Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Advice

Options
  • 08-11-2010 1:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, i was looking to upgrade an older machine that i have to allow me to play L4D2 and some other modern games. Specs are below, and i'm wondering if i could just upgrade the ram, or would i be better off with a total overhaul. The motherboard is pretty old, so i can't find if it's even compatible with DDR2 ram. L4D2 runs, but is a bit on the slow side.
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI, Socket -939,S-ATA,Dual-GbLAN,Firewire,PCI-Ex16
    Club3D GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express, Dual DVI, VIVO
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Socket 939, 512KB, BOXED w/fan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i think you are better off selling this and building a budget gaming system if u can spare the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Yep, time to sell and get yourself on AM3, but ram is still damn expensive, although the cheapest ive seen is on MemoryC (google it)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Seen cheaper on HWVS...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah was thinking that alright, the ram for my current build is better value on hwvs. having said that 30 quid for shipping is a bit steep unless youre getting loads

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I was really speaking in the context of a full build as suggested above :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement