Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerard Brannigan Memorial Cycle

• 08-11-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this? http://www.ivca.info/ Top of column on right.
    Might do the 75km route, that part of the country is flat enough.

Date Sunday 14th November 2010
    Sign-On Opens at 09.00am - Start 10.30am
    Sign-on "Grasshopper" Pub
    Clonee Co. Meath

Two routes will be available – 45 miles (75km) & 20 miles (35km) Both routes will be marked and supervised at all junctions and refreshments will be available after the event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Will be there alright!

Great cycle and a great guy!! The course is handy enough flat all the way as far as I remember. The road between ratoath and skryne is a bit lumpy but nodoubt it will be well controlled....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

jimm wrote: »
    Anyone doing this? http://www.ivca.info/ Top of column on right.
    Might do the 75km route, that part of the country is flat enough.

Date Sunday 14th November 2010
    Sign-On Opens at 09.00am - Start 10.30am
    Sign-on "Grasshopper" Pub
    Clonee Co. Meath

Two routes will be available – 45 miles (75km) & 20 miles (35km) Both routes will be marked and supervised at all junctions and refreshments will be available after the event

How much is the entry ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

No mention of an entry fee. I've never done this event, so don't know if there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thread from last year here. Almost totally free of any useful information, but there you go. :D

It turned out to be shorter and faster than we expected. Good fun.

I think entry fee is the usual 10/20 quid plus day licence if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

should be doing it but not on the fixie this time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

should be doing it but not on the fixie this time

What was it with you lot last year and doing sportive's on fixie's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

That one was easy on the fixie. There was only one hill that I remember and even that was ok. Last year was my 1st and only century on the fixie. If I can I'll do it again this year, probably on the road bike though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like a nice easy sportive to pop my cherry on. Any other sportive virgins thinking about it?

seamus wrote: »
    Looks like a nice easy sportive to pop my cherry on. Any other sportive virgins thinking about it?

I wouldn't call it easy. From what I recall it was a fast mass group ride/hammerfest. Well organised, but carnage is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it easy. From what I recall it was a fast mass group ride/hammerfest. Well organised, but carnage is possible.

Well, you can do it that way but we, lacking gears, had a very civilised time somewhere behind you lot.

Wasn't it longer last year? Are the vets getting soft?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

niceonetom wrote: »

Wasn't it longer last year?

Didn't you lot get lost somewhere?

I clocked it at only 38.1 miles (61.3km), and just over 250m of climbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

bcmf wrote: »
    What was it with you lot last year and doing sportive's on fixie's.

I love my fixie ... This year dont want to miss out on the free tea and sambos ... did I mention, we also got lost last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Did it last year with the fixie crowd on my....singlespeed...it was cold but quite enjoyable, hopefully will do it again this year.

I love my fixie ... This year dont want to miss out on the free tea and sambos ... did I mention, we also got lost last year.

Recurring theme-sportives -> fixies -> getting lost

niceonetom wrote: »
    Well, you can do it that way but we, lacking gears, had a very civilised time somewhere behind you lot.

Wasn't it longer last year? Are the vets getting soft?

Anything with a mass start is a race, because if you don't finish with the lead group you've been dropped, and being dropped is losing, and if it's loseable it's a race. Or something.

Anyway, last year the posted distance was the same. I don't why it came up short, maybe the vets were having problems with these newfangled kilometre things.

Anyway, last year the posted distance was the same. I don't why it came up short, maybe the vets were having problems with these newfangled kilometre things.

Was there not roadworks around Batterstown or Rathoath or somewhere like that which meant it varied from MMR.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Anything with a mass start is a race, because if you don't finish with the lead group you've been dropped, and being dropped is losing, and if it's loseable it's a race. Or something.

You girls tryin' to get a rise?
    :cool:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't why it came up short, maybe the vets were having problems with these newfangled kilometre things.
    TBH their proper races are the same - they simply round up. A race billed as 70km is probably around 62km

However I don't think the vets are completely to blame here - I think this event is something to do with Orwell Wheelers ....

I did a Gerard Brannigan Memorial, if memory serves me, from The Scout Den in Ballinteer a few years ago. An Orwell event alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Beasty wrote: »
    However I don't think the vets are completely to blame here - I think this event is something to do with Orwell Wheelers ....

