Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Ever 10k...

• 08-11-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to Boards and new to running. I have signed up for a 10k on St. Stephen's Day and would really appreciate some advice and support as I am seriously doubting my ability to complete the race.

I started running last May using the Couch25K programme and I managed to complete a 5k at the end of July. I stopped running then, however, and only started back mid-September. Although my fitness hadn't dropped completely, it had dropped significantly.

I am a really slow runner. I did the 5k in 35mins 31 seconds and my average pace is 12min miles. I have to do most of my runs on a treadmill as I don't have time to go outside running during the day. I find the treadmill much easier than running outside (though not as enjoyable), but also find it hard to gauge how well I'm doing as I know that 3 miles on a treadmill for me is much easier than 3 miles outdoors.

I am using a 10k beginner's programme off Lakeshore Striders website. It's a 12 week programme that adds half a mile each week (starting from 2 miles).
    I had a 4 mile run to do yesterday (my longest run so far) and I decided to do it outside. I completed the run in 46mins 32 seconds and was delighted that I hadn't dropped dead!;) It gave me some confidence to continue with training, but I'm still worried about having to add over 2 miles to that in less than 7 weeks.

I know that I will do the race no matter what, even if it means having to walk some of the way. I also know, though, that if I have to walk for any amount of time during the race that it will ruin it for me and I won't feel the same sense of achievement crossing the finish line. Of course, if I'm honest, I'm also worried that I will come in last...

Is anyone else out there in the same boat as me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hey, welcome to the logs :)

Let me reassure you that you will be fine. You'll build the mileage nicely in time for the race, and if you're doing 4 miles now you'll have no problems with the distance on the day. You'll be far from the only person doing 11-12 minute miles on the day too, so don't worry about that either.

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Thanks Rainbow Kirby. I was having many doubts today as my legs were really aching from yesterday's exertion. This hasn't really happened since I started running. Tomorrow morning's 3 miler should sort those pains out though :D and your encouraging words should help with the motivation :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

If it's Athenry you are aiming for then if you look at last years results you'll see that there were people finishing at anything up to 1 hr 38. If you are running 12 min miles you would finish in 1.15 so you'll be far from last. The adrenaline on the day will get you over the extra distance and probably a bit faster than your norm! I think I had only gone up to 4 miles before my first 10k and I finished it in 1.08 or thereabouts. You'll be fine. It's a great race :)

Hi Littlebug,

Yes, it's Athenry and I'm hoping all those fields are nice and flat :D. I 'm nervous as it's my first proper race. The 5k I did last July was over in London and is a casual race that's run every Saturday morning so I didn't care who saw me coming over the line all red-faced and panting! Athenry is a different story as I know others who are running the race and I've told a few friends that I'm doing it (a big step for me as I still don't fully believe myself that I can actually run...). Hearing that you did a 10k having run just 4 miles has just given me a huge boost. Thanks a million.

Hi Littlebug,

Yes, it's Athenry and I'm hoping all those fields are nice and flat :D.

They lie low you know, those fields :pac:. It's not bad at all. There's nothing you could really call a hill and I'm dreadful at hills so that coming from me means something.
    I'm confined to the treadmill a lot too and I know there's no choice sometimes but I would say to try to get as many outside runs as you can. Even if it's just for your longest run every week you'll be far better prepared for whatever elements are thrown at us on the day.

See you there:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Marysam
    I used to worry about coming last too... but to be honest you get over that pretty quickly once you do your first race and realise that its taking part that counts. Go out take it at your own pace and enjoy. you will love it. And you will have no probs with the distance either I think i decided to do a 10k last April with only 3 weeks to go and the most i had run was 4 miles at that point. So you are well on your way. Best of luck

Littlebug - Thanks, see you in Athenry :).

Nules - Well done for getting up from 4 miles in 3 weeks. It's very encouraging to know that it can be done. Thanks.

I reluctantly got out of bed this morning at 6.30 to do a 3 miler. My legs were still aching from Sunday's run and, having some strange bruising on my calves yesterday from it (my right calf mainly), I definitely would have used that as an excuse not to do it if I hadn't posted on Boards yesterday (I couldn't face posting that I hadn't bothered to get up :D).

