Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom or vodafone broadband?

• 08-11-2010 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

wondering what peoples opinions are on this..

am an eircom customer, we pay 52 euro a month for a 8gb broadband, line rental and calls off peak.. been with these for years, but getting sick of paying too much for the package, i did a speedtest and the speed is 1.64 and upload is 0.18, i live in the clonsilla area of dublin

was just looking at the vodafone prices, a 8gb broadband, line rental and calls off peak is 40 euro
    just wondering has anyone changed over and is is worth it, like whats the broadband like because anything should be better than 1.64 for a 8gb line

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

8Mbps, not gbps. There's a world of difference.

Changing to Vodafone will not make one bit of difference, they just re-sell eircom broadband, so it's going to be exactly the same. To see any improvement, you're probably going to have to get off DSL, and on to cable or wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you can't get UPC in your area, check out Digiweb metro 8mb including phone for €39.95 p.m. Install is free and according to reports on Boards the service is excellent. P.S. I don't work for Digiweb. http://www.digiweb.ie/home/bundles/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

We had UPC 15Mb for 6 months. Very problematic, constant connection issues, numerous engineers, change of router, hours on the phone and no resolution, so had it removed.

I assumed that, as a previous poster said, that vodafone simply resell eircom, which apparently is not the case.

eircom have been around claiming that 'only they' can offer NGB and higher speeds which seems to be somewhat backed up by vodafone technical rep who stated that vodafone are using 'BT equipment' at the exchange and despite their website saying that the Blanchardstown exchange can supply 'enhanced' broadband it's only LLU so there is still contention.

We have vodafone a week now (Huntstown, D15), but if it isn't 'enhanced' it was mis-sold as a package and if they don't get the service stabilised they will be taking a hike too.

When UPC finish their never-ending upgrade in the area I may switch back but not before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

fdevine wrote: »
    I assumed that, as a previous poster said, that vodafone simply resell eircom, which apparently is not the case.

BT had equipment in 12 exchanges (out of over 1100 exchanges in the country), which now belong to Vodafone. The number is so small that it is not worth mentioning. The vast majority of Vodafone customers are re-sold eircom. In fact, the vast majority of an DSL user in Ireland are all on eircom retail or eircom wholesale.

Smart and Magnet have equipment in more exchanges than BT had (maybe a few hundred between them, I'm not sure), but it's still a low percentage of the total DSL market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

i moved from eircom to vodafone this year and they are much cheaper and the speeds are faster than what i had with eircom and their crappy congestion. i get speeds of 7mb most of the time for 40.00 a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 markfitz72

i moved from eircom to vodafone this year and they are much cheaper and the speeds are faster than what i had with eircom and their crappy congestion. i get speeds of 7mb most of the time for 40.00 a month

where abouts do you live??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

You will pay extra for voice messaging services with Vodafone, on top of the €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

i live in meath. used to only get 3meg but now upto 6.5 and 7 so not too bad. was looking at wi max but they aint cheap considering there is "no line rental"

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

markfitz72 wrote: »
    wondering what peoples opinions are on this..

am an eircom customer, we pay 52 euro a month for a 8gb broadband, line rental and calls off peak.. been with these for years, but getting sick of paying too much for the package, i did a speedtest and the speed is 1.64 and upload is 0.18, i live in the clonsilla area of dublin

was just looking at the vodafone prices, a 8gb broadband, line rental and calls off peak is 40 euro
    just wondering has anyone changed over and is is worth it, like whats the broadband like because anything should be better than 1.64 for a 8gb line

thanks

Very happy with VF at home 7mb package (in Co. Cork) - approx €48 / month ( afew extras on top). No major problems, once or twice the connection dropped but nothing too bad. Manage to consistently get download speed around 6.2 mb.

Mind you - I'm very close the the exchange <1.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

I have just moved the other way from VF to Eircom. I found VF customer service a disaster. I know my exchange is probably overloaded and since VF took on BT customers the service is totally unreliable. I am hoping an eircom customer might get some priority but I know its wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I know this isn't relevent to the thread really but I was am with Vodafone (due to them taking over BT customers) and have one of the older BT Voyager modems which is constantly cutting out lately, so my neighbour had a spare Eircom modem which she gave me - I have changed the username and password to the vodafone settings - but what I am wondering is whether or not I can still download torrents etc from certain sites or will having eircom have a way to detect such things due to me using their modem? Cheers.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No they cant,modem is just branded by them but we cant discuss any illegal downloading on here so don't bring the subject up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

if the torrents are legal you shouldn't have any grief from eircom at all :)

homer911 wrote: »
    You will pay extra for voice messaging services with Vodafone, on top of the €40

are you talking about voice mail?? its just we dont really use the landline at all really.. all have mobiles and never really in the house..ordered today and got it at 38 euro as im a bill pay customer.. up to 8mb line, free line rental, and 200+ mins to vodafone mobiles, plus free off peak and weekend call, not bad i think

i live in meath. used to only get 3meg but now upto 6.5 and 7 so not too bad. was looking at wi max but they aint cheap considering there is "no line rental"

well were dublin 15, clonee is right beside me.. im getting 0.4 at the mo on a 8mb line.. anything is better than that so

Advertisement