Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aware 10k Sat 15th Jan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

3 stars (average)
    Well still considering this. Probably will sign up.
    With christmas, snow and sickness haven't been out as much as I would have liked. What is the route like? Is it hilly??
    Are many people doing it? (so many questions....so little time...;))

3 stars (average)
    SIgned up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

maria74 wrote: »
    Well still considering this. Probably will sign up.
    With christmas, snow and sickness haven't been out as much as I would have liked. What is the route like? Is it hilly??
    Are many people doing it? (so many questions....so little time...;))

Its the same route as the national 10k/great Ireland run. Fairly tough course, takes in military hill coming up to the 5k point then you head around the S-bends, then you climb the upper glen road, down into lower glen and back out.

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Events/2010/TheCourse.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im also in this, its perfect for me as I'm about ready to push my running rehab out for longer time and distance.

I guess I should be able to be somewhere plus or minus the 60 min mark? But Im not going to push too hard, as I dont want to get re-injured.

My next question is where do we get numbers? I have been registered for ages, and it said on the website that people in dublin would have to collect their numbers from aware offices in early December. I did not bother collect number as I was injured and it was snowy :)

I will give them a call tomorrow.

...........and of course the weather forecast is utterly miserable for Friday and into the weekend, which should make things interesting!

3 stars (average)
    ...........and of course the weather forecast is utterly miserable for Friday and into the weekend, which should make things interesting!

I know and can't find anywhere saying how long it will last. Fingers crossed its just for the weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

maria74 wrote: »
    SIgned up!

Hi could you post the link you used to sign up please. I'm sure its staring me in the face but I cant find it.

Thanks

guapos wrote: »
    Hi could you post the link you used to sign up please. I'm sure its staring me in the face but I cant find it.

Thanks

http://www.aware.ie/events/register/aware10k.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Did anybody collect their number yet?

I just got a confirmation email for the €20. I don't have a number or code.

Is it a case of bringing ID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    Got mine in December for the postponed event and just walked in and they asked me my name and address.

No mention of ID to me so it should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

3 stars (average)
    Mad Benny wrote: »
    Did anybody collect their number yet?

I just got a confirmation email for the €20. I don't have a number or code.

Is it a case of bringing ID?

I was wondering the same thing, i have no code or number either. It's actually very annoying, i cant make it in to collect it on saturday as i'm away, and they are only open til 5pm next week- I work til 6. hoping that they'll allow by friend pick hers AND mine up at the same time- otherwise i'm literally going to have to take a 2 hour lunch to pick it up FFS.. they should have allowed people register on the morning of the race or something

anyway, i'll try to be kind spirited, it is for charity after all:)

Meanwhile i havent done any runs since early Dec (and at that it was only a slow 5km), should be interesting next weekend- will be some achievement if i manage it sub 1hr, but i might surprise myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing, i have no code or number either. It's actually very annoying, i cant make it in to collect it on saturday as i'm away, and they are only open til 5pm next week- I work til 6. hoping that they'll allow by friend pick hers AND mine up at the same time- otherwise i'm literally going to have to take a 2 hour lunch to pick it up FFS.. they should have allowed people register on the morning of the race or something

anyway, i'll try to be kind spirited, it is for charity after all:)

Meanwhile i havent done any runs since early Dec (and at that it was only a slow 5km), should be interesting next weekend- will be some achievement if i manage it sub 1hr, but i might surprise myself!

People are allowed to register on the morning ;)

As I said before there is little incentive for Dublin based people to preregister unlesss they work beside the aware office, given that they can pay and register on the morning of the race.

Anyways I am pretty sure your friend will be able to pick up your number for you. I picked up the number for a friend as well as my own last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

hoping that they'll allow by friend pick hers AND mine up at the same time
    A non-running friend picked up mine in December.

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    People are allowed to register on the morning ;)

Where did you hear that Meno?

Page 1, end of paragraph 2 of 'Information for Aware 10k run' says :''Numbers will not be available on the morning of the run''

It says they are only available Sat 8th 11am - 4pm, or Mon- Wed 10am-5pm.

Theyre probably only taking new registrations on the day I'd say, as oppposed to people who have pre-registered.. anyway hopefully they'll allow my buddy pick it up on Saturday, i'd say they will.

Going to try a 7km in the morning, see how I get on:o (unless it snows overnight.. kinda half secretly hoping it does :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Where did you hear that Meno?