I did the run on a treadmill and it really was a drag after running outside the other day. I ran at 7.5km (which is 8min/km) and really struggled to do the 12 400m laps. I upped the pace slightly to 8km on the last lap for a bit of a boost at the end but half way through it my left knee stung and I walked the last minute to finish the 12 laps. I had a problem with this knee earlier in the summer so I know it's nothing serious. It's been fine since this morning.

I'm definitely still recovering from my 4 miler :( and will hopefully have come to by Sunday for that extra half a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

You are doing well Mary. I recently completed Couch to 5K but I think I will be lucky to break 40 minutes in the Jingle Bells 5K in December. I think I might possibly do a few more 5Ks and then maybe think about a 5 mile or 10K or something. I'll see how it goes with this first race anyway!

Hi grandmaster,

I did the 5k in July having run no more than 2 miles beforehand. I seriously doubted my ability to complete the course without walking as I had found the 2miler very difficult. You are very lucky to have already completed the programme and to still have a few weeks to train. I was praying that I'd complete the course in under 45 mins and couldn't get over it when I did it in 35mins 31 seconds. If I can do it, anyone can :). Best of luck with it and I bet you'll be aiming for that 10k in the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I did the C25k and too and finished in AUg. Did 5K in Sept and it took 37 mins...so you are faster than me! Not to be put off tho I signed u for 10K in Dec and then..half marathon in April! I ran 8 miles at weekend 1 1/2 hrs), after getting stuck at 35/40 mins runs for a few weeks after the 5K.
    You will be fine by 26th Dec..its about 6/7 weeks away...so if you went up even 1k per week on long run you will be well able for it.

Grandmaster, well done on finishing c25k! DOnt worry about time, I am sure there wil be loads of walkers and on the day you will just be so delighted to have done it.

• Advertisement

That's so impressive Maria. If you're at 8 miles already, your 10k will be a breeze. You have set me thinking about goals beyond my own 10k now... I'd better get through that one first though!

Signed up for half before 10K...persuasion from others.
    Is definatly good to have something to ai towards I think..gets you out there on those mornings when you just dont want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hi Mary, welcome to the logs and I hope they motivate you. I find them great and they help me to get my ass out the door when the couch is calling!
    I started with the C25K too and went on from there. Good luck with Athenry & training; it'll be a great way to work off the turkey!

I can't believe that my last run was on the 9th of November :eek:. My knee problem just got worse over the week and I could really feel it when I was walking. Because I was over-compensating with the other knee that one then began to give me problems :(.

I kept hoping every day that I would feel some improvement and by Friday my head was about to explode. My husband encouraged me to go to the gym that evening as I had been humming and hawing about it all day as my knee didn't feel too bad (he knew he was the one in the line of fire if my head did actually explode ;)). As I was dressing to head out, I felt a stabbing pain in my knee again and knew that I wouldn't be able to run on it. I decided to leave it an try my 4.5 miler on Sunday. I really didn't want to miss that.

So, on Sunday I headed out with my husband who was going to run with me for the first mile and then head off on his own. Within seconds, however, I knew that I wouldn't be able to do it. I was really p***ed off :mad: and had to head home. All I could think of was that I was losing fitness by the second and that I would be back to square one by the time I sorted my knee out...

I had an appointment with my chiropractor yesterday and it's the same problem I had last July. Luckily it's something that's easy to fix and I have two more appointments this week. He has recommended that I don't run until after my next appointment (tomorrow) but I definitely feel an improvement already today,which is encouraging :). I will be almost two weeks behind on my programme by the time I get back to it, but hopefully I will catch up somehow...

Mary, That is hard to hear but at least you are noticing some improvement already and you know the injury having had it before.
    Can you do some other training, besides running for the next week or so?
    26th Dec still good few weeks away so try not to get too down. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I can't believe that my last run was on the 9th of November :eek:. My knee problem just got worse over the week and I could really feel it when I was walking. Because I was over-compensating with the other knee that one then began to give me problems :(.

