Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Score Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I have Mameui64 running version 0.135 and it works for me, but if Ghostchant is having trouble as well, or would like to, the game could just be changed for another one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've been having some trouble getting Asteroids up and running with MAME. It doesn't seem to want to work at all. Will try my best to get it going before this ends!

Yeah yeah, the ole "having tech difficulties" excuse! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hahaha! Feck off :D

I also couldn't get my joystick working with my MAME PC so had to use the keyboard directional buttons for that Pacman challange. I didn't mention it for fear of being accused of the above lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Just tried it there and couldn't get asteroids rev 2 going, was complaining about missing files. Think I need an updated version of it, based on looking through forums. (Or an older version of MAME - using the most recent version MAME OS X for the MAC at the moment, which seems to play anything I throw at it usually)

I also used a keyboard for pacman, don't have a joystick, and figured the cheapo usb pad I normally use wouldn't help much! (wasn't bad for dodonpachi though!)

Master of the Universe

Similar thing to myself, I have several versions of Asteroids in my version of MAME32K but none of them will work. It's saying one file is missing. I tried the most recent MAME version with a fresh rom from a site but it won't either.

Don't have a Vectrex by any chance? I have an Asteroids clone that works great on that... :D

If you still can't get it going after trying a newer version then maybe a game swap might be in order? I'll leave it up to you. If you want to keep trying at Asteroids I'll do my best to get it to work.

Nice work on Dodonpachi if you weren't using a stick. I had my Dreamcast one going for that. It's the only reason I got that high score. It just stopped working with mame recently though. I think the USB ports on my old PC might be knackared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

No Vectrex...yet :D

Will give it another try later or over the weekend, but I'm open to switching the game if you are

Master of the Universe

Cool! Dodonpachi it is then.

>_>

<_<

The Random selection for you two is....

Ghouls N' Ghosts!

You'll probably wanna hassle Retr0 for tips :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Here is the sum of my weekend efforts at Darius Gradius. Its a good game but I'd never even heard of it before so I'd say if Brian has any experience of this game at all he will swat away my effort will little trouble... Still to get the ball rolling my best score so far is 1,451,340.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

This is the best I could get .... 5750

139906.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Concerned2 wrote: »
    Here is the sum of my weekend efforts at Darius Gradius. Its a good game but I'd never even heard of it before so I'd say if Brian has any experience of this game at all he will swat away my effort will little trouble... Still to get the ball rolling my best score so far is 1,451,340.

oh crap. I nefer got a chance. Can I get and extra day ? PLEASE :D ?

Looks like nearly everyone's late, so I'll allow it. How about an extension till Sunday?

My score:6410

brianon wrote: »
    oh crap. I nefer got a chance. Can I get and extra day ? PLEASE :D ?

Not looking good :(
    Running out of time and so far have only managed 1mil

Wow. Worst game ever ? Possibly :)

Anyway, 1.6mil and I'll never touch it again as long as I live.

attachment.php?attachmentid=140066&stc=1&d=1292781015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Argh, in the middle of exams so won't be able to put up a score for a while, will (dis)gracefully bow out if Andrew posts a score!

And I was looking forward to winning it => My pac-man score may have looked average but I was actually doing it blindfolded, using just the one button...

*May be a blatant lie...

• Advertisement

Argh, in the middle of exams so won't be able to put up a score for a while, will (dis)gracefully bow out if Andrew posts a score!

And I was looking forward to winning it => My pac-man score may have looked average but I was actually doing it blindfolded, using just the one button...

*May be a blatant lie...

Clicked on this thread expecting ya to post a score and knock me out by default. :)
    Nah dude I'm ashamed to say I haven't had the time to sit down and play the game either. Everything a bit hectic lately, roll on Friday and some holidays.

@landsleaving: feel free to boot me from the tourney for my tardiness if you want, not sure I'll get a chance before the wkend and wouldn't feel right posting one up until martin has found time too. Damn rl. :(

Master of the Universe

Was meant to sit down and have a go at this myself yesterday but some people dropped in and I couldn't.

