Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoe Sock Cover Thingies

• 08-11-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't know the name for them! Anyone got recommendations on where I can get a cheap-ish, warm, waterproof pair of them? I have Wiggle M1 MTB shoes for my hybrid bike and my toes nearly froze off me on Saturday! The going rate for entry level ones seems to be around the € 20 mark - am I right? Any help much appreciated so I don't lose my toes next weekend! :) I realise it might cost a lot to get a decent quality pair, but I've spent too much already in the past few months!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Overshoes and cover socks. From your description it sounds like you're after overshoes. Neoprene overshoes are generally the warmest.

Make sure you get MTB ones - the fit is different for MTB and road shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Nice one thanks! Overshoes it is so! Just need to find me a pair now! It'll help keep the shoes clean too I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

g0g wrote: »
    Nice one thanks! Overshoes it is so! Just need to find me a pair now! It'll help keep the shoes clean too I guess!

You seem very excited about this.

The thought of never ever again facing the pins and needles my fingers and toes experienced after last Saturday's cycle is certainly a very exciting prospect! I assume it's the over-abundance of exclamation marks in my post that gave it away?:)

The thought of never ever again facing the pins and needles my fingers and toes experienced after last Saturday's cycle is certainly a very exciting prospect! I assume it's the over-abundance of exclamation marks in my post that gave it away?:)

Good quality wool hiking socks are also very helpful for keeping the toes toasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Raam wrote: »
    Good quality wool hiking socks are also very helpful for keeping the toes toasty.

+1. Last year I wore some socks I originally got for snowboarding and they worked a treat, nice and warm.

For the most part I just wear cover socks, they usually do the job except when the weather is wetter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

when its cold i wear sealskinz socks and neoprene overshoes
    sat 5 degrees was touch and go ended up warm enough

For € 20 delivered is this the kind of thing that'll sort me out? Is there better value out there or should I be spending more on something warmer?

Or maybe these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

For € 20 delivered is this the kind of thing that'll sort me out? Is there better value out there or should I be spending more on something warmer?

No use wahtsoever something more like this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56294

(you need to go bigger fro mtb shoes

• Advertisement

"Cover Sock Overshoes" :rolleyes:

They're cover socks. I personally wouldn't use them in cold, wet weather.

When it is both very cold and very wet I use duct tape to seal the top of my neoprene overshoes to my tights.

No use wahtsoever something more like this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56294

(you need to go bigger fro mtb shoes
    Thanks but them discount ones aren't available for size 45/46! Anyone got any recommendations from CRC selection? So much to choose from!
    Hard Wearing....
    Cheaper and in stock....
    Endura Luminit....

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get any advice anyone has :)

Lumen wrote: »
    And would you recommend them? Tight-fitting?

And would you recommend them? Tight-fitting?

I have to use tape round the top to stop heavy rain coming in, but I think this is the case with all overshoes.

But other than that they're a good warm pair? Wouldn't be too bulky cycling on the road? (I have this vision of MTB overshoes being like snowboard boots!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »

They look like Uggs.

I like http://www.rapha.cc/overshoes

or http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=17&ID=2192

Both are excellent. Former more for cold weather and wet roads. Latter for when its raining.

Thanks ROK ON! Both look very good, although again a little pricey :( Maybe my hope of twenty quid to sort out the problem wasn't realistic! Just seems a bit annoying after spending more than € 50 on the shoes to then buy more things to keep the shoes warm/dry!:confused:

Thanks ROK ON! Both look very good, although again a little pricey :( Maybe my hope of twenty quid to sort out the problem wasn't realistic! Just seems a bit annoying after spending more than € 50 on the shoes to then buy more things to keep the shoes warm/dry!:confused:

I'm not sure what your expectations of the shoes are, but you can blame the weather for the need for overshoes.

On the bike your feet will always be colder than when walking or hiking or running, since you are not stimulating them in the same way and there is more of a chill factor since you are travelling at speed into cold wind.

I'm not sure what your expectations of the shoes are, but you can blame the weather for the need for overshoes.

On the bike your feet will always be colder than when walking or hiking or running, since you are not stimulating them in the same way and there is more of a chill factor since you are travelling at speed into cold wind.
    Thanks yeah I get the part about why my feet feel colder, and I realise the same shoes that kept my feet a little aired in warm summer months might not be as suitable for doing the same in the winter. I realise (as per other thread today!) I'm still gonna get wet too, but would rather be wet at a slightly higher temperature so I can still feel my toes!

Did some more reading of the reviews on those Endura MT500 overshoe yokes and the recent reviews are fairly pants. Sounds like they fall apart or the zips jam!

• Advertisement

Did some more reading of the reviews on those Endura MT500 overshoe yokes and the recent reviews are fairly pants. Sounds like they fall apart or the zips jam!

I know mine did. Assos Winter Airblock all the way for me. I get very cold and these did the job along with wool socks. If it's super bad, then I'll jam a lighter pair of oversocks in there.

Personally I can't stand the neoprene things. The are the work of Satan himself.

I know mine did. Assos Winter Airblock all the way for me. I get very cold and these did the job along with wool socks. If it's super bad, then I'll jam a lighter pair of oversocks in there.

Personally I can't stand the neoprene things. The are the work of Satan himself.
    Ouch they're pricey!:eek:
    Think I'm gonna take my chances with these ones:
    campag-c728-med.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

! Just seems a bit annoying after spending more than € 50 on the shoes to then buy more things to keep the shoes warm/dry!:confused:

Probably best if you read this thread and know your future, while we are on the topic of handing down bad news you will probably need to buy spring/summer shoe covers as winter ones will be too hot but it'll be a bit cool to go with just shoes.
    When you buy gear like this always think

'I'm returning home from a 200k spin and I feel like crap because of ________ how much would I pay never to have this happen again'.

For example:
    I'm returning home from a 200k spin and I feel like crap because of not being able to feel my feet for the last 4 hours and my toe nails are now beginning to fall off how much would I pay never to have this happen again.

I let the answer to you..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I just bought these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150509209060&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IE:1123

Check out his ebay shop as he has loads of cycling stuff at very good prices including a few different overshoes.
    If you wait a few days ill give ya a full report on these ones:)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Could anyone recommend a decent pair of overshoes which would fit over just any ordinary pair of runners? I'm getting fed up of having to bring a spare change of shoes with me every wet morning going into college!

Thanks to c montgomery. Wiggle didn't have the ones I ordered and I wanted something for this weekend so checked out the BBB brand. Bought these yokes off CRC. Gave them their first run today up the mountains and kept my toes toasty throughout! :) Just hope they last now! Bit higher than original budget but I'm hoping they'll cover me off even if it's very cold.
    45052.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

when its cold i wear sealskinz socks and neoprene overshoes
    sat 5 degrees was touch and go ended up warm enough

- SealSkinz - Thats why I enjoy this forum, I always learn something. Thank you very much!

Advertisement