Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop noise coming through Air Vents?

• 08-11-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I recently moved into a new apartment that backs on to train tracks. There are 2 air vents in the main bedroom and when a train is passing they seem to allow all the noise into the room. I was wondering if it was safe to block these vents and if so what would be the best way of doing so?
    Any help would be very much appreciated as 4 hours sleep is not enough.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't block the vents. You need ventilation.

You could make some baffles that will help reduce the noise. You'll need to insert the baffles into the vent. Essentially, the baffles will lengthen the distance the sound has to travel. The material you use for the baffles will also have some impact on sound reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jimmyc147

Thanks for the reply, i will look into it.
    Its quite a spacious apartment and has other vents throughout. Do you think it would be possible to block the vents and leave the bedroom door open.
    I may get used to the noise but at the moment its a real pain and just signed a year lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

We had similar problems in our house and we just blocked the vents completely and aired out the house regularly by opening windows during the day. In our sitting room the vent is placed right beside the radiator, having the vent there was just the same as having a hole in our wall, the noise and drafts coming through was unreal! Blocking it reduced the drafts and noise and we've never had problems, but I do realise we need to air the house but I don't mind that.

Thanks. What did you use to block up the vents. I've been advised that a dense foam or rockwool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Jimmyc147 wrote: »
    Thanks. What did you use to block up the vents. I've been advised that a dense foam or rockwool.

I just rolled up old towels, wrapped them with plastic and stuffed them in to the vent. I was going to block it permanently with that self expanding foam stuff but we intend on selling the house in a few years and thought it best not to permanently block them. We will remove the blockage before we sell of course.

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks. I wasnt looking forward to trying to convince the landlord.
    Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I just rolled up old towels, wrapped them with plastic and stuffed them in to the vent. I was going to block it permanently with that self expanding foam stuff but we intend on selling the house in a few years and thought it best not to permanently block them. We will remove the blockage before we sell of course.

Thats brilliant,and suppose your boiler leaks while you are all asleep and there is no fresh air to get into the house.

Sorry to say this,but you are an idiot and really really need to read up on why mechanical vents MUST be in a house.

In defence of trotter_inc I have also contacted a number of professionals both in soundproofing and Insulation. They have all agreed that it is not a major issue if the vents are blocked once the house is aired on a daily basis as well as have adequate venting throughout the house.

Say I do block the vents in the main bedroom. The boiler which is about 4 years old is located in the hall. There vents in the hall, in the spare room and in the the sitting room that i do not intend blocking. Would this not be a significant amount of fresh air if a boiler leak was to happen?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant,and suppose your boiler leaks while you are all asleep and there is no fresh air to get into the house.

Sorry to say this,but you are an idiot and really really need to read up on why mechanical vents MUST be in a house.

Most boilers are balanced flue. ie, they take air in from outside and expel
    fumes through the flue dicharge pipe.

If the boiler was to leak I wouldn't be reliant on the fresh air make-up to dilute any Carbon Monoxide or gases. Get a carbon monoxide detector!!!!:eek:

You need natural ventillation to maintain good air quality (building regs). poor air quality can be highlighted by an increase in condensation, milldew and general dampness/ stagnation of air.

If you have a open solid fuel or gas appliance , like a gas fire, you need ventillation for combustion air.
    As the fire is burning it will take air (oxygen) from the room and this needs to be replenished. Usually your 4" hole through the wall is adequate.
    Depending on the size (Kw rating) you may need additional ventillation.
    If you have a chimney ( open flue appliance) it will be drawing additional air out of the room so this air needs to be replenished... the builder should have taken all these issues into consideration when installing air vents.

So you should not be closing off, blocking with insulation or reducing the size of the air vent.

Re: noise.
    You can buy special vents that reduce drafts and can reduce noise. These still ensure correct air volume ( Free Surface Area)..

Finally IMO. It's very harse to call Trotter_inc is an idiot... just misinformed...

however if he is a "Trotter" I think "A PLONKER" might be more accurate:D:P/... LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭corboy

Hi All,
    I too am in a similar situation, we moved in to a new build 10 months ago,

The house is open plan in the living areas so only the bedrooms are fully closed off.

The sound from the nearby raod along with the drafts of cold air running through the house is terrible. All vents are south facing and we are located high on a hill!!!

Our boiler is outside the house in a garage, would we be still be members of the idiots/plonkers brigade, to close off some of the vents in the open plan part of the house??

If so what is the alternative and do they work, has anybody installed a system into their vents to reduce noise and the flow of air??

Many Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 New_Girl

I have a similar issue but with drafts coming in through extractor vents, particularly in the bathroom. The vents have covers with flaps on the outside of the house which are supposed to reduce drafts but they don't seem to do much. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I recently blocked up the vent in my room, as there is main road opposite and the noise was pretty bad, as well as the fact it let in an awful draft.
    I do really wonder about these, whats the point in insulating the crap out of a house if you have to then have a big hole in the wall.
    I can understand in rooms where there is a boiler or that fair enough. But surely in a bedroom a once a day good airing out is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

With the bad wetter last week the boiler was running constantly the whole day and the house was freezing cold
    wind was blowing trough the vent holes
    Bought 2 tins of expanding foam and filled all the holes(vents)except the one in the bathroom
    I think im not the only one whos doing this
    Have no boiler or other open fires in the house so no dangers from them
    Its a stupid rule for a country so cold wet and windy to must have those holes in the walls
    never seen them in holland belgie or scandinavian countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Niteadds

Same in Canada. I think it's daft to have the vents and the heat that's wasted, might as well just through your money in the bin. About 99% of houses in Canada and the states only have one vent for the entire house and that's to feed the boiler and forsed air fernices (air exchanger) other then that the houses are draft tested and any drafts found are filled and sealed. As long as the boiler can breath go for it and if there is dampness or drafts find where it's coming from and plug it up. You will find you heating bill will drop. And insolate where you can. It will save you loads in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

OP
    I have two vents in my bedroom also. They make the place very cold. I blocked em with compacted newspaper followed by expanding foam. Foam acts as an insulator and good noise barrier. It expands to fill all the little nooks and crannys.

I have used the room now for two years and I aint dead yet. If I die in bed some night....so be it. At least I'll die warm and noise free.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Misty Midlands

Hi All,
    I have air vents all over my house, with my heating turned up, my house is still cold. I covered the vents with masking tape but not much difference. Do you know if there are any removable covers available to cover these louvered vents?... as tape still lets the cold in. Surely in this day and age there must be some covers, or else vents that shut firmly.:confused:

Thanks

Advertisement