Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for GB Reg Car

Options
  • 08-11-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hiya

Am at uni in Ireland ten months of the year so have to insure my car here. Quinn offer cover for GB reg cars but I'm looking for some alternative quotes. Anyone know who else offers insurance on GB reg cars?

Cheers

Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Has your current UK insurer refused to insure you while you are here?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Yup. Because I'm living here for ten months and only back in Scotland for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

To be honest you are a resident here at the moment so you may be liable to pay VRT on the car also. Unfortunately you will find it hard to get insured here. You will get covered from home but they will not cover such a long period out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,569 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Quinn will insure the car and others will too but they will pass your name, address and car details on to the Revenue after 42 days of being insured on a policy, this is a condition of the Finance Act passed last year and will be a pain in the hole for you as you will be constantly hassled.

Once you have owned the car for 6 months while living outside Ireland and can verify this you don't have to pay any VRT, you should register the car on Irish plates, much simpler process and you can get easily insured here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Incorrect advice on the VRT matter - students are exempt from the need to register the car in Ireland as they're here for the purpose of education and not permanently.

However the insurance issue is difficult. Some insurers in Ireland will offer short-term cover intended for people importing cars from the UK but will usually insist that you re-plate the car within x amount of time. Mine is insured with Sertus through a broker at the moment and they've given me a max. of 3 months to get the plates changed (waiting for my VRT exemption to come through before anyone panics :D).

Is the car insured at your parents' address in Scotland currently?

• Advertisement
Advertisement