Hope to get a score up some night during the week if that's not too late.

Ok, 2 of the matches have been decided on time and two haven't so I'll just go for this -

For Andrew76 vs Martineatworld and O1s1n vs. Ghostchant, just post a score up, and your opponent has 48 hours from then to beat it. If they don't, you win by default, so being first has that advantage

In the other matchups it's:

sengoku vs. landsleaving

Brianon vs. Concerned2

The next round will have matchups drawn at random again, and a new set of games.

Master of the Universe

Alright, had a bash at Ghouls n' Ghosts. Is it just me or is the arcade version much harder than the Megadrive one? I couldn't get passed the bridge of the second level! Might have another go in a bit. Want to get least get the high score.

ghoulsnghosts17300.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wow. Worst game ever ? Possibly :)

Blasphemy!
    Alright, had a bash at Ghouls n' Ghosts. Is it just me or is the arcade version much harder than the Megadrive one? I couldn't get passed the bridge of the second level! Might have another go in a bit. Want to get least get the high score.

Pathetic! :P

Yep arcade version is much harder but if you set the megadrive to hard difficulty it's pretty much arcade perfect.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Blasphemy!

Pathetic! :P.

I know!

It never really was my game though. Especially that god damn bridge bit. In the Megadrive one you can jump back up the slope away from that sand monster. In the arcade one you just keep going down the slope to your doom!

Blasphemy!

Terribly chaotic game.

On another note and just hot off the press so I'll vent here...
    Just spent a few hours on one game of Pac-Man.... 850k... and I got signed out of XBL at some point so my score didn;t register on teh leaderboards. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok had a quick bash at Frogger and here's my woeful score: 4360. The collision detection with the traffic is bull! :pac:

frogger.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Terribly chaotic game.

Ah now it's no worse than smash TV which you love. You just have to play Darius Gaiden like a bullet hell shooter in the later levels. It's definitely posssible to 1 credit it, although I'm not saying it's easy far from it but it is fair.

But I love bullet hell as much as the next shmupper. I've a Jap 360 stocked with all the decent shmups.

Smash TV is a an all time favorite of mine. Its hard but fair. FAIR being the important word there.

Master of the Universe

Ah now it's no worse than smash TV which you love. You just have to play Darius Gaiden like a bullet hell shooter in the later levels. It's definitely posssible to 1 credit it, although I'm not saying it's easy far from it but it is fair.

I find it a lot harder than bullet hell shooters. In shooters you can see the bullets approaching you from the edge of the screen/distance away and then take appropriate action.

In GN'G those little reaper guys just pop up on the screen out of nowhere. Several times I was doing well, only to find I then died because a guy appeared where I was standing from behind the scenery.

Great game though. Has a really high replayability 'just one more go!' factor.

The trick really is to take your time with that game. Other than the second levels collapsing bridges the game is fair and even then you can learn where they are. The spawning badguys usually give you enough time to react.

The biggest bit of advice I can give is just like with Street Fighter only jump when necessary. Stay on the ground. The only exception to this is fighting red armourers where you should jump away from them while firing in their direction. When you jump you are totally commited, vulnerable and can't move until the jump is completed.

Anyway me and brianon were talking about Darius Gaiden :)

O1s1n and Andrew76 win BY DEFAULT!! - the best way to win :D

So for the semi-final it's:

Brianon vs landsleaving - Pang

O1s1n vs Andrew76 - Space Invaders

romsets I'll figure out later today

Master of the Universe

O1s1n vs Andrew76 - Space Invaders

Wooh! This should be interesting.

Actually both me and Andrew have a Vectrex with a Vecflash. It has a brilliant clone of Space Invaders (the one that comes with Protector, it's called YASI. ' Yet Another Space Invaders')

Vectrex face off?!

Vectrex face off?!