I kept hoping every day that I would feel some improvement and by Friday my head was about to explode. My husband encouraged me to go to the gym that evening as I had been humming and hawing about it all day as my knee didn't feel too bad (he knew he was the one in the line of fire if my head did actually explode ;)). As I was dressing to head out, I felt a stabbing pain in my knee again and knew that I wouldn't be able to run on it. I decided to leave it an try my 4.5 miler on Sunday. I really didn't want to miss that.

So, on Sunday I headed out with my husband who was going to run with me for the first mile and then head off on his own. Within seconds, however, I knew that I wouldn't be able to do it. I was really p***ed off :mad: and had to head home. All I could think of was that I was losing fitness by the second and that I would be back to square one by the time I sorted my knee out...

I had an appointment with my chiropractor yesterday and it's the same problem I had last July. Luckily it's something that's easy to fix and I have two more appointments this week. He has recommended that I don't run until after my next appointment (tomorrow) but I definitely feel an improvement already today,which is encouraging :). I will be almost two weeks behind on my programme by the time I get back to it, but hopefully I will catch up somehow...

Would you consider swimming? As a non weight bearing sport you can keep your fitness up through doing this without making the injury worse. I am actually out injured myself with a knee problem so i feel your pain (metaphorically of course). I am trying to do as much as i can to keep the fitness levels up so that i am not taking steps backward but rather fitness is the same as i got injured. Might be an option for you to consider

Best of luck with a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

Mary, would you not go to a chartered physiotherapist instead of a chiropractor?

Chiropractors are not regulated,( much like nutritionists~) and can do more harm than good!

Maria74, Ecoli, Betsysquared, thanks for the advice. Thankfully I'm back running and have my final appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow which should eliminate those last few niggles.

I went for a short run on the treadmill last Friday morning to test the waters. I definitely felt better but knew that the only way to really know was to go for a run. I had planned a 2 miler and maybe 2.5 if I felt up to it. I ran a little slower (7 on treadmill) than usual and my left knee felt perfect. I felt slight twinges from time to time in my right knee though but nothing painful. I ended up doing 3 miles and was delighted with myself.

I went back to my chiropractor on Saturday and decided to chance my long run on Sunday. I missed out on a 4.5 miler last week and was due to do a 5 miler this Sunday just gone (21st November). I decided to aim for 4.5 though and would have been happy with 4. I ran my usual outdoor route (up a bog road). The morning was lovely and fresh and not as cold as I had anticipated. I felt quite stiff to begin with and my lungs took the first mile to open up properly. At about 1 1/2 miles I turned right off the main bog road and took in a loop around a lake to add a mile to my run, which would give me a choice on the way home of stopping at 4 miles or continuing on for 4.5. Once I had done the loop, and came back onto the bog road, I felt great and decided to take a right and to continue on up the bog road (instead of turning left back toward home). I continued to the end of the road before turning back for home. I felt great and had the wind at my back which was a great boost. For the first time in my life I actually felt like I was running and not plodding along. Once I got to the bottom of the road, where I had parked my car, I thought that maybe I had completed 4.8 miles at most. I was delighted to discover that I had actually done 5.15 miles and in 1 hour and 50 seconds, which left me a time of 59 mins for my 5 miler. I was over the moon. I'm feeling a bit stiff today, but not half as bad as I was after my last long run (4 miles). I'm hoping to do 3 miles on the treadmill tomorrow morning, even though, I have to say, I dread going back to the treadmill now after such an enjoyable run outdoors.

Fair play Marysamsonite. Glad to hear you're back out. 6.2 will be no problem to you in december.

Marysamsonite, Thats great news, well done. Sometimes I find a rest (even if it is forced due to injury) can make the runs after much better..not sure if its physical or psychological but there is nothing better than the feeling after a good run (especially today with all the news!!) :D

• Advertisement

I went a bit off track since I last posted almost 2 weeks ago... I was due to go for a 3 mile run on Tuesday (23/11) but got a vomiting bug and couldn't eat very much for the week and felt completely zonked. My husband and I and the kids went to London on the Thursday (25/11) and I revisited my first ever 5k race on Saturday morning (it's a weekly event). It started at 9am and, although it was freezing cold and snowing, it felt great not to be sick with nerves beforehand. I started off very slowly at the very back of the pack (my biggest fear is running out of fuel early on) and it felt great to be able to pick people off along the way. I felt comfortable throughout the race and put in a good sprint at the end (something I was completely incapable of doing last July as I was spent after 4k). I was delighted to finish and felt I had definitely improved on my time. My own time on my phone (endomondo app) showed 31:49 and I was over the moon as my time last July was 35:31. I left on a high and felt soooo disappointed :( later on in the day when I got an email with my official time of 34:22. I know it was an improvement but I felt I should have done much better...

