Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this piece of equipment

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi

This blue box is bolded to the side of a building on Bride Street, here. I'm not too sure what building this is (perhaps the National Archives?). Out of pure nosiness (as I've been looking at it for years and can't figure out what it is) can anyone shed any light?

0_IMAG0377.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I don't know what the box bolted on to the building is for but I seem to remember that building being the Government Publications Office storage facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Strange alright. Looks like a little bird house! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

That building is the National Archives. The Govt Publications place was around the corner on Bishop Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

What the hell is that thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Isn't there a security camera in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Isn't there a security camera in it?

Well I've looked at it from all angles (I accept I'm a tad obsessed) and I can't see any outlet for a camera. streetview gives a good opportunity to look at it close up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I too have wondered about that box for some time now.
    Thanks for posting.
    Shame we can't be put out of our misery.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

If, as one of the posters earlier on mentioned, its the Government Publications Office storage facility, I'd presume its a barometer or some kind of instrument for measuring air pressure/ humidity, which would effect the storage conditions inside the building? Pure speculation but...!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hXci wrote: »
    If, as one of the posters earlier on mentioned, its the Government Publications Office storage facility, I'd presume its a barometer or some kind of instrument for measuring air pressure/ humidity, which would effect the storage conditions inside the building? Pure speculation but...!

I had the very same thought as I walked up to it - well that it was an air monitoring station.

However, I went in and spoke to the porter in the archives building. He walks by it himself every day and never really noticed it. Someone already asked him the question today, so he had an answer ready for me. It seems that its just a marker / artwork to represent the houses that had previously been on the site.

Victor wrote: »
    I had the very same thought as I walked up to it - well that it was an air monitoring station.

However, I went in and spoke to the porter in the archives building. He walks by it himself every day and never really noticed it. Someone already asked him the question today, so he had an answer ready for me. It seems that its just a marker / artwork to represent the houses that had previously been on the site.

Thanks a million Victor. While I drive by it, I'm never around that neck of the woods during working hours. Next challenge is to find out which houses were on that site, and where they of any historical significance.

• Advertisement

According to the National Archives website the building stands on the site of the formers Jacobs factory, "a Dublin institution from the 1850s until it was destroyed by fire in 1987". Perhaps this is what the bird box/weather box/air monitoring box is representing.

Its an unusual marker, however, and not one that I've seen elsewhere in Dublin (either in relation to Easter 1916 or anything else).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Look at this map: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715341,733476,7 and change the settings to Historic 25"

At that point, the factory only occupied half the block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

According to Dublin City Council there was an exhibition done some years ago by an artist who erected some of these on buildings in the area - this is the only one that remains. It meant to resemble the style of the houses that were originally in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

Their replies have been too shady. I've changed my mind. I reckon its some kind of government mind control device. Tinfoil hats when you guys are walking past in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

That there is a modulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Interesting answer Victor, a little less exciting than we'd all expected but makes sense, I'd have guessed it was some sort of weather monitoring station as the others suggested but it appears to be a solid box, don't they need some sort of hole's in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Look at this map: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715341,733476,7 and change the settings to Historic 25"

Loving that map, not seen it before!! Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bad mongo

it was the site of a bird market (canaries, finches etc.) for hundreds of years so I presume it is a little commemorative monument. I vaguely recall a Documentary on the market filmed in the 80s that was repeated recently enough,

edit: a quick google uncovered these clips;

http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?10527-the-old-dublin-bird-market

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnndiypCKeE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

richardjjd wrote: »
    ...the building stands on the site of the formers Jacobs factory...

Originally posted in the Ghost Signs thread:
    Picture_109_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

That is a fantastic resource, can't believe I haven't seen it before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement