Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Eircom 1mb for XBox live?

• 08-11-2010 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I tried searching to see if this had been answered before. Finally caved and got a phone line installed at home, largely to play XBox live. Now that it's installed Eircom are telling me that it will only support 1mb broadband.

Just looking for some feedback whether there's any point in signing up to a 12 month contract to try it out. Has anyone here used a similar connection successfully?
    cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

RGDATA! wrote: »
    I tried searching to see if this had been answered before. Finally caved and got a phone line installed at home, largely to play XBox live. Now that it's installed Eircom are telling me that it will only support 1mb broadband.

Just looking for some feedback whether there's any point in signing up to a 12 month contract to try it out. Has anyone here used a similar connection successfully?
    cheers guys

You shouldn't have any problem playing online even with a 1mg line. Xbox Live only uses a fraction of that speed. Just make sure that you're the only person using your home network at the time and don't have any other PC or program sucking up the bandwidth on you.

However, you may only be able to join in other games with that speed and not be able to host your own games. In general, you should be fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

i had the 1mb for over a year before we were upgraded to 3mb, and i never had a problem with it. I think th eonly game that ever dropped out on me online was COD 3 and that was because the game's servers were useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

I also have the 1MB package with eircom at home. I want to get an Xbox for Christmas (if Santa comes ;)).

How much of my download limit (I have 10GB) will be used, say for example I play for around 20 hours per week? This would probably be the maximum I would play.

Mossyman wrote: »
    I also have the 1MB package with eircom at home. I want to get an Xbox for Christmas (if Santa comes ;)).

How much of my download limit (I have 10GB) will be used, say for example I play for around 20 hours per week? This would probably be the maximum I would play.

probably around a gig a week then, haven't calculated the exact figures. XBL uses about 6-10 KB/s up and down. It'd take you about three hours to download a 700meg file at 120 KB/s. So you'll be using about a tenth of that speed. It shouldn't be an issue for you with a 10gig limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

guys, thanks for the quick replies on this, very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

10 gig a month man thats very low. i used to be on the 02 bband dongle and i had a 15gb a month cap.iam now with vodafone and have 40gb a month and its still not enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How much a month is that? Eircom guy said you can get Broadband for 9.99 a month but I never enquired what you actually get with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

10 Gigs?!?!?! People need to learn that this sort of nonsense has to stop and stop supporting companies with such ricidulous restrictions. I'd use 10 gigs in a quiet week (i.e just my PC, no XBox or laptop online)

Anyway, anyone who's serious about playing online should have DSL or Cable - those Midband USB Dongle things are a farce. If you can't get it, then scream at Errorcom until they fix it. I moved away from Mayo because I couldn't get proper internets for gaming and work.

For the record, I currently sit on a 24Mb uncapped Magnet account for €50+ change a month and it's awesome :)

Eircom is so dear though, I changed to 3 midband because it's a lot faster and a heck of a lot cheaper with the same DL allowance. If I could get eircom for 9.99 a month for gaming I'd be sorted. Although 3 was the same as eircom when playing online in terms of performance but you can't rely too much on it staying stable.

iam paying 38 euro a month with vodafone line rental included with 40gb download cap they have options to buy more which i probly will in the near futher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Squaker

i also want xbox live for christmas ;)
    i have a 3g wireless router with a built in modem (its the B260a)
    i usually have an download speed of 1 - 1.5 mb, and if i get up a 10 its 2 mb.. and an upload speed of usually 1mb. would i be able to get xbox live with this wireless connection ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

yup u should have no problem with xbox live with the 3g router

thank you very much for your reply :)

What's your ping when you do speedtests? 90ms or under and you're grand, sometimes you can have good speeds but your ping will can be anything from a 100ms to 300ms if not more. You should be grand most of the times but there's no stability with 3, especially when it's windy and rainy it'll be pretty much unuseable.

it varys sometimes as low as 65 and very rarely does it go over 100 tho

i just did a speed test there and my download was 2.11
    my upload was 1.56
    and my ping was 83 ms

you sound so .u will prob get a certain amount of lag.

thats a nice upload speed:D

nice one man:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Speedtest can vary largely with the results so if you want to test your ping speed open up a command propmt and type

ping <enter website name here> and press enter

it will show a list of your times!

Speedtest can vary largely with the results so if you want to test your ping speed open up a command propmt and type

ping <enter website name here> and press enter

it will show a list of your times!

Speedtest.net isn't that accurate, I find. I generally find www.irishisptest.com much better. It'll also show your jitter and packet loss which are more relevant to online gaming than actual upload and download speeds. What you want is 0-1% packet loss and a low jitter, below 8ms at least. This shows that your connection can maintain a constant stream of data, which is as important as having a low ping time.

• Advertisement

Squaker, I just had a bash on Fifa and my ping was about 80ms and it ran as smooth as when I had DSL, so you'll be grand. Like I said, it's not exactly stable so be prepared for some frustrating evenings when you randomly lose connection :p

Speedtest.net isn't that accurate, I find. I generally find www.irishisptest.com much better. It'll also show your jitter and packet loss which are more relevant to online gaming than actual upload and download speeds. What you want is 0-1% packet loss and a low jitter, below 8ms at least. This shows that your connection can maintain a constant stream of data, which is as important as having a low ping time.
    just did it there and my packet loss was 0% and my jitter was 7.1 .
    would i be able to play smoothly with that ?

siblers wrote: »
    Squaker, I just had a bash on Fifa and my ping was about 80ms and it ran as smooth as when I had DSL, so you'll be grand. Like I said, it's not exactly stable so be prepared for some frustrating evenings when you randomly lose connection :p
    sound :D
    are you on a landline tho ?

Squaker wrote: »
    just did it there and my packet loss was 0% and my jitter was 7.1 .
    would i be able to play smoothly with that ?

That's perfectly fine. You should have no problem with those figures. As long as you have a ping of less than 100ms, you shouldn't have any issues at your end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd be very worried about the quality of your line if 1mb is the maximum it can support! If you do opt to get it, I'd monitor the connection like a hawk and if it's dropping at all, cancel straight away. You have a 14 day cooling off period (see here) that you can use to evaluate the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Back in the days of the v92 56k modem, we used to play quake iii online without problems. When you've copies of the game locally, all you usually end up transmitting/receiving is co-ordinates of players/ordinance and scores (Unless you've maps/textures to download for that specific game). Very little data is consumed, which is why it's hilarious when you see the ads on TV telling you that 30MB broadband is best for gaming. My arse.

thanks for the help guys :D

Squaker wrote: »
    sound :D
    are you on a landline tho ?

Was on eircom, cancelled and am with three at the moment. I presumed you were with three/02/vodafone because of your 3g router, who are you with?

im with three. what is your download speed ?

• Advertisement

Varys really, usually between 2 and 4 meg, upload is usually 1mb. Ping is usually 80 or 90ms.

Advertisement