Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is there any point in upgrading from the Elite model which I have to the newer model.

• 08-11-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Is there any point in upgrading from the Elite model which I have to the newer model of the 360.

The only thing I can see that would benifit me is the bigger hard drive.

Is it needed for using Kinect? From what I've seen I dont think it is but would it help that in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

No you dont need it for kinect, as for the newer model, its quieter and easier on power. Those on their own arent much of an issue if you already have an elite, as for the hard drive how full is your HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I hate the way the xbox is so behind the wii! Every time nintendo comes up with something microsoft go and copy it :rolleyes:

Regarding the new xbox, why does it say 4GB on the box?? Should it not say 400GB or am I missing something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

kingtut wrote: »
    Regarding the new xbox, why does it say 4GB on the box?? Should it not say 400GB or am I missing something :confused:

No there is a 4 gig model out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I hate the way the xbox is so behind the wii! Every time nintendo comes up with something microsoft go and copy it :rolleyes:

Yeah, if you bought the 4GB model, you're missing 396GB ;)

The new model comes with either 4GB as the base, entry model or 250GB on the premium model. The base model is just for people that don't really require space for demos, extra game content, movies, installing games... it's really just for people that want a basic machine for playing directly from disks and don't want to avail of Xbox Live's features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

What have microsoft copied from nintendo?

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »

Just ignore KingNuts's trolling. He's obviously looking to spark a heated debate that's already been done to death... yawn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Just ignore the Kingnut's trolling. He's obviously looking to spark a heated debate that's already been done to death... yawn...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

No there is a 4 gig model out.

So if it is your first xbox and you need storage space you need to get another drive right?
    Yeah, if you bought the 4GB model, you're missing 396GB ;)

The new model comes with either 4GB as the base, entry model or 250GB on the premium model. The base model is just for people that don't really require space for demos, extra game content, movies, installing games... it's really just for people that want a basic machine for playing directly from disks and don't want to avail of Xbox Live's features.

Cool thanks!
    bryaner wrote: »

The concept of the wireless control system (in that the controller does not have to plug into the console - ye I know the wii has a cable running between the two controllers)
    Just ignore KingNuts's trolling. He's obviously looking to spark a heated debate that's already been done to death... yawn...

I am not a troll! Take a look at my post count and how long I have been using this site to see that :rolleyes:

I have both a wii and a xbox and I use them both equally so I am not biased at all. I am not looking for any sort of debate and how am I to know that the topic of wii vs. xbox has been done before? Maybe you have time to trawl through hundreds of threads but I certainly don't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

he concept of the wireless control system (in that the controller does not have to plug into the console - ye I know the wii has a cable running between the two controllers)

Yeah Atari beat them to that many many years ago.

http://classicgames.about.com/od/classicvideogames101/tp/2600Oddities_TheControllers.htm

While I can safely say Kingtut is not a troll, I do question why he brought this topic into this thread.

On pioneering console development etc, I recommend creating a new thread in the games forum to discuss the elements that have pioneered from the little benefits (home button) to the industy changing (d-pad)

there's also surprisingly alot of smaller companies that have beaten the bigger names to many innovations...its just they had neither the brand or support to really utilize them.

But the topic of this thread is if someone should bother moving from an elite to the new slim model.

Personnally I dont see much benefit, unless you never got the wifi for your 360 and need to go wireless, the slim comes with one built in which if you hate dealing with cables might be somehing that you'd want.

easy breakdown here: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/33726/xbox-360-slim-vs-xbox-360

I have both a wii and a xbox and I use them both equally so I am not biased at all. I am not looking for any sort of debate and how am I to know that the topic of wii vs. xbox has been done before? Maybe you have time to trawl through hundreds of threads but I certainly don't :rolleyes:

Sorry for labeling you a troll, if it was a genuine post. We get a lot of fanboys coming on these threads knocking the 360 but mostly by PS3 owners.

In answer to your question, it's not really MS following the Wii. They've just identified a niche in the market that Nintendo have monopolized of the last number of years. You could call it the "casual gamer" or "family gamer". However, the controller free idea is certainly new to the industry and adds a new and exclusive element to that niche. They say competition is good for the consumer so perhaps it'll make Nintendo up the tech in their console to come more in line with the other 3rd generation consoles on the market. Win win for everyone then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

They say competition is good for the consumer so perhaps it'll make Nintendo up the tech in their console to come more in line with the other 3rd generation consoles on the market.

Seventh.

third was nes vs master system etc where Nintendo were the technology leaders...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(third_generation)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Seventh.

third was nes vs master system etc where Nintendo were the technology leaders...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(third_generation)

You're absolutely right... for some reason I wrote third (I was counting in my head at the time) when I meant to write "next" 'cause I couldn't remember the right figure :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

we'd to do controllers as apart of our dcg project last year for the LC and when you research the history of controllers nintendo come up with an idea and others make it better and beat the copy right. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

regarding the xbox. ive got a 20gb and ive no downloadable content on it only game saves and battledfield bc2 installed on it and ive only like 2gb space left. must go threw it but its mostly game saves taking up all the space so i presume 4gb would be crap if you plan on playing alot of different games and making alot of saves

Advertisement