlet store. it's only about 20 min past newry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

tkmax in galway has been very poor - especially in the small size but I did manage to pick up a nce softshell regatta top/jacket for €35

also got a spam mail today....

use discount code....... SKI10........... to get up to 10% off ski insurance with getcover.com

Hey harrise,

If your heading to Belfast you could check out Tiso , Jackson Sports (more of a hiking/mountaineering shop) & Surf Mountain. Of the 3 I mentioned I would head to Tiso and Surf Mountain. I'm on a phone at the moment but they both have websites so you can get address' of them. They're only a few minutes walk away from each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I was in TKMaxx in Cork yesterday looking for pants - have to say, worst selection I've seen in there

Advertisement