Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop - Used game faulty

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to check the normal policy with Gamestop, bought a used game GTA for Xbox yesterday. Brought it home and started playing it. Got a good bit in it but then got a Disk Read Error please reboot your console after cleaning blah blah. gobsh1te me didn't save :P

I took out the disk and noticed its quite badly scratched. I am planning on returning it today. Can I get store credit or do I have to accept the same game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They must offer repair/replacement/refund, store credit doesn't factor into it. Most likely, they'll want to replace it with the same game. Why wouldn't you accept the same game anyway? There's no reason not to, unless you've changed your mind about this game. They don't have to replace it with a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

jor el wrote: »
    They must offer repair/replacement/refund, store credit doesn't factor into it. Most likely, they'll want to replace it with the same game. Why wouldn't you accept the same game anyway? There's no reason not to, unless you've changed your mind about this game. They don't have to replace it with a different one.

Cool. I guess I would like the option to change it since I wasn't overly impressed with it but if they give me the same game again I don't mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I can see Gamestop claiming it wasn't scratched when they sold it to you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

they should change it for you , but they say that there garenteed to work .
    they never do , for that reason i spend a few extra euro and buy the game new ,

Cabaal wrote: »
    I can see Gamestop claiming it wasn't scratched when they sold it to you,

I guess they could claim that but after looking at the disk it looks a fairly battered one. Since I only picked it up yesterday it would be bad form to claim I caused the damage.

• Advertisement

antocann wrote: »
    they should change it for you , but they say that there garenteed to work .
    they never do , for that reason i spend a few extra euro and buy the game new ,

Well if all they do is boot up xbox with it in then yes it works but as any technical person knows 90% of a CD maybe readable but when it comes to the point in the game where the 10% is needed you will get problems.

I remember when I scratched my FF7 CD3 :( I could never get past a particular point again...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Xcellor wrote: »
    I guess they could claim that but after looking at the disk it looks a fairly battered one. Since I only picked it up yesterday it would be bad form to claim I caused the damage.

I'd almost bet thats exactly what they will; claim though,

Let us know how you get on sure,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they'll probably claim that they have no liability as it's 2nd hand, and that you should have taken their stupid disc insurance

all of which is total BS

As far as I understand consumer law extends to second hand goods.

There is a reasonable expectation that when you buy a second hand game it should run. The box, manual etc might be a bit tatty but the actual software should run.

Their own site states: "Pre-Owned Guaranteed To Work! "

So based on that I purchased the used game which doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Xcellor wrote: »
    So based on that I purchased the used game which doesn't work.

Yes, the law still stands, though with the reasonable expectation that 2nd hand goods will not be in perfect condition, they should be working though. If it's not working, they should replace it or give you your money back. If the same game is not available, then you should either get a refund or be able to pick another game of same value, whatever suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Just as a work-around if you don't get any satisfaction from Gamestop.

Rent the same game from a rental store, 'save game' to the Xbox HDD and then return the rental game. You can use your own game then to verify ownership each time you play but it'll play from the HDD as opposed to the disc

Joe el is correct; second hand games are supposed to be sold as fully working.

Just to update. Got an exchange and this CD looks in better nick. The guy looked through several before giving me what I guess he believed was the best condition.

Bought another 3 used games so will need to check them out today although they are only small money...

Advertisement