Hmmm you seem a bit too eager, me thinks you're a dab hand at YASI! :p

My best of the evening, a measly 3770:

spaceinvadersb.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Not at all, I'm just looking for a reason to spent hours in front of my Veccy :D

Master of the Universe

Had a quick bash before leaba. 05720

5720YASI.jpg

I'd forgotten what a pain in the arse it was to photograph this screen! :D Had to turn the flash off, keep my finger on the button and hope one of them came out.

I'll fire up the Vectrex and give it a go tomorrow so. :)

Ok, quick go on the Vec yielded better results than the cab. Seems a fair bit easier: 12230.

yasi.jpg

Minor improvement, stupidly lost several lives in quick succession at the end. :mad:

yasi2.jpg

Master of the Universe

You may have me beat here. Had a couple more goes today. Cant get anywhere near your top score. My best was 6900.

I'll have a few more goes before admitting defeat!

Hehe no worries. It's quite addictive actually, had a go this evening and thought I was on to a good score. Lost my first life around 9000 and had 5 lives to go. Got a few more points but lost 2 more lives on the same level, invaders dropping too many bombs which my shots were hitting and moving too fast. Then they reached the bottom of the screen before I could clear and BAM automatic game over, 3 remaining lives extinguished (never happened before so didn't know that's what happens). Ended up with 9180. :)
    I usually quit if I lose a life before 4000 or so, and a lot of the time on the harder levels you really need to hit them off center so you're shots don't hit their bombs. Missing an invader altogether can be a killer too as you have to wait for your shot to go off screen before you can fire again.
    Anyway, reckon I'll leave it be now unless you top me, afraid I'll mess up button 4 on the pad. :pac:

/Edit: Hope you're starting to feel better btw. :)

Hmm, I totally let this slide over Christmas but let's get things back on track. Deadline is Friday for this round so a few more days to get scores up, ot to try catch up ;)

Then on to the final

Hmm, I totally let this slide over Christmas but let's get things back on track. Deadline is Friday for this round so a few more days to get scores up, ot to try catch up ;)

Then on to the final

Heh just remembered the tourney. So.... Friday has come and gone and o1s1n didn't post anymore scores. Neither did yourself or brianon for Pang, so does that mean I win the final by default? Yay for me. :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Sorry Andrew, I meant to post saying I gave up and you won. I couldn't get near your score at all.

I also had to stop as I was bashing button 4 on the Veccy pad a bit too much! :D

But yeah, between that and Galaga 88, you seem to be the king of Space Invader type fixed shooters. I bow in front of your greatness :D

I'll um... give myself and Brianon a little more time I guess! I'm sure you want some competition :p

I'll have a pang score up tonight and Brianon can have tomorrow to beat it, that would be fair I think. I'm busy failing at college so I've been mad busy all week procrastinating :pac:

Hehehe nah I just got lucky o1s1n. :P YASI is very addictive, shame the controller too delicate to botch up tho. If I had that MD joypad mod then I'd give it some serious play time.

Ah no worries landsleaving we're all busy no doubt.

I've just added Pang to the list of things I'm bad at, it's quite the list.

Pang score - 57740
    0000.png

Crikey. Forgot about this. Give us tl tomorrow night ?

Crikey. Forgot about this. Give us tl tomorrow night ?

Yeah go for it, I forgot about it myself so it's only fair :p

I might have to try get a better score now though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

where do you sign up for the next high score tournament! Ive been waiting about 2 months for this one to end haha..

92650 first attempt.

144700.png

Just got 96200:

0001.png

Ok looks like its me and Andrew76 in the final, game to be decided tomorrow

If you want it there can also be a 3rd place play off?

Ok, sorry again for the delay, game for the final is: Puzzle Bobble

If there's a third place playoff your game is Rodland.

I'll get up the Mame details and all later, I'm in college right now.

I'll make next Wednesday the deadline for scores for now, but if there's any objection to that let me know

• Advertisement
Advertisement