Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FALLEN BIKE!!!!

• 08-11-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,woke this morning to find my bike had been blown over(Fazer):(. Only lifted her back up and other than some damage to the rear seat panel,all else seemed ok,oh,and a pool of petrol.Anything I should or check for before I try start her????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't know anything about motorbikes, but if damage has been done, and there is petrol leaking, I'd be wary about starting it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

the_syco wrote: »
    I don't know anything about motorbikes, but if damage has been done, and there is petrol leaking, I'd be wary about starting it up.

It is ok to start it i would just push the bike away from the puddel of petrol bike might be a bit smokey for a bit if petrol and oil mixed but should be ok ive had bikes fall over in the past and they were all ok one bike had no side stand so it fell over a few times but started evry time no probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's an overflow on the carburetor that will cause fuel to leak out when the biks is tipped more than about 45 degrees. This is fairly standard on the vast majority of motorcycles.

Wipe off any excess petrol on the bike and leave it standing over a basin/jug for about 30 minutes. If there's any petrol in the basin, you have a problem. Otherwise you're OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Also begs another question. Is it better leave a bike on the side stand in windy conditions?? I had mine on centre stand in what I thought was a very sheltered site!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I think it would take more wind to blow a bike over on a side stand then a center stand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd leave it on the side stand when it's windy TBH.

It'll be fine to start up, it's normal for a carbed bike to lean petrol when on it's side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Cheers for replies guys,lesson learned!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think it would take more wind to blow a bike over on a side stand then a center stand.

Ive had a Honda Deauville blow over while on its side stand! Centre stand all the way for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KamiKazi wrote: »
    It'll be fine to start up, it's normal for a carbed bike to lean petrol when on it's side.
    Hrm. Learn something new everyday :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

the_syco wrote: »
    Hrm. Learn something new everyday :D

I'm sure a carbed car would leak petrol too if you leaned it on it's side :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

Leave it on the side stand in windy conditions, with the bike in gear and an elastic band around the front brake lever.

Advertisement