Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my Sky+ banjaxed?

• 08-11-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just as the title says, is my Sky+ banjaxed or is there a setting that I can check. So what's happening?

1. My RF2, that is used to feed upstairs is gone. Went very suddenly one night while I was watching tv. Not getting any signal at all.

2. We cannot toggle up or down between channels while viewing. If we are watching say RTE1, I cannot toggle up to RTE2. I must go out to the EPG & move to the desired channel that way.

If it is broken, can it be fixed or what is the best option available to me. The RF2 is a big loss for us.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Regards,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Dummy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just as the title says, is my Sky+ banjaxed or is there a setting that I can check. So what's happening?

1. My RF2, that is used to feed upstairs is gone. Went very suddenly one night while I was watching tv. Not getting any signal at all.

2. We cannot toggle up or down between channels while viewing. If we are watching say RTE1, I cannot toggle up to RTE2. I must go out to the EPG & move to the desired channel that way.

If it is broken, can it be fixed or is what is the best option available to me. The RF2 is a big loss for us.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Regards,

D.
    Have you had a look at your dish? Was a bit windy in places last night, may have move slightly or lnb become loose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

you can try to re boot the sky box at the wall. if that doesnt work try a forced software download. you need to turn hold the back up button for 10 secs and your sky will then go into a housekeeping menu and download new software. if all else fails you can re boot the whole box but if its a sky+ box you will loose all recordings. let me know what type of sky box it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

This happened last week.

Dish is fine - have an Octo LNB attached feeding a 2 freesat tvs and they are perfect.

D.

Hi Cartman,

Sorry I should have said that I left the Sky box unplugged from power for a night and then tried it again in the morning. The problem persisted.

I'll check tonight to see what make of box it is and let you know.

I'll have to find a means of backing up recorded programs before they are deleted. Kids have recorded programs they are using for school projects.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnjoda

I recently had the same problem, after taking advice from sky engineer i moved my digital cordless phone more than 2 metres from sky box. All now fine, give that a go!;)

• Advertisement

could be the box alright. try the software download first then the box reboot. the only way though to back up your sky+ is to copy to dvd recorder or else to a video capture device on your pc or laptop. i had the same issue when i got the hd box. i lost everything i had on the sky+.
    try this though for the software
    this is done by

software download sends a signal to the dedicated download stream on the Astra 2a satellite. Software is downloaded from the satellite, not via your telephone line. To start the sorftware download follow these instructions:

1. Press standby.
    2. If a cordless telephone is in use, and connected to same socket as box, unplug box plug only – not the phone.
    3. Switch off power supply to set top box.
    4. Ensure connected equipment (TV, DVD etc.) are switched to standby then switched off/disconnected at mains power supply.
    5. Ensure no lights remain on box or any connected equipment.
    6. To start download process, press and hold in backup button on front panel of box.
    7. While holding in backup, restore power to box by switching on at mains socket, continue to hold backup.
    8. Hold for up to 30 seconds until all lights on front panel of box display. When all lights appear, backup button can be released.
    9. If after 40 seconds, lights have not appeared, start process again. If second attempt fails, you’ll need to contact us for further assistance.
    10. Switch on, or reconnect, all electrical appliances that were disconnected at power supply and switch TV on as normal.
    11. You may see and on-screen message stating: Updating System Software, do not disconnect from the mains supply or satellite dish. This process may take up to 10 minutes.

johnjoda wrote: »
    I recently had the same problem, after taking advice from sky engineer i moved my digital cordless phone more than 2 metres from sky box. All now fine, give that a go!;)

Hi John,

I have nothing wireless near the Sky box at all.

Quite literally, we were watching tv upstairs one night and suddenly the picture and sound went. We were left with a snowy picture.

D.

john is your box picture working perfectly downstairs. are you watching from the same box upstairs through your rf2 out and a magic eye.

could be the box alright. try the software download first then the box reboot. the only way though to back up your sky+ is to copy to dvd recorder or else to a video capture device on your pc or laptop. i had the same issue when i got the hd box. i lost everything i had on the sky+.
    try this though for the software
    this is done by

software download sends a signal to the dedicated download stream on the Astra 2a satellite. Software is downloaded from the satellite, not via your telephone line. To start the sorftware download follow these instructions:

1. Press standby.
    2. If a cordless telephone is in use, and connected to same socket as box, unplug box plug only – not the phone.
    3. Switch off power supply to set top box.
    4. Ensure connected equipment (TV, DVD etc.) are switched to standby then switched off/disconnected at mains power supply.
    5. Ensure no lights remain on box or any connected equipment.
    6. To start download process, press and hold in backup button on front panel of box.
    7. While holding in backup, restore power to box by switching on at mains socket, continue to hold backup.
    8. Hold for up to 30 seconds until all lights on front panel of box display. When all lights appear, backup button can be released.
    9. If after 40 seconds, lights have not appeared, start process again. If second attempt fails, you’ll need to contact us for further assistance.
    10. Switch on, or reconnect, all electrical appliances that were disconnected at power supply and switch TV on as normal.
    11. You may see and on-screen message stating: Updating System Software, do not disconnect from the mains supply or satellite dish. This process may take up to 10 minutes.

Cartman,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out that very thorough description. I will try this after I have backed up the kids nature programs.

Thank you very much again.

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

You forgot to tell us the make and model number from the label.

• Advertisement

Liameter wrote: »
    You forgot to tell us the make and model number from the label.

Hi Liameter,

I'll get this for you tonight when I get home.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnjoda

Yes all fine with my set up now, i am watching 3 tvs from digisender box.
    If you discover it is your box, i have a spare box for free if you want to collect. Rathvilly Co. Carlow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

If it's a Thomson you need look no further than the capacitors in the PSU.

try the software download and see how you get on. if not try the re boot but you will loose everything on the box.
    is your box working ok downstairs or is it just the picture on the other tv. if so that may not be the sky box at all

try the software download and see how you get on. if not try the re boot but you will loose everything on the box.
    is your box working ok downstairs or is it just the picture on the other tv. if so that may not be the sky box at all

Cartman,

The box is working fine downstairs, except that I am unable to toggle between the channels when I am viewing a channel. I must go out to the EPG and switch channels that way.

Apart from that, the box works fine.

D.

Liameter wrote: »
    If it's a Thomson you need look no further than the capacitors in the PSU.

And if it is the capacitor in the PSU, can they be replaced? If so, is it an expensive job to get done?

D.

it could be the booster in your attic that boosts the signal from the back of the sky box to the other tvs in your house. there is also a hidden installer menu so you can maybe re tune your other tvs.
    press services and settings and then press 0 1 select. this will take you to a hidden sky menu to allow you to look at the rf outlets.
    make sure its set to on and then see what channel it is on. eg ch 64. then you have to tune all the relevent other tvs to that channel. try moving the channel to say 57 and see how you get on.

it could be the booster in your attic that boosts the signal from the back of the sky box to the other tvs in your house. there is also a hidden installer menu so you can maybe re tune your other tvs.
    press services and settings and then press 0 1 select. this will take you to a hidden sky menu to allow you to look at the rf outlets.
    make sure its set to on and then see what channel it is on. eg ch 64. then you have to tune all the relevent other tvs to that channel. try moving the channel to say 57 and see how you get on.

Cartman,

Once again, thank you very much for your input.

I have checked the RF outputs on the Sky box and these are fine. I will try changing the channel number and see how I get on.

Thank you again and indeed to everyone for your help and advice.

Regards,

D.

The Sky + is working again, thanks to the excellent advice from everyone here. I checked the channel for the RF out on the box and then retuned the TV upstairs and worked first time.

I would not have thought of this in a month of Sundays.

But the remote does not allow me to toggle up & down between channels, to read what is on the next channels. I am able to use the Channel + and Channel - buttons and am also able to go out to the EPG to select from there.

Thank you again for all of your help & advice.

Rgds,

D.

no problem at all. had a feeling it would have been that. least your in business again thats great. could be a faulty remote on the channel front. try changing manually on the sky box itself and see if it works. if it does its the remote. could be needing new batteries or some of the buttons are on the way out. you can pick up a new sky remote for around 20 quid

• Advertisement
Advertisement