Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

simple auto backup solution wanted

• 08-11-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

up until now the customer has been using briefcase to backup her files to a flash drive. This is far from ideal because sometimes the flash drive letter can change and most times she doesnt bother backing up. We can rule out windows backup because the os is xp home and the output has to be the same as the source. Its got to be very simple to use and be free. I dont think she is willing to deal with the cloud and she wont upgrade to 7 to avail of mesh which would probably be ideal. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Dropbox?

Syncs files to the cloud and any other PCs on which you install it. It's pretty much idiot proof but does require an internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

One more for Dropbox. Once set up it appears just as any other folder, I find it very useful when working on a few different PCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

i dont know what made me think that dropbox was mac only. Probably because leo lapporte always talks about it on macbreak weekly. So two questions. How much will they let you drop before you pay? And can it back up automatically or will i have to get her into the habit of doing a control A and drag the files to the drop folder every evening?

2gigs free.

If you use it as your working folder it will sync as you go, obviously larger files will sync a little slower depending on your upload speed but it's not really an issue with general office docs. etc.

I'd be lost without it TBH, I'm terrible for updating USB files etc. and often find I'm working on the wrong version. Dropbox has sorted that for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

gotta agree, dropbox, best invention. it saves so much hassle, no more usb sticks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

i dont know what made me think that dropbox was mac only. Probably because leo lapporte always talks about it on macbreak weekly. So two questions. How much will they let you drop before you pay? And can it back up automatically or will i have to get her into the habit of doing a control A and drag the files to the drop folder every evening?

You can create a symbolic link from the Dropbox folder outside the folder and call it My Documents and get her to use that as she normally would. Completely automated and for her purposes, she wont have to do anything different or be even be aware of what's happening. Also Dropbox keeps file revisions for 30 days I think.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Also Dropbox keeps file revisions for 30 days I think.

Wow, I never noticed that. Excellent. Cheers. :D

Advertisement