Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

wii or kinect.

• 08-11-2010 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Ok so I own an xbox 360 and am interested in buying the kinect as I like the idea of the interactive games etc.
    Have played the wii and really enjoyed it.

So the question is should I buy a Wii or a Kinect?

Pros and Cons please guys.

I have put this on both the xbox section and nintendo section to get both sides on this.

Try to be as unbiased on this as possible please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

coffeenuts wrote: »
    Ok so I own an xbox 360 and am interested in buying the kinect as I like the idea of the interactive games etc.
    Have played the wii and really enjoyed it.

So the question is should I buy a Wii or a Kinect?

Pros and Cons please guys.

I have put this on both the xbox section and nintendo section to get both sides on this.

Try to be as unbiased on this as possible please.

Thanks.

The Kinect is only in it's earlier days, so it has limited amount of "fun" games available. If you want to purchase something immediately and have a large portfolio of games to choose from, then buy a Wii. However, over the next year or so, Kinect will be implemented into a lot of new games. It's hard to say what it's future holds and how it'll effect future 360 games.

My advice, if you liked the Wii, get one. Unless you see a game currently out or due for release with the Kinect in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

The Wii sales are slowing down now and there is no big title on the horizon. It does have a strong back catalogue.

Kinect is new, MS won't let it die because of all the money invested in it and you already have an xbox so the add on won't be as expensive. Just make sure you have the space.

I'd go with the Kinect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MisterMom

I have a Wii and an XBox. The whole family really enjoys the Wii, a great range of games, something to suit everyone.
    But I have to say I am soooooo looking forward to Kinect.
    Ok, there might not be a huge selection of Kinect games at the start but Kinect is going to be absolutely huge. Give it 6 months and I think there'll be no competition between the two anymore, Kinect is definitely a level about Wii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm sort of in the same dilemma.

I have a 360, I had a wii, but I let it go. But now looking back there's a few games I want to play on it that I've missed out on (Galaxy 2, NSMB among others).

I think Kinect would be fun, and the novelty of it is tempting, but on the other hand I'm not sure how much confidence I have that it'll be more than a short-lived curiosity. Publishers don't seem to be really embracing it unless MS is paying them, as with the TGS Japanese games they announced. Where publishers are naturally supporting it, it seems to be with a lot of dance and fitness games. I think there's going to be a huge gap in new game releases for Kinect in the first half of next year, there seems to be nothing coming for it asides from Child of Eden.

On the other hand we have Wii, which has a back catalogue that I know would keep me occupied for a while, and it has more than just motion games, it has a varied library of casual and more hardcore stuff. But it seems to be running out of steam. There's Zelda next year and Kirby, but after that is Nintendo switching focus to 3DS? I don't know, I wish 3DS was coming out this Xmas. Would solve a lot of my problems, I would certainly just get it if it were available.

PS - I picked up playstation move, and it was definitely fun and impressive in its own way, but we're already in its post-launch drought phase. There's really nothing interesting coming up until next year with Killzone 3 and the littlebigplanet 2 support. The difference with it was that it was a cheap pickup, so I don't mind so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I think kinect has a better future. Wii for me just never took off. The most expensive set of weighing scales I ever bought. That and the endless supply of batteries I need to keep it all going. (8 including the balance board.)

kinect means you dont need another console. It has some good looking games and really good potential. voice and motion control over the xbox.

My gut feeling says kinect is going to come out smiling as it is totally different to both ps and wii in that you need no controller.

Even young kids (4 to 6) struggle with the controller on wii. they dont have the motor control to point at the screen, find pressing buttons hard and the actions for bowling is too complex even when explained 30 times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

The Kinect has fantastic potential. Rev 1 is not great (software) but hardware is pretty innovative and once the software catches up with the hardware it will be a great experience. I tried the boxing and nearly died laughing, it was such a laugh. For certain games like boxing, dancing and the like you cannot beat the Kinect as those experiences simply don't need a controller. Other titles do though such as a gun game (what are they like on Wii) probably do need a controller of some sort even it its just for effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd go for a Wii tbh, you've a nice catalogue of games to try straightaway.

Advertisement