Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Desktop computer?

Options
  • 08-11-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

My colleague in work in her 60's is looking to buy a new desktop PC. Say her budget was €400-€600, could you recommend me a PC?

She would just use it for browsing the internet, word processing etc but it would need to be fairly fast.

I can get her a copy of MS Office myself so that wouldn't need to be bundled into the cost. Also, would Windows 7 be hard to get to grips with? I could suggest that she sticks with XP if needs be.

I hear that Dells are really not very good anymore and that Toshibas/HPs or Samsungs are worth a look.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Really just browsing/office? No special needs??

You certainly don't need to ask in this forum, I'd say you'd be better off with a cheap Dell/HP/Acer from somewhere rather than build your own rig! :o

Personally I'd lean toward a system with either a tri-core AMD (X3-4**) or even an Intel dualie (i3-4**), whichever is cheaper. Both will give great basic performance for some time to come. You should hopefully be able to pick such a PC up for €450-600 even in the likes of PC World. Does she need a new monitor with this though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I agree with Solitaire, best to look for something off the shelf at that price (or less). Unless of course you are offering to build one.

Re Dells, I think Dell make decent enough desktop PCs, for light day to day use I reckon they would be fine. I wouldn't bother with their laptops though, just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Aldi etc run special offers every so often with very decent machines for low cost, bought 2 of them in the past and never had any problems

Advertisement