Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible 4 year wait, what now?

• 08-11-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I think its would be interesting to hear advice for those who are either waiting for the next campaign( some 4 years off from the sounds of it) or those waiting for the call. Obviously you can't simply put your life on hold for 4 years( 6 years likely by the time you get in at least).

Alot of people like myself have recently graduated etc and are pretty lost as to what to do over the next several years until recruitment picks up again. Any advice on what you guys and girls did job wise before getting into the police (or those that are currently waiting) would be great as I'm sure their are several thousand people in the same boat as myself.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Folks here work at all manner of different jobs and some love their current roles and others hate them ( pretty much what you would expect ) given this is a public forum they may not be comfortable saying too much about themselves though.

I would say to anyone waiting for a new recruitment drive that the one thing they should never do is put their life ' on hold ' , by that I mean don't put off doing a course of study or plans to travel or anything like that . Move on with your life and don't plan it around a Police recruitment
    campaign.
    Even if a campaign was going to happen in 2011 I would still say the same thing because as you probably know the competition for places is very tough and out of the thousands who apply only a lucky few get in - have a plan B.

Nobody knows what the recruitment position is down the track - time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

delancey42 wrote: »
    Folks here work at all manner of different jobs and some love their current roles and others hate them ( pretty much what you would expect ) given this is a public forum they may not be comfortable saying too much about themselves though.

I would say to anyone waiting for a new recruitment drive that the one thing they should never do is put their life ' on hold ' , by that I mean don't put off doing a course of study or plans to travel or anything like that . Move on with your life and don't plan it around a Police recruitment
    campaign.
    Even if a campaign was going to happen in 2011 I would still say the same thing because as you probably know the competition for places is very tough and out of the thousands who apply only a lucky few get in - have a plan B.

Nobody knows what the recruitment position is down the track - time will tell I suppose.

I would love to know where all these four year rumors come from. I'm fairly certain that the PSNI is on course to fill intakes until March..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

shampon wrote: »
    I would love to know where all these four year rumors come from. I'm fairly certain that the PSNI is on course to fill intakes until March..

I think the talk of 4/5 years is relating to the next recruitment campaign rather than intake of student officer's from the current campaign(s).

If intakes occur each month until march it is likely PSNI will meet the 50/50 quota of 30% RC and thus the scheme will end. At that point it has been suggested that recruitment drives will only occur as needed to fill empty seats left by retirement, dismissal or otherwise. In which case, given the large number of appointees to the force over the last number of years, coupled with the current economic climate (not helped by the coalition government's cuts) it is likely that it will be a number of years before we hear of new applications being sought for the PSNI.

Of course, this is all just speculation and given the lack of any official forecast speculate is all we may do. For what its worth, I personally believe that intakes will carry on into the new year and that will be it for a number of years, how many though I wouldn't even guess!

-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

It was quite a few yers of going through the process and a number of campaigns for me before I got in but I basically just kept on working. I didnt like the job I was in and kept looking for other jobs while hoping for the police.

Basically my point of view was that any job was better than the one I was in and I wasn't really bothered about having to hand my notice in when and if I finally got offered a place in Garnerville.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I have just started a new job on the graduate training scheme for a govt organisation. Fantastic opportunity etc well paid. Very lucky to be hired in a time when others are getting laid off.

All I can think about is the PSNI and how I hope I get a offer. Hoping ever more so since I got the positive letter a week ago. My head is not in the new job though I am trying my best and keeping my head down hoping so so so hard I get in the PSNI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement