Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife and I have PPR each - why do we need just one?

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I have a very quick question that is really bugging me. I bought a house 7 years ago (my PPR). My gfriend (now wife) has an apartment that she bought 4 years ago (her PPR).

We got married earlier this year. Why, when married, is it assumed that you can only have one PPR? Why automatically is it assumed that you need to declare one of the properties as an investment property, pay the second property tax, show any rental income etc.?

Why can a married couple not still have a PPR separately? Does it state anywhere in the revenue website that when a couple gets married that you can only have one PPR?

Thanks in advance,
    Jugovic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you're living as husband and wife, yes it's expected to only have one PPR (for tax purposes).

Otherwise it would be open to abuse, e.g. cork holiday homes

Being married gives you other advantages, such as sharing tax credit, and legal right over joint posessions (and a fallback in case of bankruptcy these days :))

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Well do you live together or seperately? It's assumed because it's what the vast majority of people do.

If you can prove you live seperately then raise the issue with the Government and be ready to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jugovic wrote: »
    HiWhy automatically is it assumed that you need to declare one of the properties as an investment property, pay the second property tax, show any rental income etc.?

thats not whats assumed. NPPR included holiday homes aswell so its nothing to do with investment properties its to do with homes owned by somebody and not lived in by them.

If your wife lives in one house and you live in another then contact your local council as in my eyes your not libel.

How many married couples would this apply to ? Very few and I assume that includes you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

D3PO wrote: »
    thats not whats assumed. NPPR included holiday homes aswell so its nothing to do with investment properties its to do with homes owned by somebody and not lived in by them.

If your wife lives in one house and you live in another then contact your local council as in my eyes your not libel.

How many married couples would this apply to ? Very few and I assume that includes you.

In the case of married couples there has to be a bona fide separation before each can have their own PPR.

Advertisement