Page 1, end of paragraph 2 of 'Information for Aware 10k run' says :''Numbers will not be available on the morning of the run''

It says they are only available Sat 8th 11am - 4pm, or Mon- Wed 10am-5pm.

Theyre probably only taking new registrations on the day I'd say, as oppposed to people who have pre-registered.. anyway hopefully they'll allow my buddy pick it up on Saturday, i'd say they will.

Going to try a 7km in the morning, see how I get on:o (unless it snows overnight.. kinda half secretly hoping it does :) )

No I meant they are taking new registrations that morning:

Can I still sign up to run?
    Advance online registration has now closed. Late registration will also be available on the morning of the race (7.30am - 9.15am sharp in the car park opposite the papal cross), costing €25 per entrant. You do not need to register again if you have already signed up for the original race date.

As i said, If I intended doing this run I would just sign up on the morning instead of preregistering and having to go into the city centre to collect my number. That's what i meant by saying there is little incentive in Dublin Runners preregistering.
    Anyway don't worry, i am pretty certain they will let your friend collect your number. If she can't and you Can't go collect your number, ring aware and I am sure they will sort something out for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are many people doing this? trying to figure out if it's worth my while going down to cheer yee on *and ecourage a early session in Ryans*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

3 stars (average)
    I will be doing this and will certainly be on for a few scoops in Ryans to regale ye all with dread tales of the horrors of the Wicklow mountains.

I will be doing this, and will go for scoops afterwards if there is a gang :)

I will be running. I would love to be sub 40 but, with my lack of training there is no hope. It will more likely be sub 42.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

3 stars (average)
    I'm a relative noob but will be doing this along with my wife. She's aiming for <50, I'm aiming for <60 - it'll be only my 3rd time running 10k distance (you might come scrape me up off the ground if I don't make it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Can anybody tell me is it a flat or hilly course?

PWEI wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me is it a flat or hilly course?
    It is the same course as the Great Ireland Run.
    There are some climbs in the second half.

Here is the course elevation from my Polar HRM during the 2010 Great Ireland Run back in April last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Anyone running this as a first race ever???

ILOVERED wrote: »

Excluding egg and spoon races?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

3 stars (average)

This is my 5th race ever (including egg and spoon!!), but first 10k race.

2nd race since egg and spoon championships. :) 1st was the Movember 2010 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Thanks excluding under 8's sports day this is my first race ever!!

Nervous as the days are getting nearer. just aiming to finish it but not last!

I don't care if I'm last. I think it's better if you run it all even if it is at a very slow pace. I started at the back of the Movember 10k and passed quite a few that were walking the last km.

3 stars (average)

It's my first official 10km, although i've done shorter (5km) and longer (15km and the likes of gaelforce etc).. have no clue how to fit my pace into a 10km stretch, i'm going to head out as i would for a 5km and hope for the best! Woudl love to do sub 55 mins but it's been ages since i've done any proper training, so as long as it's under an hour i'll be happy

My buddy picked up my number for me today, no issues there. Looking fwd to it now really... except...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31?&search=dublin&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

3 stars (average)
    The rain isn't the problem, its the gale that we're meant to have Friday night/Saturday morn that was in yesterday's Met Eireann forecast that i heard would bother.

Beats snow and ice though and takes your mind off the hills at the end.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Gales you say... yikes.. well, here's hoping the wind will be at our backs helping us up that last hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Is there an online entry URL ? MIght give this a last before the leinster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

emerald007 wrote: »
    Is there an online entry URL ? MIght give this a last before the leinster match.

pretty sure online entry closed last thursday but you can enter on the day

emerald007 wrote: »

You can enter on the day. I think it closses at 9:30am though so best to get there early. Think they take the entries in the Garda boat club.

It's my first official 10km, although i've done shorter (5km) and longer (15km and the likes of gaelforce etc).. have no clue how to fit my pace into a 10km stretch, i'm going to head out as i would for a 5km and hope for the best! Woudl love to do sub 55 mins but it's been ages since i've done any proper training, so as long as it's under an hour i'll be happy

I ran the course earlier today and the second half is most definitely tougher than than the first half. First 5k is fairly flat but I wouldnt go nuts, keep something(a lot actually)in the tank for the second half. You head down the kyber and turn right up military road at about 4.5k. If you go off at 5k pace for the first half this hill will put the hurt on you big time. My advice would be not to go full throttle until you hit the top of military hill, then gun it. You'll hit the S-bends and then head downhill for a bit but then you'll have to climb upper glen road. We take a left into lower glen which is a nice downhill relief, but then you gotta climb out again and that hill, which comes at about 8k is a bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Not decided on this yet.
    tunguska wrote: »
    You can enter on the day. I think it closses at 9:30am though so best to get there early. Think they take the entries in the Garda boat club.

