Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Score Tournament

• 08-11-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

Since the high score thread for October wasn't quite able to match the popularity of the September one. Possibly due to a lack of either prizes, or bullet hell, let's try something new.

How about a retro themed online tournamet. We'd need 8 or 16 people, randomly drawn to play one on one high score battles, whoever posts the highest score in say, 3 days goes through to the next round. The games would be taken mostly from the high score suggestions thread, with maybe one or two surprises chucked in.

If there's enough interest I also still have that €25 Game voucher/card... thing, since polyfusion turned it down. So that would be up for grabs for the winner, and I mighr, just maybe, have a runner up prize, we shall see.

So who'd be interested, if anyone? And any suggstions to improve on the idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That sounds pretty interesting. I think the problem with the current one is it's just too open. If you had X person versus X person within a certain timeframe that'd make it a lot more entertaining.

You can put me down for that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My only problem with the last one was that I've just been so busy that I didn't have the time to take part. Would have loved to have played some rainbow islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Time is a premium for me as well, so don't know if I could take part under a stricter time-frame. That being said, I'll put my name down for it anyway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Same as ghostchant, I just about managed to find time for a few goes of the last games in all of October. So if anyone gets drawn against me then it'll probably be a walkover. :D Stick my name down anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

Count me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My only problem with the last one was that I've just been so busy that I didn't have the time to take part. Would have loved to have played some rainbow islands.

Probably better that you didn't, I got seriously addicted for a while. To the point I started thinking I could get to the top of queues faster by firing rainbows. Games>reality.

If we give it 5 days for each round maybe that might make it a bit better. It should work out at 3/4 rounds, so we could even give each one a week?

Need 2 more people for a nice even 8, if no one else shows any interest though we might just go ahead with a different structure. Be nice to have a proper tournament style though.

These MAME challenges were never really popular. I would have thought that there would be more interest in this sort of thing.

Would you all like to go ahead with the original six applicants?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker who waster my youth in arcades in the 80's :) If there is room I'd like to take part , although if the game chosen for the tournament is'nt from the mid 80's I'm not going to provide much of a challange to anyone :o

Your more than welcome to join in Concerned2, this little competition is open to everyone.

All we need is one more, unless someone can come up with a different Tournament system involving 7 competitors?

1. landsleaving
    2. o1s1n
    3. Retr0gamer
    4. ghostchant
    5. Andrew76
    6. sengoku
    7. Concerned2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Would be interested if ye struggle for an 8th member. Long time lurker, posted once or twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Count me in for sure.

And then there were nine! I'm trying to figure our a way we can make it work with odd numbers, but I'm at a bit of a loss in terms of keeping it fair. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

And then there were nine! I'm trying to figure our a way we can make it work with odd numbers, but I'm at a bit of a loss in terms of keeping it fair. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

1. Specify a closing date.
    2. Pick the games.
    3. Have preliminary rounds to reduce numbers to eight.

4:???
    5: Profit!

Yeah, great idea, cheers :) I like that take-charge attitude!

Ok, let's say round 1 ends on Friday 26th November, the top 8 will make it to the knockout stages, and the remaining players get eliminated.

Each player needs to submit their highest score in game 1 of the tournament... Let's start with a classic... Pac Man.

Using Puck-Man Japan set 1 in MAME, with the following dipswitch settings. 1 Credit rule applies now and throughout the tournament.

Rack Test - Off
    Service Mode - Off
    Cabinet - Upright (though this really doesn't matter)
    Coinage - 1 Coin/1 Credit
    Lives - 3
    Bonus Life - 10,000
    Difficulty - Normal
    Ghost Names - Normal

If anyone who hasn't already expressed an interest wants to play, just put up a high score. Photographic proof will be needed of course, so a MAME screenshot will do nicely.

And the winner still gets a €25 voucher for Game. :)

Entrants so far:
    1. landsleaving
    2. o1s1n
    3. Retr0gamer
    4. ghostchant
    5. Andrew76
    6. sengoku
    7. Concerned2
    8. Martineatworld
    9. Brianon

Sounds good landsleaving. Do you know if those dip switch settings are the defaults by any chance?

Yep, they are :) I'm lazy like that :D

Yep, they are :) I'm lazy like that :D

Hehe excellent. Saves me opening up the cab and connecting a finger board to get at dip settings etc. Cheers.

Here's one just to get us started, I'll upload a new one as I beat this one.

135707.png

sengoku wrote: »
    Here's one just to get us started, I'll upload a new one as I beat this one.

135707.png

Game on !

• Advertisement

135728.png

135789.png

Master of the Universe

Nowhere near brianon's scores but it's a start :) -

pacmanscore.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

God , back in the day I waas more of a space invaders fan than a pckman fan & now I remember why . Bloody hard game but suprisingly addictive . Anyways here is my first contribution to the high score charts ....

tick tock tick tock... c'mon guys, get your scores in.

brianon wrote: »
    tick tock tick tock... c'mon guys, get your scores in.