More info here from Orwell: http://www.orwellwheelers.org/news-and-events/241-gerry-brannigan-memorial.html

Gerry Brannigan Memorial

Gerry Brannigan was a valued and enthusiastic member of Orwell Wheelers who passed away aged just 52 years of age in October 2006.
    A benevolent fund to assist bereaved families of IVCA/Cycling Ireland members was created in Gerry’s name and a fund raising bike ride which honours his memory has quickly established itself as an absolute ‘must do’ event for club cyclists throughout Leinster and beyond.
    With the racing and sportive season already a distant memory the Gerry Brannigan Memorial is a great opportunity for club riders to meet up and ride a not too testing 65km course around Meath.
    This year’s event takes place on the 14th November and starts and finishes at Clonee at 10.30am. Entry is €20 and Orwell members are being asked to assist with marshalling duties on the day.

• Advertisement

Anyone cycling out from the Southside for this?

Planet X wrote: »
    Anyone cycling out from the Southside for this?

You know it!

Well, maybe, my cousin's 30th is on tonight and I'm looking to do some damage, but I also want to do some damage of the cycling kind tomorrow, so I may just have to suck it up and go out hungover....

...if I make it home :)

Thought you had the sauce under wraps...........and that's not including last weekend either.............:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Thought you had the sauce under wraps...........and that's not including last weekend either.............:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Last weekend it was very much under wraps, but I have not had a great week with this new job so feck it, I'm out to get blotto.

I'll give you a call in the morning though, what time would you be leaving Stillorgan?

Not sure if I'm going at all. Just want to see if there are any definites from South of the river. Maybe hook up in town or something.
    I'm in two minds at the moment.
    Have to wash the bike and all that jazz.

Bike washed. :)
    Kit, Boards or Club?

Kit, Boards or Club?

It's going to be cold; I'll be in club kit.

Full on winter kit, totally unbranded and boring colours. I feel dirty.

^ You deffo going out then?

Meet up at what time? 8:30? Hour cycle out? Through Phoenix Park?

You'll be pulled for drunk driving aswell.........

• Advertisement

^ You deffo going out then?

Meet up at what time? 8:30? Hour cycle out? Through Phoenix Park?

You'll be pulled for drunk driving aswell.........

No no, I'll restrain myself on the drinking front.

8:30 N11 Stillorgan by the Esso?

Opposite Stil. Park 'otel?

Opposite Stil. Park 'otel?

Sounds good, see you then.

Check.

well that was ok then wasnt it? The gardai did a decent enough job but I think when the motorbike guy stopped on the roundabout that was a little scary but it was a good spin and the sambos were nice.....first time I put on weight during a cycle.....

Nice to to see the pros at front slowing it down at the start so we all froze to death!!!

Turned out nice in the end. Chilly earlier on. Great food. I'm going to open my bottle of Long Mountain pronto. Raffle win. :D:D

113k in the end.

• Advertisement

Turned out nice in the end. Chilly earlier on. Great food. I'm going to open my bottle of Long Mountain pronto. Raffle win. :D:D

113k in the end.

You should have been passing that around in the park!

Good spin, I'll take your distance + 10km so, need to start using garmin autostart.

It really did turn into a hammerfest at the end, amazing there weren't more accidents on the run into Dunboyne, cars being stopped in the middle of the roundabouts, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Only got going really when we got out onto the Summerhill road. Earlier did my marshalling bit at Ratoath and was frozen while standing there for 15 minutes. Group was massive as it went by.

Stayed up towards the front myself until we came across the guy parked (Passat?)on the hard shoulder as we headed back to Clonee. The first few guys managed to dink to the right but I couldn't giving the speed differential as I was braking. He nearly reversed over me.

Anyway good day and fair play to the garda and the civil defense for their marshalling work.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Stayed up towards the front myself until we came across the guy parked (Passat?)on the hard shoulder as we headed back to Clonee. The first few guys managed to dink to the right but I couldn't giving the speed differential as I was braking. He nearly reversed over me.

C-class Mercedes. I saw you swerving around him.

Thanks for the raffle ticket btw, didn't win anything (never do!) but it was appreciated nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    C-class Mercedes.

German cars all look the same now anyway!

The cop stopped because there was a big steel nut from a lorry in the middle of the road so I guess he was concerned about somebody hitting it and he stopped the commissaires car.. so we attacked hahaha

• Advertisement

morana wrote: »
    The cop stopped because there was a big steel nut from a lorry in the middle of the road so I guess he was concerned about somebody hitting it and he stopped the commissaires car.. so we attacked hahaha

He was worried about people hitting a small nut and crashing so he decided to stop a big ass audi in the middle of the roundabout instead? Fair enough :)

Advertisement