Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linksback to sites from fb, blog,twit etc..

Options
  • 08-11-2010 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Ok I've spent the weekend looking at keywords and incorparating those into fb, twitter, utube, flickr, linkedin, picasa, hi5, myspace, blogger, skype, ebay, aim, win live, gmail buzz, yahoo pulse, imageshack and thats it for now, anybody . with any suggestions feel free to add.....
    still have to do a wordpress one, a etc...

but on the blog side I will be using tumblr, now is it ok to just put keywords onto one page with a link to my site and then do a page with original content.....
    is this what is known as keyword stuffing, and if so will website be disqualified from google,

Im a complete and utter noob when it comes to this so any advice is welcome
    and just from reading here ive just learned that keyword searches are obsolete:rolleyes: according to matt cutts.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

yeahme wrote: »
    Ok I've spent the weekend looking at keywords and incorparating those into fb, twitter, utube, flickr, linkedin, picasa, hi5, myspace, blogger, skype, ebay, aim, win live, gmail buzz, yahoo pulse, imageshack and thats it for now, anybody . with any suggestions feel free to add.....

but on the blog side I will be using tumblr, now is it ok to just put keywords onto one page with a link to my site and then do a page with original content.....
    is this what is known as keyword stuffing, and if so will website be disqualified from google,

Im a complete and utter noob when it comes to this so any advice is welcome
    and just from reading here ive just learned that keyword searches are obsolete:rolleyes: according to matt cutts.:rolleyes:

If I understand you correctly, I think you've wasted your weekend - are you hoping to increase your ranking using links from the above sites to yours?

I'd imagine most, if not all, of the sites wrap any external links in a rel="nofollow" - which tells Google not to assign any ranking value to that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

yeah after reading the seo thread I see i wasted my weekend
    well....i am a net noobie
    at least they are up and will be filled with content anyway at some stage
    a friend of mine paid some guys to some kind of seo with links and keywords, He hasnt told me yet how it got on but maybe this is the way to go....
    let companies who know how to do it.... well do it,
    but when it comes to me...
    I was in the building trade and if there is one thing worse than hell its somebody that you're doing a job for thinking they know what they are talking about,
    I think Im now at this stage where i think i know a bit about seo, and keywords, and this makes me dangerous without knowing it. kind of like the guy in my example.
    ahhh im just venting............................

and yes i was hoping to increase ranking......
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

cormee wrote: »
    If I understand you correctly, I think you've wasted your weekend
    I wouldn't quite say 'wasted' (well, depending on what exactly was done). If the time was spent creating the profiles, incorporating relevant keywords where appropriate, then it's something that should prove beneficial in the long run (at least in the cases where the platform is used effectively in the future). If it was done with the sole aim of increasing SERPs, then as cormee said, you pretty much wasted your weekend as that time could have been far better spent on other activities.

Even if the links don't pass link juice (always a hot topic for debate just how nofollow links are treated, especially in relation to social media, and might help rankings in one way or another), they still come with the potential for benefits ranging from direct referral traffic to secondary links and citations. The bottom line is trying to gain targeted traffic, this can be achieved through social media marketing just as much as it can through SEO/organic search.

However, the benefits of something like a Facebook business page comes from how it is used, not from simply setting it up. The entire reason for social media is to allow you to increase the social interaction with your customers and build (improved) relationships, not simply to game a few backlinks. Look at companies who have effective social media campaigns (Blacknight is a good Irish example), how they use it (provide customers with relevant information, use it to increase the quality of their customer service, offer special offers and deals, keep customers up to date with news, etc.) and how you might be able to apply this in your own situation.
    As for the question on just creating a list of keywords and then linking to your site... I think you already know the answer there. Don't do it. Activities like that will range in consequence from the link(s) being devalued so you get no benefit to your entire site getting removed from the search engines. Spend your time on creating good content that will benefit your users, not on spammy tricks to try and game the system.

I meant wasted in the sense that his work won't have fulfilled his original aim - increasing SERP directly. But yep, as you said it will raise awareness and probably lead to click-throughs, so from that point of view it wasn't a waste of time.

