Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Eircom 1mb for XBox live?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Squaker

thats a pretty solid connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Speed
    Download speed: 4272 bps
    Upload speed: 155880 bps
    Quality of service: 70 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: HTTP
    Maximum TCP delay: 8437 ms
    Average download pause: 6532 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 62 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 655 ms

VoIP
    ----
    Jitter: you --> server: 22.5 ms
    Jitter: server --> you: off
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
    Packet loss: server --> you: off
    Packet discards: 0.0 %
    Packets out of order: 0.0 %
    Number of VoIP lines supported: 0
    Estimated MOS score: 3.6

VoIP test statistics
    Jitter: you --> server: 22.5 ms
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
    Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 4272 bps
    Upload speed: 155880 bps
    Quality of service: 70 %
    Upload test type: HTTP
    Maximum TCP delay: 8437 ms
    Average download pause: 6532 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 62 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 655 ms
    Estimated download bandwidth: 4272bps
    Route concurrency: 1.0
    Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
    Maximum route speed: 8456128bps

this is what i get when i go to www.irishptest.com and to be honest it means nothing to me i have clearwire at the min and my son is desperate for xbl is there anychance in even trying with clearwire or should i go with eircom or vodafone??

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

4272 bps, think that's like 0.4mbs p/s (could be wrong) which in case would be too slow, but then your upload speed 1.5 mb so I don't see why your download speed would be that low. Go on Speedtest. net and pingtest.net and when the results are shown, click on the copy forum link option and post them here.

Vodafone or Eircom are the best for online gaming as DSL is very stable and more than fast enough for it, not sure what clearwire is like as I've no experience with it, I had Eircom and it was perfect for xbox live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

i am with vodafone and find it realy good for xbox live and a at 38 euro a month with a 40 gb download cap i cant complain

siblers wrote: »
    4272 bps, think that's like 0.4mbs p/s (could be wrong) which in case would be too slow, but then your upload speed 1.5 mb so I don't see why your download speed would be that low. Go on Speedtest. net and pingtest.net and when the results are shown, click on the copy forum link option and post them here.

Vodafone or Eircom are the best for online gaming as DSL is very stable and more than fast enough for it, not sure what clearwire is like as I've no experience with it, I had Eircom and it was perfect for xbox live.

28736301.png

1042405823.png

thanks

• Advertisement

That's a pretty poor service you're getting from clearwire. Xbox live wouldn't work on those speeds, you'd be better off cancelling if you can and going with vodafone or eircom, not just for xbox live but for everday surfing it'll be a heck of a lot faster than your current connection, it's very stable as well so you're speed wont drop either.

thanks i figured as much just dont really want to have to pay the extra lol only paying 14.00 a month with clearwire tho so guess thats maybe why its crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Based on some of the early replies I got the eircom 1 meg, and I'm happy with it. It's overpriced, but that's offset by being able to enjoy xbox live properly now.

Switching from O2 mobile (which was pretty decent and better value otherwise), the eircom is way more solid for gaming, even though I'm actually getting a lower dl and much lower ul now.

Ping is clearly better and more consistent, although it does fluctuate a bit too. Best I ever got on o2 was around 100ms (typically 200ms+) with loads of jitter. Eircom peaks for me at 33ms, averages around 60ms, very little jitter.
    It seems this is considered decent or acceptable, although I've also read here that even 50ms is high.

Depends really on what kinda gamer your are, people who takes online gaming really seriously and play all the time will what the lowest ping as possible, for casual gamers the difference betweem 20ms and 50ms doesn't really matter.

Danois, you can always try the likes of Permanet, they do fixed wireless where they stick a little antenna on your chimney and you get a signal off another antenna on a mountain or hill etc, it's cheaper than DSL and is also quite consistent. Although youcan get Vodafone with line rental for about 40 a month which is pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Based on some of the early replies I got the eircom 1 meg, and I'm happy with it. It's overpriced, but that's offset by being able to enjoy xbox live properly now.

Switching from O2 mobile (which was pretty decent and better value otherwise), the eircom is way more solid for gaming, even though I'm actually getting a lower dl and much lower ul now.

Ping is clearly better and more consistent, although it does fluctuate a bit too. Best I ever got on o2 was around 100ms (typically 200ms+) with loads of jitter. Eircom peaks for me at 33ms, averages around 60ms, very little jitter.
    It seems this is considered decent or acceptable, although I've also read here that even 50ms is high.

To be honest, I'm a little disgusted that the regulator is still allowing Irish mobile operators to advertise their medium-band products, such as what mobile broadband is, as a full broadband type product. This probably isn't the thread to voice my opinion on that issue.

50ms isn't high, that's quite normal. I would say above 80ms would be getting higher than you'd prefer and above 100ms you'll be getting a lot of lag, especially on UK based severs as it'll probably be closer to 200ms ping to there.

• Advertisement

does anyone here use wimax?? would that do the trick?? its cheaper set up cost than eircom or vodafone?

I'd avoid, wimax has had some appauling reviews by members on here. There's better alternatives like permanet.

siblers wrote: »
    I'd avoid, wimax has had some appauling reviews by members on here. There's better alternatives like permanet.

thanks for that cant afford the set up costs of permanet at the min tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

danois wrote: »
    thanks for that cant afford the set up costs of permanet at the min tho

Then save up for permanet cause I find them excellent!

I'm about 15-20 miles from their mast. These are my results from 8.55pm tonight, right in the middle of peak time! I've a 2meg down and .5meg up package and am getting virtually no contention. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Pinged www.boards.ie at 29ms, 28ms, 27ms & 28ms, impressive for a wireless provider.

Speed
    Download speed: 1922424 bps
    Upload speed: 490600 bps
    Quality of service: 84 %
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum TCP delay: 124 ms
    Average download pause: 17 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 37 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 49 ms

VoIP
    ----
    Jitter: you --> server: 2.4 ms
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.5 %
    Number of VoIP lines supported: 23
    Estimated MOS score: 3.8

VoIP test statistics
    Jitter: you --> server: 2.4 ms
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.5 %
    Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 1922424 bps
    Upload speed: 490600 bps
    Quality of service: 84 %
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum TCP delay: 124 ms
    Average download pause: 17 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 37 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 49 ms
    Estimated download bandwidth: 1922424bps
    Route concurrency: 1.0
    Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
    Maximum route speed: 14169728bps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Squaker

hey again guys.
    i was just wondering if the new 3g deltanna wibe was compatible with xbox live because if it was is would be a great help with my connection ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

If he has enthernet port always worth try.

Advertisement