Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switch between 2G & 3G HTC Desire on Meteor Question

• 08-11-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have just got a HTC Desire on Meteor and I am trying to turn off 3G and switch back to the Edge Network. I have downloaded the 2G 3G app from the marketplace which links to Mobile Network Settings but I can't see a way to turn off 3G from there?

The reason I want to do this is because I am on the border of 3G and Edge in work and sometimes I miss calls as my phone is flicking between the two connections. I would prefer to just have 3G off in work to ensure I don't miss any calls.

Internet speeds are of no relevance just purely want to make sure I don't miss any calls. Had the exact same issue with the iPhone but was able to use SBSettings to overcome this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

here what you do:

Settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile Networks - Network Mode and select GSM/WCDMA Auto.

This will have it on auto, if you are in 3G area you get 3G and if you are in 2G area, it will kick itself to 2G then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Thanks for the reply... Am I to to take it that GSM is 2g and the other option is 3g?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

no, the WCDMA is 3G only
    and the other option is for bothe 2G and 3G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes.

GSM is 2g only

WCDMA is 3g only

GSM/WCGMA switches between the 2 depending on signal strenght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Just out of interest,

I have my network set to GSM/WCDMA Auto, but I use the Mobile Internet widget to toggle 3G on/off for using data. Does this setting affect whether I'm connecting to 2G/3G networks for calls?

As in, if I have the toggle off might I still be connected to a 3G mast for taking calls (once one's in range of course). Also, is it possible to see which type you're currently connected to?

I'm in a similar situation where my desk is strategically located so that if I try to go on mobile internet the phone keeps jumping back and forth between HSDPA and Edge and doesn't actually send/receive any data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

M450 wrote: »
    Just out of interest,

I have my network set to GSM/WCDMA Auto, but I use the Mobile Internet widget to toggle 3G on/off for using data. Does this setting affect whether I'm connecting to 2G/3G networks for calls?

As in, if I have the toggle off might I still be connected to a 3G mast for taking calls (once one's in range of course). Also, is it possible to see which type you're currently connected to?

I'm in a similar situation where my desk is strategically located so that if I try to go on mobile internet the phone keeps jumping back and forth between HSDPA and Edge and doesn't actually send/receive any data.

Hi was hoping someone with more knowledge would answer this for you but for me switching off the mobile internet just turns off my internet connection it doesn't effect my 3G / 2G selection.

That's why I downloaded the 2G 3G toggle from the market place which basically just directs me to the carrier settings where I can switch between GSM and WCDMA, as explained to me above.

In terms of knowing which you are connected to, if you have the mobile internet switched on you see either an E on your status bar (edge) or 3G or H which indicate what you are connected to. If you have mobile internet switched off this status bar notification disappears and I don't know how to check which I'm connected to if I am on the GSM/WCDMA auto setting. I'm sure there's a way but being a relative android newbie I don't know it. Sorry

Advertisement