Hehe I'm hoping the deadline stretches to midnight. :pac:
    Haven't had a chance at all to play it but planning to sit down about 10 or 11 tonight for a few goes.

Master of the Universe

Tomorrow morning I get my new cab. Coincidentally, it's coming with a multiboard which has Pacman on it. So I'll probably be playing that to death all day!

The deadline is meant to be midnight, but most haven't put a score up yet, so we may have to extend it to give everyone the weekend. I'll see what's happened by 12 tonight.

My own score, I should probably have given this more time, but anyway... 9990

• Advertisement

Played a bit of this oon XBL this week. Gave it one last go on MAME there (86,330) :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=136644&stc=1&d=1290813325

I made no improvement on my previous score. I hope it's enough to get through to the next round.

135789.png

If everyone enters I think I've guaranteed myself the wooden spoon for now :D

Gonna leave this run for the weekend at least, so everyone else can post up a score.

And I can try get a better one!

My best effort of the day: 35250.

pacman1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Thanks for the extension, didn't realise when the dealine was! A distinctly mediocre score...

The scores so far :
    1. Brianon 39,640
    2. Andrew76 35,250
    3. Concerned2 32,660
    4. Martineatworld 24,280
    5. o1s1n 22,180
    6. sengoku 18,690
    7. landsleaving 9,990
    8. Retr0gamer 0
    9. ghostchant 0

• Advertisement

ahem....86,330 :) (see post above).

ahem....86,330 :) (see post above).

Aye, different league to the rest of us. Billy Mitchell in disguise? :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Aye, different league to the rest of us. Billy Mitchell in disguise? :pac:

lol. Got 148k on 360 there the othe day. Hoping to get 200k soon. Then go for the 1Mil.

Is that the CE version or original pacman?

Just to get myself on the scoreboard!

• Advertisement

Just about over 30,000. That's enough for tonight anyway!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is that the CE version or original pacman?

The orig :)
    Top 150 now on leaderboards with 175k

Ok, we have 8 now, I think its definitely time to continue on with this.

Final scores - Qualifying:

1. Brianon 86,330
    2. Andrew76 35,250
    3. Concerned2 32,660
    4. Ghostchant 30,560
    5. Martineatworld 24,280
    6. o1s1n 22,180
    7. sengoku 18,690
    8. landsleaving 9,990
    Based on that I'll post in a little while with first knockout round games and matches

Played a bit of this oon XBL this week. Gave it one last go on MAME there (86,330) :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=136644&stc=1&d=1290813325

*cough*

Edited to reflect your brilliance :p

Edited to reflect your brilliance :p

lol

just got 187k on XBL version. Ranked 92 ! :D

Ok, for round 2 this is a knockout tournament. I'll give it a week per round for now, but if anyone wants to be longer let me know.

I used the numbers based on the order of the first round, then let random.org pick the matches based on that, then numbered the games from the suggestion thread and did the same. So it will be as follows:

A) Andrew76 vs. Martineatworld - Frogger

B) O1s1n vs. Ghostchant - Asteroids

C) sengoku vs. landsleaving - Galaxian

D) Brianon vs. Concerned2 - Darius Gaiden

Winner A will play winner B, and C plays D, then the winners of those matches go on to the final. If a third place playoff is wanted, we can do that too.

I'll be back wth dipswitch settings and romset version later, but assume MAME defaults apply for now. The week will officially begin Monday, so that gives you till midnight on Sunday the 12th to post a score.

Good luck! :D

Right, apologies for the massive delay on the romset and dipswitch stuff, had a really busy week.

Here's the info:

Frogger - Just 'Frogger'

Dipswitch: Lives - 3
    Coinage - A 1/1 B 1/1 C 1/1
    Cabinet - Up to you

Asteroids: Asteroids Rev 2

Dipswitch: Service Mode - Off
    Lang: English
    Lives - 3
    Center Mech - 1
    Right Mech - 1
    Coinage - 1 Coin/I Credit

Galaxian: Namco Set 1

Dipswitch: Cabinet - Up to you
    Service Mode - Off
    Coinage - 1 Coin/1 Credit
    Bonus Life - 7000
    Lives - 3
    Unused - Off

Darius Gaiden: Silver Hawk (Ver 2.5O 1994/09/19)

Dipswitch: N/A

Again, all MAME defaults, for ease of use and since I took so long o post this, I'll extend the deadline for this till Friday 17th.

Cheers dude, plan to get some scores up over the wkend.

Master of the Universe

I've been having some trouble getting Asteroids up and running with MAME. It doesn't seem to want to work at all. Will try my best to get it going before this ends!

• Advertisement
Advertisement