Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof jackets

• 08-11-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got one of thesewaterproof jackets?, if so, are they any good. I am looking for a really cheap, (i mean really cheap!) lightweight waterproof that stuffs down really small.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Has anyone got one of thesewaterproof jackets?, if so, are they any good. I am looking for a really cheap, (i mean really cheap!) lightweight waterproof that stuffs down really small.

IMHO a fully waterproof jacket is a realy bad idea unless you are using it on say a commute that is maybe less than 45mins.
    The reason that I say this is that waterproof is rarely breathable. As you sweat, it wont evapourate and you can end up getting very cold and wet as a result.

I have an Altura Nightvision that I wear commuting - it is fully waterproof. I have stupidly worn it training - I dont recommend this.

If I am going out for several hours and it is likely to be wet and cold then I wear a winter cycling jacket and a water resistant/windproof lightweight rain jacket.
    Rain jackets and waterproof jackets (that are genuinely water proof) are not cheap unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ROK ON wrote: »

I have an Altura Nightvision that I wear commuting - it is fully waterproof. I have stupidly worn it training - I dont recommend this.

Does that one have pit zips? I was tempted by the Night Vision Evo.

OP, how about a poncho?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, no.

Why 'no'? is it not v waterproof?

[QUOTE=OP, how about a poncho?[/QUOTE]

Ermmmmm a bit flappy for down here on the SW coast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why 'no'? is it not v waterproof?

It fell apart at the seams on the first use.

Transparent jackets are designed for racing, so you can see team kit through them. If you don't need that, don't buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Ermmmmm a bit flappy for down here on the SW coast!

I see you're in Bantry. Blustery part of the world alright. I was in Glengariff on the bike today.
    I wore this
    http://www.rapha.cc/stowaway-jacket

over an Assos Airjacket 851.
    If anything I was too warm, and it was windy wet and cold (6C).

During the week I wore my Altura jacket over a long sleeve jersey, base layer. It was wet but 12C. By the time I got home I was very very cold and wet due to the trapped layer of sweat.

I am of the opinion that if the weather is so bad that you need a fully waterproof jacket, then it is more than likely to bad for cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Experience has taught me it's worth investing in something decent. The best I've used so far is Showers Pass Winter training jacket:

http://www.urbanhunter.biz/shop/catalogue.php?item_id=962

Not cheap by any standards but it's great value for money-genuinely waterproof (up to 3 hours steady rain tested so far), breathable and warm. The ventillation is very clever and works on longer spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

eVent is genuinely waterproof while still being breathable. Not cheap though: I hve the dhb one and I would reccomend it. I had the Altura Night Vision a few years ago; not breathable at all as ROK_ON says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

100Suns wrote: »
    Experience has taught me it's worth investing in something decent. The best I've used so far is Showers Pass Winter training jacket:

http://www.urbanhunter.biz/shop/catalogue.php?item_id=962

Not cheap by any standards but it's great value for money-genuinely waterproof (up to 3 hours steady rain tested so far), breathable and warm. The ventillation is very clever and works on longer spins.

My brother was just chatting to me about those jackets - he loves his too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

blorg wrote: »
    eVent is genuinely waterproof while still being breathable. Not cheap though: I hve the dhb one and I would reccomend it. I had the Altura Night Vision a few years ago; not breathable at all as ROK_ON says.

I have eVent as well - as breathable as anything I've used, and has successfully passed the test of recent downpours on long spins. Used with a good base layer (with some class of wicking properties) this has been a revelation tbh. Light, packable and low key - use a Sam Browne if you need reflectivity.

Currently down to €100 on wiggle but only large sizes left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Haleakala wrote: »
    I have eVent as well - as breathable as anything I've used, and has successfully passed the test of recent downpours on long spins. Used with a good base layer (with some class of wicking properties) this has been a revelation tbh. Light, packable and low key - use a Sam Browne if you need reflectivity.

Currently down to €100 on wiggle but only large sizes left.

Just ordered one. What is the fit like on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

I have a medium, I'm about 5 10 average build and it's a decent fit for me. I'd say the large would swamp me though.

I use it for commuting where a little extra room is useful, if you wanted it for training etc. you might go a size lower.

There are no pockets which some people dislike, but it really is waterproof so a small compromise as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

ROK ON wrote: »
    IMHO a fully waterproof jacket is a realy bad idea unless you are using it on say a commute that is maybe less than 45mins.
    The reason that I say this is that waterproof is rarely breathable. As you sweat, it wont evapourate and you can end up getting very cold and wet as a result.

If I am going out for several hours and it is likely to be wet and cold then I wear a winter cycling jacket and a water resistant/windproof lightweight rain jacket.
    Rain jackets and waterproof jackets (that are genuinely water proof) are not cheap unfortunately.

As others said, the Altura Nightvision are crap all right (not breathable at all). If you invest a decent amount of money, you can get a nicely breathable and waterproof jacket. Sure, for short commutes it might make more sense to invest in a softshell that will keep moderate rain out for a while, and that will keep you warm if and once rain has soaked through.

If after all things considered, real waterproofness is still desired (like for touring for example, or long commutes), you have to accept to pay the price. The eVent jackets are good for that. Endura has moved to using so called PTFE Protection fabric for its formerly eVent jacket: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50001 I have this jacket and God how I love it! I've never worn anything as breathable. However, it is really warm. I wouldn't wear it for anything above 12-13º.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

snollup wrote: »
    Just ordered one. What is the fit like on them?

A little on the large side. There are no vents but they are very good. The patent was recently up on goretex and eVent is goretex under a different name AFAIK. It's great for commutes but any intensity on a training spin and it can get damp on the inside. Also, it doesn't pack small. As I said though, great for commuting and a great price on wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

100Suns wrote: »
    The patent was recently up on goretex and eVent is goretex under a different name AFAIK. It's great for commutes but any intensity on a training spin and it can get damp on the inside.

I'm not sure that's the case. eVent is a much more recent fabric. FWIW, look at this for example.

AFAIK, Gore-tex has the reputation of getting damp inside, while eVent has the reputation of not getting damp inside (TBH, I believe that Gore-tex has been a bit overrated - let's say they were the first, but better came since then). According to Endura, this PTFE Protection fabric I was mentioning is even more breathable than eVent. And I can assure you I never got damp after several hours of high intensity cycling with it, which is why I love it.

Here is a funny video on the difference in breathability between Gore-tex and eVent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bprmJKKK8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Altura jacket here. Too hot unless its a cold day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Just bought one of these, endura stealth.

Windproof, waterproof softshell with vents, back pocket and chest pocket. Wore it with just a base layer on both days last weekend, certainly warm and windproof. Was caught in a heavy shower and 100% waterproof too. Impressive, athough not cheap. Cost me 146 sterling from CRC. Sizing - I'm kinda inbetween L and M (aspirations of M!!) so went for L - Good fit, bit of room, arms are long though. If it continues to work as well and I wear it all through winter it will be well worth the outlay.

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=123&prod_id=141

A search of ebay come up with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Anybody know if the Pearl Izumi PRO Softshell Jackets are any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

A search of ebay come up with this.

I will only ever wear a high vis. version of any jacket, so this looks interesting.

But of course it is unlikely to be a breathable fabric at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Anybody know if the Pearl Izumi PRO Softshell Jackets are any good?

well looking at the first review (check the review tab) on the link you provided doesn't say much anyway ;)

Advertisement