Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I treat wall after removal of wallpaper

• 08-11-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi folks,
    had the nightmare job of removing wallpaper at the weekend. after soaking the wall in a solution of water and vinegar, the paper did come off but it was a slow process. My issue now is that about 25% of the original paint came off too.

if i paint the wall now it will look terrible. I researched this and it said to sand the wall. after a decent bit of sanding i dont think this is the solution to my problem.

Is a coat of primer my solution here?
    I am in trouble here so any help is more than welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, it'll be very difficult to get a smooth wall without re-skimming it. Can you re-paper it with heavy lining paper, and then paint it?

If you are doing this, leave a small gap between the sheets of paper and fill them with a bit of filler. This will hide the lines in the walls where the paper meets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Very true if the walls are bad but if theyre just tatty from partial original paint ad if u could isolate the room then by all means get a sander to the walls. This will be messy but im using a dry lining paint at the minute for coating bad or old walls and a couple of coats of this will greatly improve the look and leave it in great nick for your top coat of whatever finish paint your like. I dont sell or manufacture the stuff but a google will source it for u in your area.

Advertisement