Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilternan ski slope experience?

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just back from Dubai where I tried skiing for the first time in the indoor ski slope they have in the shopping centre there. Real snow -2 in Dubai. Amazing stuff.

Even more amazing was that I LOVED it. And now I really want to try skiing again.

I know Kilternan have a slope but its dentex (artificial).

So how does it differ from real snow? Is it a lot more dangerous falling wise?

As I say I'm a complete beginner have done 1 hour and so far can start and stop myself pretty well. Next step is learning to turn I suppose.

From what I can see on the website for Kilternan they give lessons and stuff so thats the way to go I'd imagine.

But any advice or experiences before I do would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly any ideas on where to buy cheap skiing trousers/jacket as in Kilternan they dont supply these. (they did in Dubai).

Thanks

ps mods if theres a better place for this thread can you move it please. I couldnt find a skiing section. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Kilternan is the only artificial slope I've been on, but I found it fine.
    Knee pads are a must, and keep your fingers and toes close to the body. I've seen more than my fair share of people dislocating/breaking fingers because they fell and stuck there hands in the holes!

Works great though! i got a couple days a week for about 2 months before I went snowboarding...well worth it, and way less forgiving too! So if you can ski well on Kilternan's slope, the snow will be a doddle for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Einstein wrote: »
    Kilternan is the only artificial slope I've been on, but I found it fine.
    Knee pads are a must, and keep your fingers and toes close to the body. I've seen more than my fair share of people dislocating/breaking fingers because they fell and stuck there hands in the holes!

Works great though! i got a couple days a week for about 2 months before I went snowboarding...well worth it, and way less forgiving too! So if you can ski well on Kilternan's slope, the snow will be a doddle for ya :)

cheers for that.

Sounds like a big pair of mittons might be the way forward to stop breakin the fingers.
    And a definate on the knee pads as well.

What do you wear when your out on the slope? Proper skiing outfit or just a mix and match of warm clothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spiderlover

They ask that you wear loose water proof clothing...when I'm up there I wear ski pants and a nice heavy jumper with a hat an gloves.

Keeps me warm enough....it's been a while since I've done lessons now but that would be what I would wear. I'd say you'd nearly be as warm in lessons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

Wear good gloves and padded clothes.

Also, remember to keep your hands in when you fall. It works most of the time, but my wrist is an exception to the rule. ;)

Other than that, it's a reasonably good slope. Different to snow, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭The Bad Pawn

Have a session booked and coming up, can't wait. Broken fingers don;t sound like too much fun though!:o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

It is less forgiving of mistakes than real snow, in both execution and delivery of punishment ;), that said it has thought 1000s of irish people to ski so far so it cant be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

It's a good place to practice before going away, there is another slope in the north near belfast and the ski centre in sandyford offer sometime similar but indoors.

I'll admit a bias, as I'm an instructor in the ski club, but I've no more injuries there then I have when teaching in resort. First aid is always near by and it's rarely a big problem. I haven't seen any injuries so far this season.

That said it is a ski slope you are moving quickly so if you fall on open hands you'll hurt yourself, when boarding try to keep your hands closed (not quite a fist but close to it) so that if you do fall you're fingers will be protected. The same applies to skiing but it's best to keep grip of your poles.

Would agree knee pads are a must and some sort of impact shorts, the club will provide knee and other pads if you don't have them

You'll get a lot more out of your holiday if you go practice here before hand, could even get a few lessons, they're doing more freestyle stuff there these days

Advertisement