From http://www.aware.ie/get_involved/fundraising/christmas_10k/

Can I still sign up to run?
    Advance online registration has now closed. Late registration will also be available on the morning of the race (7.30am - 9.15am sharp in the car park opposite the papal cross), costing €25 per entrant. You do not need to register again if you have already signed up for the original race date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

2 stars (poor)
    Road closures for tomorrow in park.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/media/RCO%2015%201%2011.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

I'm planning to run this tomorrow (provided the ice packs over the past few nights have dome the trick)
    It's my first race ever, apart from school sports days which are 20 years ago :eek:.
    I ran 10k for the first time, back in December, took me exactly an hour- if I can even shave a minute off that I'll be happy as a clam.

Is the surface all pavement or is there any grass? Sorry if this has been covered already in the thread

Is the surface all pavement or is there any grass? Sorry if this has been covered already in the thread
    All tarmac pavement, no grass.

daymobrew wrote: »
    All tarmac pavement, no grass.

Ouch! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

3 stars (average)
    pistol_75 wrote: »

Looks like much more road and gate closures than for the simon run or Movember 10k, is there normally a big crowd running this?

Any idea where the closest parking to registration is?

emco wrote: »
    Looks like much more road and gate closures than for the simon run or Movember 10k, is there normally a big crowd running this?

Any idea where the closest parking to registration is?
    More closures because it uses North Road going by Ashtown Gate.

I assume that the main road between the Phoenix Monument (close to the Pope's Cross) and the Zoo will be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

3 stars (average)
    Good luck to everybody taking part in this today.
    Hopefully we will see a few of you in Ryans afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Good Luck to anyone doing this today.
    Ill-Health is keeping me away unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

3 stars (average)
    well done to everyone who turned up today - there was a good crowd despite the wind and rain. The Bootcamp folks led a good warm-up and there was a nice bit of cameraderie (sp?) on the way around. Got talking to a few fellow noobs at various times, really helped munch up the miles. Finished in 55.27, which was 4 mins ahead of target. Mrs Dilbert75 was in just after 50 mins so, given the conditions, we're both very happy.

3 stars (average)
    God, i hate the wind. That was hard as there was nowhere to avoid the wind until you went down the Furry Glen which was 7.5 k. Heading down the Kyber and up the Magazine Fort was like been in a wind tunnel and i was blown around the place.

Couldn't get enough people to shelter me from the wind either:rolleyes: However once i avoided the wind, i tagged onto another guy and stuck with him until the line. All in all happy and across the line in 42 and change.

I went straight to the car and changed and came home so Sarsfield and anyone else that was around, sorry but i was frozen with the cold and went straight to the car.

By the way, despite the wind i don't think its a fast course for anyone doing the Great Ireland Run.

P.S. did i mention the wind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I found that tough enough with the wind and rain (and hills) but agree on the comraderie. I got chatting to a girl for the last few kms and it really helped me keep going. I missed several of the markers including the 9km so the appearance of the finish line in the distance was a pleasant surprise.

Did anyone else see the guy in the Borat mankini? Laughter was rippling through the crowd as he passed and I was expecting to see someone in costume but nothing like that!

Well done everyone!
    Just out of the bath after finishing my first race. Was in two minds about whether to run at all because of lower leg pain but I'm really glad I did it now. Came in a full 8 minutes ahead of target too! :eek: :)

51:31 - Started running 3 months ago so I'm really pleased with that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eineidv33

anyone know where and when the race times are posted?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

3 stars (average)
    It's not an easy course at the best of times but the wind and rain today made it even harder. Really struggled in the furry glen, was glad to get to the finish.

Very good atmosphere and pretty large turnout. It was a bit nippy hanging round at the start but once you got running it was quite mild. The people doing the registration must have been frozen, standing at the park bench exposed to the elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

2 stars (poor)
    Well that was some wind. I think everyone took a battering from it. Was hoping to go sub 55 and came in 49:57. Really chuffed. Knew from the race series what to expect with the second half but even going down the kyber we were nearly blown back up the hill.

PB for 10K by 7 minutes and over 10 on same course from Great Ireland run last year. Definitly not the fastest of courses for people hoping to set quick times and always problems in Great Ireland Run with crowds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement