Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project on Abandoned buildings

Options
  • 08-11-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys, I am a photography student and I am doing a project on abandonded buildings, I was wondering if any one knew of any buildings I could get into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Check out Abandoned Ireland -plenty of info there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you mean abandoned in the more modern context of ghost estates and the like, or partially ruined buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thomascullen

Yeah I have already looked at abandoned ireland but he doesn't really give away the location of the places. I need just abandoned buildings that have a history, but one of the girls in my class is already doing ghost estates so thats not really any use. Thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It may be helpful to post whereabouts you are considering for this project.

Your local authority will have a derelict sites register which might help. Give them a call and ask if you can inspect it. If you get to someone who is helpful enough they might even have abandoned properties of their own (I know in my area we have an abandoned swimming pool for instance) and again if you were to nicely explain what you are at and what you need, they might be forthcoming with enabling access for you.

Please remember that access to any (random) site is likely to be subject to owners consent (which i think is why location details may not be published on most publications albeit that google probably will throw it up for you if you spend a little time at it). Access without permission from the owners will most likely be illegal and you will be guilty of trespassing if you enter without such permission so the general advice is to research the specific location prior to walking on site.

The abandoned 'baths' at Dunlaoighre(?) (or that direction) can make for an impressive photography subject. I think it was Calina who posted some previously here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Bollands Mill is the first one that springs to mind. It's harder to gain access and can be quite dangerous too so if you don't know what you are doing then I wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It really depends on your location and willingness to travel. There are some fantastic places out in the sticks that are untouched but are a good hour or two from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I think there's some abandoned hotel in Wicklow.
    Brookfield or Brookmeadow or Brook-something....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    It may be helpful to post whereabouts you are considering for this project.
    This.

My guess is that the OP is dublin based.
    [massive generalisation] Dublin people tend to assume the world ends at the M50 and hence dont need to post their location when asking for places of nearby interest[/massive generalisation]
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The Hellfire Club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Our Lady's Hospital in Cork (formerly Eglington Asylum, St Anne's Asylum). Part is now converted, but much remains abandoned. Beautiful building, and there is a door that's open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The Duke of Wellingtons country home is located outside Summerhill in Meath, its just walls and ivy. The old Pigeon House power station in Ringsend is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Our Lady's Hospital in Cork (formerly Eglington Asylum, St Anne's Asylum). Part is now converted, but much remains abandoned. Beautiful building, and there is a door that's open.

im also doing this abandoned buildings for a college assignment, is it easy enough to get in there.?? im from cork u see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭couscous007

Any ideas of buildings like this in MAYO, SLIGO, ROSCOMMON< LEITRIM or GALWAY. Would be interested in doing this for a personal project.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

macnab wrote: »
    The Duke of Wellingtons country home is located outside Summerhill in Meath, its just walls and ivy.

Is that on the hill on the right as you leave Summerhill heading for Kilcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Is that on the hill on the right as you leave Summerhill heading for Kilcock?

No thats Lynches castle, not a bad photo subject either. If you leave Summerhill heading for Trim the Church is a mile outside the village, you will notice a small roadway going up a hill to the right of the church. It leads to a farm gate which leads to the old house. It was massive in its day, complete with follies and man made lakes. Sadly now in ruins.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Hey guys, I am a photography student and I am doing a project on abandonded buildings, I was wondering if any one knew of any buildings I could get into?

I dunno if you have gotten the buildings you are looking for?
    Are you looking for abandoned mansion style houses or castles? I know of a few that may be of interest. they are on abandonedireland website Castle Roche, Stephenstwon House are two that may be of interest to you but you would have to have a car

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DavidHabsburg

Mote Park, just outside Roscommon town is pretty interesting. The house has been knocked down (nothing remains - I think the stone was used to build other houses) but there are some outbuildings (stables/sheds/water mill) that remain. Also, there is a beautiful arch (with a plaque) over one of the bridges on the way in. Well worth checking out!

Advertisement