Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balaclava?

• 08-11-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've been cycling to work for a couple of months now and I am just recovering after an episode of a very strong sinusitis. I was thinking on getting a balaclava for when I am fully recovered and so avoid getting so cold, but I am not sure what to get as in Amazon all they sell seems to be for motorcycles, not bicycles, so I have to ask the boardies :)
    Any advice on brands or where to get them?
    I remember using wool ones when I was a teenager but with a helmet now is impossible to wear so I need something lighter and thinner.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Maybe try a buff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Wiggle have a decent selection.

I recently bought one of these and I haven't taken it off since. I find it fantastic and really warm!!! You'll get them in any decent outdoors stores.

I had sinusitis for about 3 months until the last few weeks so I feel your pain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Thank guys, I didn't think of the buff at all! But I am not sure about a buff because it''s seems impossible to use as a cap as well and also I always get ear pains so it needs to cover my Dumbo wings :) I know, I suffer the cold a lot but I am not from this weather so please understand.
    Or perhaps I need to wear both a cap and a buff.
    I'll give it try, for what it costs is not so difficult to try.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

I think Buff can do both! Certainly a couple of weeks back my ears were freezing so I had it covering from my neck up over the top of my head pretty much.

Got a balaclava from Aldi a year or two ago, they're great. I tend to get ear aches in winter myself so it helps protect from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

On a couple of particularly cold days last winter, I wore this:

4073239543_5b31001494_z.jpg

The only problem is that it gets a little stuffy around the nose, the wool doesn't allow the level of ventilation I expected.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nectarous/4073239543/

But aren't you tempted to destroy the world when wearing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

g0g wrote: »
    I think Buff can do both! Certainly a couple of weeks back my ears were freezing so I had it covering from my neck up over the top of my head pretty much.

You can't beat a buff for versatility can you ! I use mine as a cap most of the time for running, when it gets too warm off it goes around the wrist. When it's pissing rain and cold it make a great balaclava.

OP, see the official buff website, http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php for how you can use it. The vids are a bit cheesy but if you buy one it has a much better card showing you how to make all the different styles which for some reason aren't on the site.

edit, google brings it back
    how-to-wear-a-buff.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I have one of these, but not sure if I should wear it on a bike

balaclava004.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I ordered one from this crowd, http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/bally/ on Thursday or Friday and it came this morning. Nice thin fabric so its grand with a helmet and its keeps your face warm. Cool designs too. They are more ski mask than balaclava.

It was a fiver delivery to Ireland.

• Advertisement

I just ordered the buff thingy. If it is too light for winter I'll get a balaclava or sky mask.
    Thanks everybody for the advices and the fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Cycling home last night made me decide I definitely want one of these.

It zips into a balaclava.

4sh_02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

lucianot wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've been cycling to work for a couple of months now and I am just recovering after an episode of a very strong sinusitis. I was thinking on getting a balaclava for when I am fully recovered and so avoid getting so cold, but I am not sure what to get as in Amazon all they sell seems to be for motorcycles, not bicycles, so I have to ask the boardies :)
    Any advice on brands or where to get them?
    I remember using wool ones when I was a teenager but with a helmet now is impossible to wear so I need something lighter and thinner.
    Thanks!

You`re in Galway?!?!
    I got a balaclava in the Army+Navy store on shop st for €8/10 and wear it for running, although I turn it up to a normal hat when there`s oncoming traffic(I run in the country side so running along the dark roads wit a torch AND a balaclava is just funny especially when you run up behind pedestrians:D:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cycling home last night made me decide I definitely want one of these.

It zips into a balaclava.

Anything that covers the mouth will get wet, cold and uncomfortable from exhaled moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In Dublin there's an Army Bargins store. There used to be an army surplus store in Galway city, but I think it closed down last year. There may be another one in Galway somethere, though. When I cycled, I found the one hole balaclava good.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Lumen wrote: »
    Anything that covers the mouth will get wet, cold and uncomfortable from exhaled moisture.

I'll just hold my breath.

Magnet wrote: »
    You`re in Galway?!?!
    I got a balaclava in the Army+Navy store on shop st for €8/10 and wear it for running, although I turn it up to a normal hat when there`s oncoming traffic(I run in the country side so running along the dark roads wit a torch AND a balaclava is just funny especially when you run up behind pedestrians:D:D)

Yes, I am in Galway. I may take a look there in case I am not happy with the buff I ordered.
    Thanks!

I just got the buff and is ok for covering the mouth and nose, itallosw you to breath OK while not getting frozen, and partially covers the ears. It doesn't make a very effective balaclava though. I bought one of those headbands from Pennys (€1) and together they work like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I bought this last year and I found i great for short trips (< 10km). I would say the condensation would probably get to me if had to wear it for much longer after that.

Nice one Al, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

the_syco wrote: »
    In Dublin there's an Army Bargins store. There used to be an army surplus store in Galway city, but I think it closed down last year. There may be another one in Galway somethere, though. When I cycled, I found the one hole balaclava good.

I saw an army store in Galway city during the NUIG open day, so I'd say its safe to say its still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

lucianot wrote: »
    I just got the buff and is ok for covering the mouth and nose, itallosw you to breath OK while not getting frozen, and partially covers the ears. It doesn't make a very effective balaclava though. I bought one of those headbands from Pennys (€1) and together they work like a charm.

I have a buff and think its great. You can pull it up higher to act as a balaclava, but I find that too hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Saw a JML ad for a buff clone last night - the bandarf (terrible name!)
    Doubt it has the same silver-anti-microbe stuff of the real deal but at half the price....

Herself got a thermal fleecy neck gaiter in an outdoor shop yesterday. Hasn't tried it out cycling yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

+1 on the buff. Around the neck under neath the jacket and you can pull it up when it suits.Yest I wore a beanie I got in Edinburgh a few years back with the buff pulled right up the back of my head and around my nose.Just simply pull it down/up when needs be.

Advertisement