On Sunday, to console myself ;), I went out and bought a new pair of running shoes. I had a gait analysis done and ended up getting a pair of Brooks Ghost 3. I have felt for the past few months that my old (and they were very old) Ascis Kayanos were forcing me down on my heels when running and now with the Brooks I feel like I've been given a new pair of feet.

We came home from London on Monday and I went for a 3 mile run on the treadmill on Wednesday (1/12). I couldn't believe the difference I felt with the new shoes. Usually when I started off running my legs felt so heavy. I thought that was just my legs and never dreamed it could be my runners. I felt so much lighter running and ran at 8 which is fast for me. I enjoyed the 3 miles (well, most of it anyway :)).

I went to the gym on Friday (3/12) with the intention of doing 4 miles but once I hit the mile and a half I felt a sharp pull on the inside of my right leg, up from my ankle. It wasn't severe but I was very wary of it as I really didn't want anything to jeopardize my long run on Sunday. I decided to err on the side of caution and reluctantly got off the treadmill. I did some weights to ease my frustration and I didn't feel any pain in my leg after that which was a good sign.

I was apprehensive going out for my long run today (5/12) as the roads were still pretty icy but there was no way I was going to do 5.5 miles on a treadmill. My husband did the first mile with me as a warm-up for his 8-miler and my legs usually feel like lead starting off. I always feel like I'm shuffling. Today, though, I couldn't believe how light I felt on my feet right from the beginning with the new shoes (I know I keep going on about them, but they're GREAT!! (last time I promise;))). I ran my usual long-run route (up a mildly undulating bog road that's just over 2 miles long and off a side road that goes around a lake (another mile)) but decided to take in another side road today that is basically a very steep hill at the end of the bog road. Just over two miles into my run I felt the sharp pain over my ankle again but decided to run through it. I'm guessing it's just my legs getting used to less cushioning in my new shoes. The pain went (or I just forgot about it...) after about 10 minutes and I took in the steep hill. I stopped at the top of the hill and considered running to the end of the road (which is flat) but, as my ankle had started giving me trouble again, I decided against it. I turned back down the hill and hoped that it had given me the extra mileage to make up my 5.5. I met my husband again for the last half mile for his cool down and, to my delight and amazement, I could actually hold a conversation. This is the first time EVER while running (let alone at the end of a run) that I could utter more than one word without gasping. At the bottom of the road I checked my phone and had clocked 5.83 miles in 1 hour and 10 mins. I couldn't believe it. My time wasn't great but I was just so happy to be so near that 10k mark and to feel pretty good. This really helped to ease my nerves about Athenry (three weeks today). I hope to do 6 miles next week and then 5 miles the week after to bring me up to race day. Ideally I would love to finish in under 1 hour and 15 mins... but maybe I'm getting a bit too ambitious now. Here's hoping...

My own time on my phone (endomondo app) showed 31:49 and I was over the moon as my time last July was 35:31. I left on a high and felt soooo disappointed :( later on in the day when I got an email with my official time of 34:22. I know it was an improvement but I felt I should have done much better...

Was it chip timed? If not then the difference is likely because you started at the back. I'd stick with the 31.49 :cool: Well done.

Mary, Thats great..well dont on 5K. Wish I could get 34 mins (never mind 31!!) Well done
    And delighted your new shoes are making such a difference..run like the wind!!!!!!!!;)

This was a bad running week from start to finish:(. I was feeling run-down at the beginning of the week and used it as an excuse not to do a run. I finally got up and out to the gym on Thursday morning and was really unmotivated going on the treadmill. I got to just over a mile when I felt the sharp pain in my ankle that started last week. It was so depressing. I did some weights but even that didn't make me feel any better. What's really annoying is that the pain in my ankle is only present when running.