Well I do have content revelant to the site on each of those with appropiate links, and in the process of up loading more as time goes by.... so maybe not wasted as such,
    on the blog comment with keywords, I did see i think it was blackhat or whitehat forum that using tricks likr that will end up with google penalizing your website,
    however what if I incoporate these words into structured original text I should have no problem yes? no?
    Im off to take a look at blacknight now thanks...

• Advertisement

however what if I incoporate these words into structured original text I should have no problem yes? no?
    That's absolutely fine and should provide good benefits for both you and your target market, above and beyond just the backlink.

You might find this blog post on social media for a hosting provider by Blacknight interesting. It pretty much spells out the companies view of it and how they have incorporated it into their marketing.

thanks for that paul and blackcnight for the article thru that i found another blog thru the comments which led me to tips for businesses on FB, on then on to drumroll......facebook, well a page on facebook where i can customise tabs, and also change your page around like putting a big photo 600x200 instead of the regular one,
    It makes the page standout a bit more and yeah its nice....
    well i think neway.
    Now onto FBML to customise further.......I have a feeling this is going to be fun...
    the only code i know is the di vinci code,
    but I'll get there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Practice, learn, experiment, improve. Patience. Repeat.

A good idea might be to spend more time online, engage in a wider community. What is your website offering - where is the demand for it coming from? Maybe these questions, when answered, may get you some better help?

putting a big photo 600x200 instead of the regular one,
    It makes the page standout a bit more and yeah its nice....
    well i think neway.
    Now onto FBML to customise further.......I have a feeling this is going to be fun...
    Take care there, that's slightly outdated information. FB have rolled out plenty of recent updates for business pages and will continue to do so in the future.

Profile picture limits changed to 180 x 540 (not 100% sure on that size, but I know it changed) and while you can still add custom tabs with FBML (or using 'static FBML'), they're changing the preference from FBML to iFrames shortly (e.g. no new FBML aps will be allowed, although they do say they'll continue to support existing ones). Worth keeping an eye on the 'developer roadmap' if you're spending a lot of time/effort on FB.

For any body interested the market share of browsers, that visited my own site.
    Its a heavy-heavy equipment site btw and its main target is in Eastern euro zone, its in a slavic language and I would be on the 1st to 2nd page on google for my target market.
    however I will be doing a lot ot restructuring of it, to make it english, and more available to www, instead of being stuck in eastern zone.
    Also "DONT LAUGH" im using weebly as the site to build the site,
    I got laughed at by some guy here when I said what I done, but seeing as I barely knew how to email let alone build a site when I started, I dont think its that bad.

but whats interesting to me is that CHROME really has a lot of catching up to do, and probably all the chrome visits have been me, so that number is skewed a bit.
    Internet Explorer
    1,684 51.33%

Firefox
    1,179 35.93%
    Chrome
    264 8.05%
    Opera
    123 3.75%
    Safari
    21 0.64%
    Mozilla
    3 0.09%
    Mozilla Compatible Agent
    3 0.09%
    SeaMonkey
    2 0.06%
    Googlebot
    1 0.03%
    Konqueror
    1 0.03%

• Advertisement

Depending on site to site, I would say Chrome averages a little higher at 10%. It's a good little browser. I simultaneously use FireFox and Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

The reality is that more poeple will be looking at your site in IE6 then Chrome so you have got to make sure your CSS is prepared for this. HTML5 and CSS3 is all good, just make sure you have got back up in place for when some middle aged Woman trundles on to your site with IE6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

Keep an eye on the traffic coming from these sites. If one stands out devote some time engaging with people on it. It might become a good source of traffic and sales over time.

It seems Google and Bing do count links from social networking sites now: http://www.getelastic.com/how-twitter-and-facebook-can-help-your-search-rankings/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

hemali wrote: »
    Great post,
    Really helpful to me.

Anything you would like to contribute?!

Sully wrote: »
    Anything you would like to contribute?!

Single post - sounds like forum spam!

Advertisement