I felt some pain in my left knee (on the other side of the knee now...) on Friday and Saturday while walking around. I put this down to heavy boots that I was wearing and I really hoped that it wouldn't interfere with my long run today. I did my usual route up the bog road and started off fine but, within minutes, I felt a twinge in my right ankle, then in my left knee and then, to top it all off, in my right knee. The pain wasn't too bad and, as I otherwise felt energetic, I decided to continue with my run. The pain gradually got worse as I ran but I knew that if I gave up I would feel really p***ed off and so continued. I met my husband (who was out doing 8 miles) just before coming to the steep hill (which adds on the extra mile to give me 6 miles) and he suggested I call it a day. I knew though that the physical pain was nothing compared to how badly I'd feel if I went home and hadn't completed the planned 6 miles :rolleyes:. I found the hill ok and was delighted not to be huffing and puffing. I was running so slowly prior to that that I had loads of energy for the hill. I really felt like I was running so slowly today that I could have walked it quicker. The pain in my knees coming back down the hill was pretty bad but I was determined :mad: and pushed through it. I met up with my husband for the last mile and a half (it was his cool down, having finished his 8 miles) and I was barely moving I was running so slowly. All I wanted was to finish though. Once I got to the bottom of the road I stopped and felt like my knees were made of two blocks of wood. I checked my phone and was disgusted that the satellite signal had failed and so I didn't have an accurate distance (it only picked up on 4.84 miles). My time was 1 hour and 14 mins though and I knew that I had done over 6 miles and so I was delighted to come in in under 1 hour and 15 mins on my worst day yet. All I could think though was that I hope my knees are ok for Athenry. I will definitely have to go to my chiropractor this week to sort this out. I have a feeling that it's my legs getting used to my new shoes and their lack of cushioning. I hope so anyway. Of course, the fact that I haven't done any proper runs midweek in the past two weeks can't have helped either. Unfortunately, I probably wont be able to do any this week either until my knees are back to normal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hope the chiropractor sorts the knee problem out for you. On a positive note though, nice running on the hills and take heart with that improvment in fitness :)

I haven't posted in a week and a half because I haven't run in a week and a half... What great preparation for my first ever 10k race in 4 days time :rolleyes:. I have been to my chiropractor a number of times since my last long run on Sunday the 12th. The problem with my knees and ankle are not serious and they have definitely improved on each visit but I really didn't feel well enough to do any kind of run until last Sunday. Because of the icy weather, I had to make do with the treadmill and so settled on doing a 3-miler (maybe a 4 if I could stick it) instead of the 5-miler I was due to do that day. I was dreading it before I even hopped on, as I knew that the treadmill would not be very kind to my knees (so, yes, subconciously I was going on with the idea that it wouldn't work out). I started on 7.5 instead of my usual 8 and hated every minute of it as I felt I'd lost so much fitness in the time I've been out with my injuries. I kept going, however, and after 10 mins I felt ok. At just over a mile and a half though, the pain in my ankle kicked in again and I didn't need much more of an excuse to stop. I felt crap and really depressed about my prospects of being able to get through a 10k in a week's time.

I saw my chiropractor again on Monday and he did some more work on my knees and ankle. He told me to try to do a run outside before my next appointment. I decided to go to the local football pitch as this would mean a run outside but would avoid any icy surface. I left the house at 8.30 yesterday morning in my car and, as I was going down the hill at the bottom of the road from my house, my car lost traction and slowly glided right out on to the main road... :eek: I narrowly missed a van that was driving by and so I left the car at the bottom of the road and walked home. As I was already wrapped-up for an outdoor run I thought about running up and down my back garden just to test the knees. At that stage I didn't care how crazy it would look to the neighbours, I just needed a run. I gave it a try but the grass was too long and covered in snow, so I was just risking further injury. Needless to say, my head is currently about to explode. I don't know if Athenry is even going ahead (a decision is to be made on the morning of the race at 8.30am) and, if it is, am I going to be able to manage it. I had been slowly gaining confidence with my long runs, but now I have no idea of how much fitness I have lost. I also feel that I have been eating a lot more junk since my last run. So, all in all, not in a very good space at the moment :(.

Advertisement